Drivecleaner

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was visiting Haaretz, the Israeli newspaper and had just detoured to another site when my browser window gets tgaken over by Drivecleaner. I see Symantec has a page on it for Windows users, and I saw a post from last week on it at Macrumors downplaying it.

What's the deal? Is this app a cookie that get's downloaded via an advertisement on a visited website? (I never click on those windows that say you have a security problem, etc)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ptrash View Post

I was visiting Haaretz, the Israeli newspaper and had just detoured to another site when my browser window gets tgaken over by Drivecleaner. I see Symantec has a page on it for Windows users, and I saw a post from last week on it at Macrumors downplaying it.

What's the deal? Is this app a cookie that get's downloaded via an advertisement on a visited website? (I never click on those windows that say you have a security problem, etc)

I CONSTANTLY get my browser hijacked by errorsafe.com and drivecleaner.com popups while using the Haaretz website. It only happens on their website. On a mac, it does not infect your system, but it still is an inconveneience -- you have to force-quit your browser to get out of it.

I have sent numerous emails to various editors and executives at Haaretz about this issue, giving detailed descriptions and screen captures. The have NEVER acknowledged even one, much less provided me with a meaningful response. I intend to keep contacting them, if for no other reason that to annoy them in recognition of their contempt for their users.

My suggestion is that you do the same. The following page contains email links for all of the editors and managers at Haaretz:

people at haaretz

p.s. if you go and look at your cookies you will indeed find cookies from errorsafe.com and drivecleaner.com -- removing them does not protect you from the popups occurring in the future. I've already tried this.