ipod touch should have ichat, mail & calander!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Love the new ipod touch. I plan to get one.

But I am perplexed as to why Apple didn't give them ichat, mail and calander features.

I think its a tactical error. People that don't want or need a phone will buy the ipod touch...as will people in foreign countries who don't yet have the iphone.

I think alot of people will be upset to learn that there is no ichat feature or mail feature.

The ipod touch is the perfect portable wifi device. Why cripple it? If you could Instant message over wifi on it...or easily check email thru a email program or put in calander notes...it would explode across the world.

Its strange that apple set it up as a pda like device...and yet kept some of the features out that would make it more like a pda. Why? so as not to compete with the iphone? That doesn't make sense from a marketing standpoint. Those that want a phone will buy the iphone. Those that don't...will opt for the ipod touch. So why deny those users some AMAZING features? It doessn't make sense.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Apple will most likely never release these functions for the iPod Touch. They need more than just the cell phone to differentiate the iPhone and the iPod Touch.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    i beg to differ. Some people want a phone. Some do not.

I can understand in the begining, but mark my words...Apple will provide a software update by the end of the year that lets ipod touch users do all those things.

Trust me. :-)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

i beg to differ. Some people want a phone. Some do not.

I can understand in the begining, but mark my words...Apple will provide a software update by the end of the year that lets ipod touch users do all those things.

Trust me. :-)

I doubt it. Calendar entries, maybe. I doubt you'll see iChat or Mail applications on the iPod. Steve wants to make people buy an iPhone for that. The iPhone is a communications device. The iPod Touch is not a communications device.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I too was surprised about the calendar entries until I remembered that Leopard Server was going to have a calendar server. This hints to me that calendar may be completely revamped for Leopard. So we may see a full calendar upgrade when Leopard comes out.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

I too was surprised about the calendar entries until I remembered that Leopard Server was going to have a calendar server. This hints to me that calendar may be completely revamped for Leopard. So we may see a full calendar upgrade when Leopard comes out.

Very intriguing... and also explains (partially) why the Dock is different on the Touch, more like the Leopard Dock. Apple has never had any reservations about having some hardware reaching forward while other reaches back... as product lines get acclimated to new feature sets, etc.

A good example currently, I think, is the Macbook Pro keyboard. The MBP is new hardware, and yet it's fairly obvious what the next iteration of its keyboard will consist of - surely resembling something closer to the Macbook and the iMac than what we currently have.

So, it makes sense that the Touch incorporates a new mobile version of OS X that will eventually come into its own, and now it's in its infancy.

At least, that satisfies me for the time being. I'm still not getting one until I can use it as my scheduler, darnit. I've waited too long for my little Newton for the 21st century!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Can iPhone or iPod Touch sync the iTunes library wirelessly? That to me is the biggest missing feature if they can't. Sure Wi-Fi is not as fast as plugging it in, but most of the time when we sync, all it's doing is copying a few songs or play count information. Would be great to have it automatically sync as soon as it finds your home network.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    they should have an update for the maps as well. that is not going to be on the ipod touch when it is released.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

I doubt it. Calendar entries, maybe. I doubt you'll see iChat or Mail applications on the iPod. Steve wants to make people buy an iPhone for that. The iPhone is a communications device. The iPod Touch is not a communications device.

Not sure I agree with the 'guarantee' of IM, email (and google maps) software, but wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. If the touch is not a communications device, why include wifi? I predict that we will see more apps in the future. The differentiation with iPhone we will see in future generations--faster data network access and integrated GPS, for example....
  • Reply 9 of 9
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    I think a bigger concern is so many reports about how video is dark and lacking details. I think I will wait for mail, calendar, and the dark video before I buy.