Apple issues AirPort Base Station, keyboard software updates

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Monday released software updates targeting its 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station and its new aluminum Apple Keyboard.

AirPort Base Station Update 2007-002

AirPort Base Station Update 2007-002 for the Mac [7.7MB] includes general fixes and compatibility updates for AirPort Utility, AirPort Disk Utility, and AirPort Base Station Agent.

More specifically, the update bumps AirPort Utility to version 5.2.1. The software supports the AirPort Extreme Base Station with 802.11n, AirPort Extreme Base Station and AirPort Express Base Station.

Separately, Apple also released AirPort Base Station Update 2007-002 for Windows XP and Vista [6.9MB]. That version includes general fixes and compatibility updates for AirPort Utility, AirPort Base Station Agent, and AirPort Disks Control Panel.

Keyboard Software Update 1.1

Earlier in the day, Apple released a 32MB Keyboard Software Update v1.1.

In a brief set of release notes, the company said the software allows its new aluminum keyboard to take advantage of the special features.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    It bears repeating . . .

updates to Airport Extreme are always appreciated.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Earlier in the day, Apple released a 32MB Keyboard Software Update v1.1.

Is it just me, or does 32mb sound like alot for a keyboard update??? I remember when microsoft office used to fit on 10 floppy disks... OMG... I sound like my dad!
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Updated, all is well.

Nice UI updates. Better placement of "Manual setup" button. They worked in the password assistant/generator next to all of the password fields.

New options appear in Airport Utility's preferences... You can now specify when to check for updates, and to Monitor basestations on your network for problems. That is, when a Airport blinks Amber, Airport utility lets you know, and begins walking you through troubleshooting.

Quote:

Select "Monitor base stations for problems" to investigate problems that may cause the base station's status light to blink amber. With the checkbox selected, AirPort Utility opens if a problem is detected, and then provides instructions to help resolve the problem. This option monitors all of the base stations on the network.

At this time, I tested to see after how long the AirPort Utility would open up from having an interruption, and it did not do so. Although when I had the utility open, it did alert me that there was a problem.

The last option in the preferences allows you to only monitor stations that you've configured.

Apple also notes:

Quote:

Monitoring base stations for problems requires an AirPort Extreme Base Station that supports AirPort Base Station Firmware 7.0 or later, and AirPort Utility 5.2 or later.

• Reply 4 of 14
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    I also note it identifies my AIrport Extreme as "(Fast Ethernet)". I guess in comaprison to the revised ones with Gigabit ports.

Darn, I sure with I could upgrade mine to Gigabit with a software update.

Steve
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demenas View Post

Darn, I sure with I could upgrade mine to Gigabit with a software update.

Steve

They would have to charge you $2.99 for that

(i forgot the exact price but i think that is it)
  • Reply 6 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Speaking of the new keyboard, anyone else get theirs with the key letters and symbols printed crookedly? Mine are tilted off to the left and look obviously wrong to me, and can be somewhat of a distraction when typing. I'm gonna call Apple tomorrow about it.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Speaking of the new keyboard, anyone else get theirs with the key letters and symbols printed crookedly? Mine are tilted off to the left and look obviously wrong to me, and can be somewhat of a distraction when typing. I'm gonna call Apple tomorrow about it.

I noticed that too, only after you said something. They look skewed more than titled, like straight but slightly off. Oh well, I didn't really notice it until you said something. Not a problem for me, maybe because my keyboard is at an angle?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Is it just me, or does 32mb sound like alot for a keyboard update???

Quote:

In a brief set of release notes, the company said the software allows its new aluminum keyboard to take advantage of the special features.

Seems like it's the other way around, the system is updated so that it can take advantage of the new keyboard. Anyway, the 32mb size seemed so ridiculously large that I dug into packages and they're really updating a bunch of stuff there, CoreImage and other frameworks, a couple of preference panes and even the Dock get replaced by this update. It's also split into PPC and Intel part that add to its weight. Ahhh... yeah, one could fit his entire computig life into 32mb back in the day. Nowadays some obsucre keyboard update can take as much space.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

They would have to charge you $2.99 for that

(i forgot the exact price but i think that is it)

in comparison to the 50-100 dollar hit i'd take selling it on ebay or craigslist just to buy a new one, a 5 dollar patch would have been awesome. i guess i should have read the fine print on the specs sheet before i bought my AE. kills me to have an all mac house with all gigabit ethernet and have a router that if bought 2 weeks later could utilize that speed.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demenas View Post

I also note it identifies my AIrport Extreme as "(Fast Ethernet)". I guess in comaprison to the revised ones with Gigabit ports.

I think "Ethernet" meant 10Mbps. "Fast Ethernet" meant 100Mbps.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thedillydotcom View Post

...could utilize that speed.

lots of people are hit by the suprise updated equipment, i guess thats why they have sites like this. in any case, does anyone know if the 10/1000 ports are useful at all?

i've been looking at NAS storage for a couple weeks now and haven't found any definitive answers. is 10/1000 faster than firewire 800 in everyday life? do HDDs need to be connected via USB?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    There are N class routers selling for about half of what Airport Extreme sells for. Is there a difference in AE that warrants paying that much more?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

There are N class routers selling for about half of what Airport Extreme sells for. Is there a difference in AE that warrants paying that much more?

Airport Extreme base station isn't just a router, so I don't know if it's a fair comparison without knowing what routers you are comparing.

Not only does it finally have a small GigE switch, it can become a NAS if you add USB drives, and is a print server device too. There may be some finer touches with it too, but I've never actually used one.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Airport Extreme base station isn't just a router, so I don't know if it's a fair comparison without knowing what routers you are comparing.

Not only does it finally have a small GigE switch, it can become a NAS if you add USB drives, and is a print server device too. There may be some finer touches with it too, but I've never actually used one.

I should have done some research before I posted that question. I've fallen into the habit of using AI to answer my questions instead doing my own investigations. I've seen ads for the cheaper routers, but I didn't know how to compare them.

Thanks.