Apple selects O2 as exclusive carrier for iPhone in UK

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 164
    thats cool. so they got the ipod touch too
  • Reply 2 of 164
    I'll wait for the "official" announcement...
  • Reply 3 of 164
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Dissapointed....!!

No 3G

No 16GB

I have an iPhone on O2 currently - data transfer is pretty slow really. Certainly don't get EDGE where I am, although there is 3G coverage

Will save my up-grade until next year then.....

Oh well.....non-event for me really....
  • Reply 4 of 164
    It's out November 9th online, Apple stores, O2 and Carphone Warehouse.
  • Reply 5 of 164
    The 02 service plans seem quite good too. Starting at £35/month including unlimited data and free WiFi via The Cloud. I did some searching around and there are quite a few hotspots even in my fairly rural area. You shouldn't have any problems getting a WiFi connection in larger Cities.
  • Reply 6 of 164
    O2 have almost no 3G service where I am too but oddly the pub down the road has a Cloud hotspot.

£269 for the phone though is silly. You can get an N95 for free.

I suspect there will be a lot of people getting an N95 on O2 for free, plus an iPhone at £269, switching the SIM to the iPhone and then selling the N95 on eBay.
  • Reply 7 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

O2 have almost no 3G service where I am too but oddly the pub down the road has a Cloud hotspot.

£269 for the phone though is silly. You can get an N95 for free.

I suspect there will be a lot of people getting an N95 on O2 for free, plus an iPhone at £269, switching the SIM to the iPhone and then selling the N95 on eBay.

That's not a bad idea there Mr aegisdesign!
  • Reply 8 of 164
    I have them occasionally. :-)

We'll have to wait and see how the activation works but I'd guess if it's the same as the USA where you can buy a phone in an Apple Store without a plan and the plans are the same for all O2 customers as promised by the O2 CEO come Oct 1st then I think that should work. An N95 should get you back most if not all of the iPhone cost on eBay.

I'm also waiting to see what they do for business users as O2's business plans have things like unlimited free calls between handsets on the same business plan and shared data. Might be beneficial to me to buy two Nokia N95's and a 3G USB modem on their business plan and then two iPhones.

I'm still miffed the phone is the same as the US iPhone but if it's on O2 then around here their 3G coverage isn't an issue as there's none to speak of and free Cloud hotspot WiFi seems to be actually quite widespread where I might use it - for free.
  • Reply 9 of 164
    so you have an unlocked one on O2 currently? I'm cureious as to how the data actually works, do you just pay for data once you have used up your free data allowance? does it just work without any additional setup or anything?
  • Reply 10 of 164
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple and O2 announced Tuesday that O2, the leading wireless carrier in the UK, will be the exclusive UK carrier for Apple's iPhone when it makes its debut in the UK on November 9.Â*

Â?WeÂ?re thrilled to be partnering with O2 to offer our revolutionary iPhone to UK customers,Â?Â*said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. Â?US iPhone customer satisfaction is off the charts, and we canÂ?t wait to let UK customers get their hands on it and learn what they think of it.Â?

iPhone customers in the UK will be treated to the same iPhone activation experience as US customers, where they can use Apple's iTunes software to get the device up and running on O2's network from the comfort and privacy of their own home or office, rather than wait on long lines at the store.

In addition, UK customers will also receive all the revolutionary features that made iPhone so popular in the US, including access to Apple's recently launched iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store.

Â?Our strategy at O2 is to bring our customers the best products and experiences,Â? said Matthew Key, CEO, O2 UK.Â* Â?The iPhone is a breakthrough that is changing the way people use their mobiles forever, and we're thrilled to have it exclusively for O2 customers in the UK.Â?

Only a single model -- an 8GB iPhone -- is scheduled to go on sale for £269 on November 9, and will be sold exclusively in the UK through Apple�s retail and online stores, O2 and The Carphone Warehouse's retail and online stores.

Apple and O2 have come up with three new value iPhone tariffs starting at £35,Â*each of which include unlimited anytime, anywhere mobile data usage and -- in a market first -- free unlimited use of "the cloud," UKÂ?s largest single public Wi-Fi network, covering over 7,500 cafes, restaurants, airport lounges, pubs and other locations across the UK.
  • Reply 11 of 164
    disappointed no 3g - it would be interesting to know why apple doesn't think consumers would be willing to pay for 3g and 16gb even if a shorter battery life ...
  • Reply 12 of 164
    I'm on O2 just now with a 20quid/month tariff which gives 500 SMS, 500 offpeak cross-network mins and 500 WAP minutes (not that I'm ever aware of having used those!) which is a pretty damn good deal, and far better value for money than the new iPhone tariff offerings. I'd love to think that I could just buy an iPhone and pop my current sim card in and stick with my existing contract.

Also, why does no-one ever mention Apple's over inflated prices at these press Q&A things?
  • Reply 13 of 164
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

disappointed no 3g - it would be interesting to know why apple doesn't think consumers would be willing to pay for 3g and 16gb even if a shorter battery life ...

Isn't it more likely that they simply think the market is bigger for a long-battery-life 2.5G version? But go ahead and think that Apple thinks 3G is worthless if that makes you happy.
  • Reply 14 of 164
    Go for it, suckers.
  • Reply 15 of 164
    Just cannot see this flying off the shelves, when you can get some better 3G phones from Nokia and Sony for zero upfront costs why would people shell out 270 quid for an iPhone ?

Apple really should have closed a deal with a carrier for a 24 month contract subsidised phone at zero cost - that is how phones are sold in the UK and it is gonna take something better that the 1st gen iPhone to change it.
  • Reply 16 of 164
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I may be waiting another year or so, but I wont buy until I see 3G and 16GB of storage. I doubt I'm alone on this either.
  • Reply 17 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Isn't it more likely that they simply think the market is bigger for a long-battery-life 2.5G version? But go ahead and think that Apple thinks 3G is worthless if that makes you happy.

Are you then suggesting that Apple understand more about the UK mobile phone market that Nokia or SonyEriccson ?

You see these companies produce phones that are 3G and yet have a decent battery life, they have text messaging features that customers use but the iPhone does not support, they have MMS, again a popular feature that the Iphone does not support. But you presume that Apple know better? What do you base this assumption on?
  • Reply 18 of 164
    iPhone unlock anyone?
  • Reply 19 of 164
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Aaah, shame the contract starts at £35 (even though the "unlimited internet" bit seems like a fairly good deal). I was hoping you'd be able to choose one of their cheaper plans starting at £15 a month
  • Reply 20 of 164
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    what happened to O2 stock??? that would give some insight as to investors thoughts as to n95 vs iphone....is the n95 better ???at what over the iphone?