Easy 3D animation apps?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anybody know of any 3D animation apps similar to MediaStage that work on Mac?

http://www.immersiveeducation.com/mediastage/

I am making a short animated film but am using FrameForge3D (which is great for what it is intended to be) and creating each frame by hand and then making a stop-motion video that looks, well, like a stop-motion video. I want to make more videos in the future and don't want to spend that much time on them as my main focus is on something else; the video is just an element of the overall package.

Does anyone use Maya, Blender or any of the other 3D apps? If so, how easy would they be to use to create, for example, a training video for new staff members at a company? The contents would be simple scenes (office, stage, hall) and people; nothing fancy like Gollum or characters of that sort. I would need a group of about 10 characters and various props for them to use (one scenario is serving tea during a business meeting: this would need cups, a platter, etc). Also, how tough is it to create facial expressions? FF3D has this as a built-in, easy to use feature.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Anybody know of any 3D animation apps similar to MediaStage that work on Mac?

http://www.immersiveeducation.com/mediastage/

I am making a short animated film but am using FrameForge3D (which is great for what it is intended to be) and creating each frame by hand and then making a stop-motion video that looks, well, like a stop-motion video. I want to make more videos in the future and don't want to spend that much time on them as my main focus is on something else; the video is just an element of the overall package.

Does anyone use Maya, Blender or any of the other 3D apps? If so, how easy would they be to use to create, for example, a training video for new staff members at a company? The contents would be simple scenes (office, stage, hall) and people; nothing fancy like Gollum or characters of that sort. I would need a group of about 10 characters and various props for them to use (one scenario is serving tea during a business meeting: this would need cups, a platter, etc). Also, how tough is it to create facial expressions? FF3D has this as a built-in, easy to use feature.

cinema 4d is pretty nifty.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    The short answer is there is no magic bullet. Maya is an awesome app, with near-limitless capabilities, but the learning curve is steep. Other apps may be a bit more point and click, but lack power or flexibility.

Short answer: there is no quick, easy way to do 3D, IMHO. Your best bet is to get someone with some degree of familiarity to help out on the 3D.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I am slowly coming to that conclusion, or I might just stick with FrameForge3D... I know it and it does the trick, although not as smoothy as I would like.

The apps are also quite expensive... Hiring an artist is expensive, too, though, and not many live in my town.

Poser at least has lip-syncing, so I will give it a try this week during the evenings. If only I had started dabbling with one of these apps back a while...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Maya is pretty good for doing character animation, which seems like that's your goal. There are some student packages that are much cheaper, and you might want to see if you can tap into one of those. It has a pretty medicore renderer, but it should be fine for your purposes.

As for the learning curve, if it were that steep, it wouldn't be so popular with amateur animators. There just happen to be pros who use it to. The bottom line is that it's primarily a subdivision modeler (and animator), and sub-d's are fairly intuitive. The more numerically-inclined mechanical modelers aren't sub-d focused and are much trickier to become efficient with, but it doesn't sound like you're trying to do that kind of thing.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    After a bit of effort that didn't work out the way I wanted, I decided 3D is pretty tough and went to look at 2D. That's when I discovered Toon Boom Studio; I am never going back!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

After a bit of effort that didn't work out the way I wanted, I decided 3D is pretty tough and went to look at 2D. That's when I discovered Toon Boom Studio; I am never going back!

For 2D I was hoping that Anime Studio Pro would do the trick... it's unnecessarily complicated as hell. Really horrible.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Poser is pretty complicated and the UI sucks; I didn't even look at Anime Studio.

Toon Boom is great and I have already created a couple of nice shorts in just a few days (building up my character library along the way). I'm pretty happy so far. Next week is lip syncing...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I use Cheetah3D. It's extremely affordable, and for the price, very powerful. I am not an expert, so don't know if it does what you want, but it does exactly what I need at tiny fraction of the price of many of the other apps mentioned above.

Cheers

Rich
  • Reply 9 of 11
    You might also want to check out Blender. It's a free, open source 3D program and it's pretty powerful, but it might be a bit difficult to learn, but once you got the basics figured out it's a very cool tool!

Check under www.blender.org, there's also a lot of wiki tutorials and you'll find a lot of help in various forums, i really recommend anybody interested in 3D to check it out
  • Reply 10 of 11
    modo is my favorite for modeling and rendering but it doesnt have true charactor animation. For that you should use another program like maya or blender, both of which have free versions.

http://www.luxology.com/whatismodo/
  • Reply 11 of 11
    While we're listing our favorite 3D apps, I recommend Carrara. The new version has better integration with Poser figures and Daz figures.

But, like the other products mentioned, it is a full-blown 3D app, not a movie studio in a box like mediastage appears to be.

- Jasen.