The Rant Thread!!

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
OK folks. One rant per post. Nothing political (that goes in PO). I'll begin:

"PENULTIMATE" DOES NOT MEAN "REALLY, REALLY ULTIMATE"!!! GAH!!! IT MEANS "NEXT TO LAST"!!!!

See?

Rant away.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Use your cruise-control!

*Today I was driving home on 22 (which between State College and Harrisburg is absolutely gorgeous) when a late-model top of the line Honda Civic was in the passing lane alternately speeding up and slowing down because the driver wasn't using the cruise control. This is very annoying. If you don't have a steady foot on the throttle, then use your cruise control! (There's especially no excuse when you're driving that Civic model, which has an instantly responsive cruise control compared to the more sluggish, less responsive older models. And of course there's no excuse if you have adaptive cruise control either).
  • Reply 2 of 105
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I bought a Penultimate by Bic. I've only bought one more pen since.

My rant: Begs the question.

Doesn't mean "raises the question" or "makes you think of the question." It means circular reasoning, it means your proof just begged or restated the conclusion.
  • Reply 3 of 105
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    "Bias" is not a freaking adjective or verb! It is a noun!

When you say "That is really bias of you", an angel's head assplodes!
  • Reply 4 of 105
    Dear Television,

Please stop putting every larger, noisier and more frenetic promos for your other shows on top of the shows you are showing now.

And do you have someone whose actual job is to figure out where the emotional payoff point is in any given show, so that you can be sure, at that point, to have little people run out across the bottom of the screen and do jumping jacks and blow shit up and making hooting noises, just as the shattering truth is revealed?

You are stupid, stupid, venal, asshatted, stupid motherfuckers, and you surely deserve to have your empires reduced to smoldering ruins.

Regards,

Addabox
  • Reply 5 of 105
    I do not like people who loudly smack their flip-flops.

Those who do should be beaten with said flip-flops.
  • Reply 6 of 105
    Dear Apple Insider Discussion Board,

Please allow me to edit my above post, changing "every" to "every", and stop telling me that my message is too short and must be at least 5 characters long.

MY MESSAGE IS MUCH MORE THAN 5 CHARACTERS, YOU BASTARD!!!

What, does my edit have to be at least 5 characters?

And don't think I've forgotten about how you ruptured the space/time continuum and let people reply to posts before they had been made!
  • Reply 7 of 105
    All of you stupid stupid insipidly stupid talking/bobble head talk show/latenight show people who have been talking about about vacuous people (generally good-looking young tarts) who do nothing worthwhile, contribute nothing worthwhile [barring muff shots for young teens], ya da ya da,

Yet you talk about them on your shows, and now to add insult to injury, you now talk about how worthless these people are, and have finally started saying that you serve no purpose in talking about them, yet you continue to do it.

For fucking Gods sake you are now talking about not talking about people who do not deserve to be talked about, or even mentioned in sane company.

Will you now start talking about not talking about not talking about these people. Can you see the damned DOUBLE NEGATIVE in the sentences you speak??? Or will you now start talking about NOT talking about NOT talking about NOT talking about talking about these god-damned people.

Will you fucking PLEASE start a segment on your tv show thats says WE WILL NOT TALK ABOUT VACUOUS BITCHES! and let it go with that??????????????????????

Since my brain did not explode I must feel better.

Paz
  • Reply 8 of 105
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

"Here, here!"

It's "Hear! Hear!" you morans, as in "Hear what he has to say! Hear!"

It's morons, you moran. I mean moron.

What bugs me is when people leave stuff behind that is totally unwelcome. When I go for some butter or margarine, I don't want to have some of what the last person ate too. When I go for a shower, I don't want someone else's pubic hair floating across my body. When I go to the toilet, I don't want someone's leftover business to greet me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rufusswan

All of you stupid stupid insipidly stupid talking/bobble head talk show/latenight show people who have been talking about about vacuous people (generally good-looking young tarts) who do nothing worthwhile, contribute nothing worthwhile [barring muff shots for young teens]...

Yeah that one's pretty high on my list too.
  • Reply 9 of 105
    Such trivial things rile the left.
  • Reply 10 of 105
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Dear Traffic Planners:

Why do I have to hit every FUCKING light on a road for twelve miles? Can you not plan this better? AHHHHHHH! Do you plan at all, motherfuckers?

And why....WHY...do people go 1/2 speed or less when it rains...on LOCAL roads!

Irregardless is not technically a word!

Respond to e-mails within 24 hours, assholes!
  • Reply 11 of 105
    Dear idiotic undergrad passengers in fast moving cars,

I am a cyclist. I know you are passing me, you don't need to yell to make your presence known. You certainly don't need to do it every time you pass me after I have overtaken the vehicle in which you are stationed. Yes, I realize that gas driven automobiles are faster than bikes, and I understand you want to celebrate the fact that your lazy ass cannot be bothered attempting even a small iota of self-propelled motion, but there are those of us who realize that within city limits, our cycling carries us faster-farther than your fossil-fuel driven steel cage. You don't hear me yelling at you every time I pass you on the approach to lights, now do you. Common courtesy demands that you extend the same respect.

In addition, when your bitches get out of said automobile, do tell them not to stand in the way of my bicycle, as you wouldn't let them stand in the way of a moving car...
  • Reply 12 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Dear Traffic Planners:

Why do I have to hit every FUCKING light on a road for twelve miles? Can you not plan this better? AHHHHHHH! Do you plan at all, motherfuckers?

Hell, yeah. I always imagine how much extra gas it's taking for everybody to stop, accelerate, go 100 feet, stop, accelerate, over and over again. I think the traffic planners must think it's funny.

WILL YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY WHEN I COME FOR YOU, NAMELESS BUREAUCRATIC FUCKTARDS?????!!!

ALSO, ahem, also: if you are already halfway past the side street you wanted to turn left on, while in the far right lane of a multi-lane road, when you figure out that that's where you want to go, YOU MUST GIVE IT UP AND GO AROUND THE BLOCK AND TRY AGAIN, YOU STUPID DICKWEEDS.

You may not simply make an abrupt ninety degree turn, blocking several lanes, and start making your way across traffic like you are fording a fucking stream, so that I may come upon you holy fucking shit perpendicular to me in the midst of traffic in the middle of damn road, stopped, like the unbelievable asshat that you are.
  • Reply 13 of 105
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    Dear AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile.. etc etc

stop giving out your trashy mobile phone handsets tied to your plans... give us a choice of better models.

NO, not everyone likes the stupid flip-phones and slider phones... give us some decent 'candy-bar' handsets.

NO, not everyone likes an antenna sticking out of the phone... that design is obsolete in many other parts of the globe... give us a decent model with internal antenna.

Windows mobile sucks... give some decent Linux smartphones... bribe/sue Apple into breaking the 2 year exclusive with AT&T for the iPhone.

Nokia... where the f*** are you? how come no one in the US knows about your handests & how user-friendly they (well, most of them) are?

Samsung, LG... you have better models in Asian & European markets.. why the f*** don;t you get them here in the US?

Kyocera... you suck... stop making s**t & labeling them as handsets.

Palm, you were big... got it?... note the emphasis on "WERE"... past tense... shed some weight... you can do better

Motorola... weren't you guys the first in mobile handsets? what the f*** happened? it's not all about how it looks... your UI sucks! improve!!!

Blackberry... well, nothing much against you guys... just make sure you don't lose touch with reality...

Apple/iPhone... perhaps not all hope is lost yet... kick ass while you can... before wisdom dawns upon the others... for now, you're untouchable, baby!!

just my 2c after being in the US for 3 months & seeing what pathetic s**t is sold here as mobile phones...
  • Reply 14 of 105
    Myself really can't stand it when people use "myself" instead of "me" or "I" because having twice as many syllables makes you sound more edumacated.

And stop using "absolutely" when all you mean to say, with one-fourth the syllables, is "yes."
  • Reply 15 of 105
    Penultimate doesn't mean next to last. It means third to last, or next to next to last.

One thing I hate is when you type up an entire message but it gets lost. Like in an IM client when you send to someone but they aren't online and it just says "Sorry their not online", but you don't have what you typed. The same thing happens on AI sometimes when it doesn't think you are logged in but you are.
  • Reply 16 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spindler View Post

Penultimate doesn't mean next to last. It means third to last, or next to next to last.

One thing I hate is when you type up an entire message but it gets lost. Like in an IM client when you send to someone but they aren't online and it just says "Sorry their not online", but you don't have what you typed. The same thing happens on AI sometimes when it doesn't think you are logged in but you are.

Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry:

pen·ul·ti·mate

Pronunciation:

\\pi-ˈnəl-tə-mət\\

Function:

adjective

Date:

1 : next to the last <the penultimate chapter of a book>
  • Reply 17 of 105
    Wow.

• Reply 18 of 105
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    GAH I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE THINK "PENULTIMATE" MEANS NEXT TO NEXT TO LAST!! GAH!!! EVERYONE KNOWS THE WORD FOR THAT IS "ANTEPENULTIMATE"!!!

• Reply 19 of 105
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Reply 20 of 105
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Myself really can't stand it when people use "myself" instead of "me" or "I" because having twice as many syllables makes you sound more edumacated.

And stop using "absolutely" when all you mean to say, with one-fourth the syllables, is "yes."

Absolutely!

AND DEAR PEOPLE OF THE ENGLISH-SPEAKING WORLD: "WHOM" IS NOT A WORD THAT YOU USE JUST BECAUSE IT SEEMS MORE FORMAL THAN "WHO." THERE IS A FRIGGIN' RULE, PEOPLE! LEARN IT!