Program for C# Programming?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Howdy. Does anyone here know any programs that will let me create and run C# programs on my iMac? It doesn't have to have gallons of bells and whistles; my entire High School Computers class this year is going to be about C# and I'd like to be able to do some work on it at home. All the programs I've come across so far have been so complicated I could barely open them. In fact, a program consisting of a big text field for program editing and a big, red, "RUN PROGRAM" button would more than suffice.

So if anyone knows any programs for doing this, please reply. Thank you.

EDIT: And, yes, I now know this belongs in the Genius Bar.

Whoops.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by C_Flat View Post

Howdy. Does anyone here know any programs that will let me create and run C# programs on my iMac? It doesn't have to have gallons of bells and whistles; my entire High School Computers class this year is going to be about C# and I'd like to be able to do some work on it at home. All the programs I've come across so far have been so complicated I could barely open them. In fact, a program consisting of a big text field for program editing and a big, red, "RUN PROGRAM" button would more than suffice.

So if anyone knows any programs for doing this, please reply. Thank you.

My suggestion is to find a Windows PC, write your programs, submit them to your instructor and get your grade. C# is proprietary Microsoft code for which there appears to be a quasi-hearted opensource attempt to port to Linux/Unix/MacOS X. The Mono project is the major effort. Microsoft has at times also claimed to be porting its crap to the Mac. The best place to checkout the progress appears to be the Open Dental Project.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    2 years ago, I took a C++ class on macs. We used the terminal. I do not remember the exact specifics of it, but what I can remember is:

to create a new program: pico ProgramName.cpp

to compile it: gpp ProgramName.cpp

to run it: ./a.out

hope this helps.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Yeah, that's C++, not C#. C# was created by Microsoft. C++ was not. They're different.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    While C# and .Net were invented by MS, there are open source variants. There are mono and dotGNU for linux, so it's likely that you can install them on OS X and run through X11. Check them out.

Edit: I'm not certain that there's any such thing with a text field and a "big red button." Mono definitely supports OS X: http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page . Since you're writing the software, all you need is a text editor and a command line to compile via mono. That's about as simple as it gets.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Can your iMac run Fusion or Parallels? If so, I would install Windows XP and use that. If you didn't already know this, you can download C# Express for free off of Microsoft's site...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

Yeah, that's C++, not C#. C# was created by Microsoft. C++ was not. They're different.

Oh, I just assumed that the '#' was a shortcut for '++'. But after doing about 3 minutes of research on wikipedia, it looks like a cross between C++ and Java. But I don't know any programs that could do that then.