Apple preps third iPhone software update

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

I hope you guys are telling Apple what they should include in future updates. http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Nah..... if I were Apple, I would be reading forums such as AI, MR, etc. I sure hope/expect they are.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Nah..... if I were Apple, I would be reading forums such as AI, MR, etc. I sure hope/expect they are.

You bet they do. I can just picture Steve coming back from a day at work and reading thru the forums. Right now he's looking thru the 3G threads and as he's laughing until his belly hurts he's mumbling: "What the hell are they talking about? I had no intentions of giving them a 3G iPhone." And he just laughs. I'm sure 70% of the rumors here are laughed at while he's scrollng thru these threads.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

You bet they do. I can just picture Steve coming back from a day at work and reading thru the forums. Right now he's looking thru the 3G threads and as he's laughing until his belly hurts he's mumbling: "What the hell are they talking about? I had no intentions of giving them a 3G iPhone." And he just laughs. I'm sure 70% of the rumors here are laughed at while he's scrollng thru these threads.

More likely, he has a team of gophers that scours the material, and gives him an exec summary of the various rumor sites every morning.

Following which, I am sure he follows up on one or two. (Esp. along the lines of of "wait till I find that %$#^%#&* leaker......!").

PS: Google has a team that does something similar, btw.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by logic368 View Post

My iPhone's model number says MA712. The iPhone on the webpage shows MA712LL. Is there a difference? Is anybody else's iPhone model number MA712LL?

Not sure why there's a difference in the About screens there, but if you look on your iPhone box, the part # is MA712LL/A
  • Reply 45 of 60
    Video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple this month is expected to release a third software update for its iPhone that will add new features and improve overall stability of the handset's embedded Mac OS X operating system.

I wonder if one of those "overall stability" of the phone's OS is to make the first release of the unlock hack outdated and unusable?
  • Reply 47 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

Video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch, so that it can use the new dock and cable to do video out just like iPod touch,....

dude
  • Reply 48 of 60
    So, does anyone know if I'm correct in assuming that since it's the WiFi Music Store, it won't be accessible via edge? If so, that sucks
  • Reply 49 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

So, does anyone know if I'm correct in assuming that since it's the WiFi Music Store, it won't be accessible via edge? If so, that sucks

While Edge is adequate for email and general web-browsing, I'd wait till i was within WiFi range before I'd try to download multi-MB files over it.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

While Edge is adequate for email and general web-browsing, I'd wait till i was within WiFi range before I'd try to download multi-MB files over it.

Without a doubt. There would nothing worse than allowing EDGE downloads, having it be slow, leading to people screaming bloody murder and wanting their money back!
  • Reply 51 of 60
    I could care less about that lame Wi-Fi iTunes... please Apple, people actually use your products to accomplish work, too. So...

Sync the freaking To-Dos!
  • Reply 52 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullrat View Post

I could care less about that lame Wi-Fi iTunes... please Apple, people actually use your products to accomplish work, too. So...

Sync the freaking To-Dos!

Couldn't agree more. I bet they are waiting for Leopard to be released before adding this feature. Why release it now where it will need to sync with To-Do's in iCal when Leopard will have them buried in the Mail application?
  • Reply 53 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Perhaps its because I'm in an area where there aren't a lot of EDGE users, I get decent EDGE speeds, so long as I'm outdoors or in my car I'll usually have about 5 bars, I doubt it would take more than 2-3 minutes to download a 5MB song.

The other thing that would be nice is if you could subscribe to podcasts with it too.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    After looking at this series of screenshots, I'd be surprised to see the new iPod Touch iTunes icon on the iPhone's home screen following the next software update.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dapple View Post

After looking at this series of screenshots, I'd be surprised to see the new iPod Touch iTunes icon on the iPhone's home screen following the next software update.

The iTunes WIFI Music Store is coming to the iPhone. Steve Jobs said it in the keynote.

• Reply 56 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Steve has to continue to update the iPhone because the reality is that it is an unfinished device that can't effectively compete with many of the none music playing phones on the market. Apple did surprisingly well selling its first million phones but there are a huge number of us out there that need just a bit more in a cell phone / pocket computer.

Pocket computing is really why I would buy the iPhone. That is E-Mail and the WWW are more important to me than the music and cell phone. Well that and a lot of other computing tools. As soon as these firm up in an update and a few hardware issues are fixed this could very well be my cell phone replacement.

As to those tools Safari isn't to bad, it just needs to stabilize a bit more. E-Mail is a different thing though, that app needs to be more robust. As far as tools that aren't there yet, a File manager is a requirement, as is disk mode, better bluetooth access, an Apple supported terminal, better PIM tools, as everybody else has stated COPY AND PASTE, the ability to launch PDF's and various other file formats and have them come up in proper viewers.

Of all the features the one I see as most important is the file manager/browser. From there a bunch of things are possible. It will make the maintenance of your iPhone self contained. It should provide a much clearer view of what is in your storage space and make find stuff much easier. It would like wise be very helpful if Safari could browse the local file system, which at the minute I understand that it can't.

This doesn't even include the needs of the enterprise. This of course varies dramatically from business to business.

Nope as I see it they have to update the machine if they expect to continue to advance sales beyond the million that they have milked already.

Dave

Ummmm, who the hell needs Safari to browse their file system or to have a clearer view of what is in your storage space? How is it even complicated now? There's music, videos, photos that take up the majority of space. And that's displayed when you sync. What else takes up a significant amount of room? The 'features' you talk about would be good for a small percentage of users. Besides, that small percentage are probably tech savvy people and have already hacked it to get their file navigation that you see as being so important. The majority of users want MMS, copy/paste, bluetooth syncing, productivity features and so on.

The iPhone is a developing platform, so I expect useful features to be added in the coming weeks/months. I knew what I was buying when I stood in line, but I also expect great advancement from Apple and this phone.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    Has anyone noticed that the calculator icon has changed?

• Reply 58 of 60
    I think you guys should stop asking for MMS as its not going to happen. Something as trivial would have been initially on the handset. If the camera on the iphone was more advanced or had more settings to it then maybe perhaps they would have given MMS and an allowance as part of the tarrif but they didnt.

Bluetooth is near useless on the iphone, they should first start to maybe allow file transfer via Bluetooth as they can be used for things such as sending contacts ect...
  • Reply 59 of 60
    Engadget's pics of the UK iPhone with OS ver 1.1.1 (3B20) shows some interesting additions, including international settings/keyboard, TV out, Edge roaming ON/OFF, VPN, iTunes store, new calculator, iPod controls, home button prefs and other goodies. Looks like "Sound Check" was removed from the iPod settings.
  • Reply 60 of 60
    COPY & PASTE PLEASE!

I have a very bad feeling that this is NOT an easy thing to implement and that the entire "touch" engine was not designed to do it?