iTunes 7.4.2 addresses iTunes Plus ringtone bug

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Monday evening released iTunes 7.4.2 to address an issue with creating ringtones from iTunes Plus songs and several other unnamed glitches.

"iTunes 7.4.2 addresses an issue with creating ringtones using iTunes Plus song purchases and includes bug fixes to improve stability and performance," the company wrote in a brief set of release notes.

The software is available as a 38.8MB download for Macs and a 49.1MB download for Windows PCs.

iTunes 7.4 lets users create custom ringtones for iPhone from some of the songs available from the iTunes Store. It allows users to play purchased videos with closed captioning (when available), easily rate their favorite albums from one to five stars, and watch videos at a larger size inside the iTunes window.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    FYI, it breaks the free Ringtones workaround. Again. But I bet we all knew that...
  • Reply 2 of 20
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Any word if previously installed ringtones are preserved? Like if installed a custom GarageBand ringtone under 7.4.1.x...
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xool View Post

Any word if previously installed ringtones are preserved? Like if installed a custom GarageBand ringtone under 7.4.1.x...

That's what I meant by my post.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I can't think of any song that I want to make into a ringtone. I just wish they would release a few more optional ringtones because I'm not that fond of any of the current choices. I especially dislike the default Marimba. How about giving us the one they use on the TV commercials?

m
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

How about giving us the one they use on the TV commercials?

m

They also don't include the cool Clown Fish that you see on iPhones in commercials and Demos of Leopard. I like those a lot.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iShawn View Post

FYI, it breaks the free Ringtones workaround. Again. But I bet we all knew that...

The free ringtone workarounds seem to be great motivators for Apple to fix iTunes bugs in a hurry. They don't want to lose the revenue stream so we'll be iterating through the versions quite rapidly.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

I can't think of any song that I want to make into a ringtone. I just wish they would release a few more optional ringtones because I'm not that fond of any of the current choices. I especially dislike the default Marimba. How about giving us the one they use on the TV commercials?

m

Can you make one fromthe long version (16 plus minutes) of Inna Godda Da Vidda? That would drive everyone crazy!
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

The free ringtone workarounds seem to be great motivators for Apple to fix iTunes bugs in a hurry. They don't want to lose the revenue stream so we'll be iterating through the versions quite rapidly.

They wouldn't lose it [mine] if they could bring out more (I'm sure they eventually will). But you know, the music that I listen to isn't well populated on iTunes, or any digital retailer for that matter...
  • Reply 9 of 20
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

... or there is some pretty specific text in those Apple/RIAA agreements.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

That's what I meant by my post.

My question is geared at if iTunes removes existing ringtones from my phone. I understand if it doesn't allow me to sync new ones but I'd be irked if one's I already installed get removed.

So, my question stands:

Any word if previously installed ringtones are preserved? Like if installed a custom GarageBand ringtone under 7.4.1.x will iTunes 7.4.2 remove it?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Ambrosia says iToner still works with 7.4.2. I haven't been home yet to try it myself.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

But you know, the music that I listen to isn't well populated on iTunes, or any digital retailer for that matter...

Yodeling?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feste View Post

Ambrosia says iToner still works with 7.4.2. I haven't been home yet to try it myself.

Ah, I should say it doesn't work with the non-iToners. Sorry.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

Yodeling?

How'd you know!?!?!??!
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Before I could click on the bell icon and sort all the music that was available for making ring tones. Now when I click the bell icon, it displays only the 2 songs I have already made into ring tones. (Prior to that, it would like about 50 songs.)

Could 7.4.2 also have created a new problem?
  • Reply 16 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

They also don't include the cool Clown Fish that you see on iPhones in commercials and Demos of Leopard. I like those a lot.

Huh? There are probably 20,000 clown fish images available on the net that you could use for your iPhone wallpaper. Pick one.

Maybe try this one:

http://www.iphonematters.com/images/...onedesktop.jpg
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Huh? There are probably 20,000 clown fish images available on the net that you could use for your iPhone wallpaper. Pick one.

I don't have the internet.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    So that means some people are going to be updating iTunes every week in order for Apple to break each ringtone hack. What a waste of time and effort.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    I'm getting a little tired of installing all these iPhone updates for iTunes. I'm a huge iTunes customer for music but my market does not have iPhones or even TV/Movies so all these upgrades are a waste of my time and CPU resources.

I wonder if I could launch a frevolous(sp?) law suit on that basis...
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Restalot View Post

I wonder if I could launch a frevolous(sp?) law suit on that basis...

What are you waiting for?!