New MacBooks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    The current MacBook is looking a little tired and a refresh would indeed be welcome. In keeping with market trends, DVD burners as standard, better graphics and improved processors would be expected.

As for design, an aluminium enclosure would look sweet and add 'value' to the line. A price drop would be even nicer

Hang on 'till mid November.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiMac View Post

The current MacBook is looking a little tired and a refresh would indeed be welcome.

As for design, an aluminium enclosure would look sweet and add 'value' to the line. A price drop would be even nicer

Any ideas on MB Pros ?? could it be .. that we see a new model also mid November ??
  • Reply 23 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiMac View Post

The current MacBook is looking a little tired and a refresh would indeed be welcome. In keeping with market trends, DVD burners as standard, better graphics and improved processors would be expected.

I really thought this would be the year Apple retired the Combo Drive... sadly not. I do think it's unacceptable to put a combo drive in a £700 laptop. Even PC's in the £350 price range have DVD burners.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    Hello there! This is my first post and I must admit that I came to this forum for the same reason the person who started this thread did.........I am looking into buying a Macbook.

I was/am looking at the 2.16 Ghz, 160 Gig HD,2 Gig RAM Macbook in black.It was gonna set me back $1,534 which is about £750 if im correct. But before making the purchase( as it is a very big purchase for me) I wanted to see if there were any major updates coming. Being as I've had an Apple nerd for a teacher my last two years in high school, I have come to learn that Apple almost always on a yearly basis come out with upgraded products. My current PC is on its last legs. I don't need a new computer at this moment but I would really,really appreciate it.

So my question is.......what are the possibiltes that the Macbook gets upgraded? Or is it a well known accepted fact that it will happen and that its just a matter of time?I would really hate to spend $1,500 on a computer just to know it will be outdated in a matter of months.

Also,on a side note, if you do think i should go ahead and buy the MB right now, would you suggest I get it in white as it will save me about $130. I do like it in black and white but the reason I chose black

was because i'm afraid the white one will get rather dirty looking over time.

I would appreciate any and all input on this matter. Thank You.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Yes... MBs should be receiving an update pretty soon. Last year there were updated in November and then 6 months later (May 2007)... they received a slight CPU speed bump. November 2007 should make them 6 months old once again... just after Leopard in October. I'd wait if I were you.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DannyJ47 View Post

I would appreciate any and all input on this matter. Thank You.

Have a look here: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ MacBooks were last updated on the 15th of May, but just a small processor speed bump and RAM upgrade (still with combo drive ) I think it may be a while before we see any update, maybe even be at Mac World San Francisco in January.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xflare View Post

Have a look here: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ MacBooks were last updated on the 15th of May, but just a small processor speed bump and RAM upgrade (still with combo drive ) I think it may be a while before we see any update, maybe even be at Mac World San Francisco in January.

This is the big sh** ,because i have to buy it before the holiday season kicks is.

Or i'll loose another 6 months .. maybe even more ., because i'll spend the time in EU.

Could they present the new ones before December ??
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Apple introduced the iBooks with colors years ago...

In todays world you have Dell doing the same....

Apple will have the iPod classic colors all over the next MacBooks, why the hell not?
  • Reply 29 of 57
    if Apple wants to "go for the holiday" (aka iPhone open letter), i wish they update macbook as well, grey and black, Super drive across the model, 1 GB (one module) across the model and some form of Graphics on the high end model...

and some updates to MBP as well

then Macs and iPod, iPhone sales are going to be a hit this hoilday...
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Yeah...I am waiting for the macbook update as well. But since Leopard hasn't come out, I don't mind waiting. Kill two birds with one stone as they say.

I too agree that there is a good chance the new macbooks will have an aluminum look as well. Steve Jobs has recently touted aluminum as being environmentally friendly and recyclable. And it has shown. The new ipods? Brushed Aluminum. The new imac? Same. It's therefore logical to assume the macbooks who are the last holdouts with a plastic body, will embrace the aluminum look as well.

I'm all for it. Not only for the environment, but because it looks classier too.

The only question is when?

I'm guessing October/November.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    A new keyboard is sorely needed. The flat keys are STUPID. And the SHARP edges...the case is terrible. I think those things are just as important as better specs and a lower price. It's one of the worst case designs they've let out the door. John Ives must have been on vacation when they designed it or something.

Kudos to the sustainable design as well! I'm tired of the white anyway, it gets dirty, looks cheap, etc. Bring on the aluminum!
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Actually, I LIKE the new flat key design. So do alot of people it seems.

Apple doesn't look like they are going to change that. They even put it on the keypad for the new imacs.

But I do hope they update the case of the macbook.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    It seems there are as many people who loathe the flat keyboard as like it. Personally I don't like the thing at all (reminds me of the ZX Spectrum of old).

Yuk!

The white plastic case now looks cheap and should be retired.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    I quite liked that Spectrum keyboard even though I never owned one, although the new Apple keyboard flat keys are much nicer to use and they don't wobble
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Personally I think the MacBook keys are nice, they're less prone to getting junk between them than other laptop keys and they're comfortably spaced and classy looking. I think, like it or not, we can all agree that they aren't going anywhere; Apple's general trend is unifying its keyboard style across the lineup as evidenced by the introduction of their new desktop keyboards for the iMac and Mac Pro. I think it's almost a sure thing that, given Apple's obsession with unified design (the increasing pervasion of aluminum throughout the product lineup, for example), they'll be bringing this keyboard to the MacBook Pro with that next product revision as well.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haiduc210 View Post

Personally I think the MacBook keys are nice, they're less prone to getting junk between them than other laptop keys and they're comfortably spaced and classy looking. I think, like it or not, we can all agree that they aren't going anywhere; Apple's general trend is unifying its keyboard style across the lineup as evidenced by the introduction of their new desktop keyboards for the iMac and Mac Pro. I think it's almost a sure thing that, given Apple's obsession with unified design (the increasing pervasion of aluminum throughout the product lineup, for example), they'll be bringing this keyboard to the MacBook Pro with that next product revision as well.

IT's very nice in the Macbooks.. but i'd rather hate it in a Macbook Pro.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

A new keyboard is sorely needed. The flat keys are STUPID. And the SHARP edges...the case is terrible. I think those things are just as important as better specs and a lower price. It's one of the worst case designs they've let out the door. John Ives must have been on vacation when they designed it or something.

Kudos to the sustainable design as well! I'm tired of the white anyway, it gets dirty, looks cheap, etc. Bring on the aluminum!

I was leery of the new keyboard but now find it hard to go back to my old one. Typing on the flat keys seems faster and more "punchier."

As far as white for Macbooks I too say good riddance. Gets very grungy looking after a year or so.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hm. I guess it's a preference thing with the keyboard. I'd thought the majority of people were opposed to the flat keys though. I miss my old PowerBook G4 keyboard, its keys were SO nice. People wrote rave reviews about the keyboard. It's one of the reasons I got one. Ah well. If they cut the edges and kill the white plastic that'll be good enough for me I suppose. I'm probably going to spring for a new MacBook sometime in the next half a year to a year. I'm employing a new strategy of frequent MacBook upgrades vs. infrequent MacBook Pro upgrades; seems like you get more bang for your buck that way. I hope they update the MB graphics and RAM maximum.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    I'm just about to ship off my powerbook g4, I'm really wanting to upgrade. Already sold it on ebay so there isn't any going back now! Anyways, are the keyboards on the new MBP that much different from the powerbooks? I have seen the macbook's keyboard upclose and I'm not sure what I think about it. I have messed around with it a few times, and it isn't that bad to the touch, but I think if I got an MB it would be black, so dirt and grunge would not be a problem for me. I'm also a very large fan of the new standard keyboard that they debut with the new imacs... I just never really liked their standard desktop keyboard, to sticky.

I'm also on the look out for news on updates because I don't to drop 1.5k and then be outdated in a month :/ seems like I should wait till these new penyryn (sp?) chips are dropped...
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bestgolfer View Post

Lots of interesting opinions and ideas presented in this thread. I guess the common thrust relates to Apple adding increased value to the MacBook line. To me, this is more important than the colour, ie white or metallic finish. I am not suggesting a new finish, or updated enclosure would not be welcome.

Key 'desired' features are surely........speed enhancements, hard drive capacity up a touch, inclusion of a DVD burner as standard, back lit keyboard. A bit thinner would be a nice touch.

Oh, I almost forgot, a $100 price drop across the range!

You and I are on the exact same wavelength my friend. Pretty much my thoughts exactly as far as desired upgrades. I have been patiently waiting for an update to the MacBook line for some time now and hoping with the release of Leopard right around the corner that we will see the above mentioned upgraded features by the Holiday season.