Need a new laptop

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm in the market for a new laptop and am seriously considering the macbook pro, but ive heard that it overheats alot and doesnt have a very long life, is this true? Also should I just wait till November until they release the new tiger osx?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pwnage View Post

I'm in the market for a new laptop and am seriously considering the macbook pro, but ive heard that it overheats alot and doesnt have a very long life, is this true? Also should I just wait till November until they release the new tiger osx?

My 17" 2.4 GHz MBP doesn't get too hot, but I've heard from some folks that have the 15" model that say theirs does, and we're using the same application to measure the temp. They see a 10 degree difference. I don't know if it's the larger case that keeps mine cooler, or just a fluke.

Personally, I'd get it now - and did. My MBP is 4 weeks old. They're always going to release the next best thing in a month or two, not matter what month it is.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    i've heard that the entry level macbook pro doesn't get too hot, but the other macbook pro ( 15 inch one ) gets extremely hot and is unsuitable for your lap D: . i myself went with the macbook pro entry level just because i didn't have the money for the middle one, but i wouldn't be too worried about the heat.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pwnage View Post

I wait and wait ,and wait ... but with the next revision i'm buying .

First of all because of the power consumption - at least 8 hours needed - so you kinda get 4 real hours of work. Secondly - new UI,new OS,running cooler.Stable LED Screens /hopefully/

NAND Flash buffer -a good reason to wait a bit more . And next year it would be just more speed and a bit better battery life - which is not so important after all.

So .,..i wait and wait
  • Reply 4 of 6
    The first revision MBPs got pretty hot, but the newer ones aren't unbearable. Yeah, if you leave them on your lap without any ventilation they're gunna collect heat, but it's not enough not to buy one.

Tripo - There will ALWAYS be better technology on the way.. you could be waiting forever!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    pwnage it really depends on how quickly you need it. if you need it now, buy it. If you can wait a couple weeks get leopard. They are going to update the chipsets in janruary so they are going to have a completely new line of computers.. so if you don't want to be out of date wait till then. No matter what give it a little amount of time and you will be out of date. So, just pick whichever out of date works best for you
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomohr View Post

No matter what give it a little amount of time and you will be out of date. So, just pick whichever out of date works best for you

Exactly ! I want the NAND flash - inclusive-over 6hours of batt.- "out of date " pleeease !