whats to stop me from...

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In light of this UK release news - can anyon think of a reason that I can't buy an iPhone from America now (cheaper and I'll have it for an extra month and a half), unlocking it and using it with my current SIM until the O2 launch, and then resetting it and signing up for an O2 contract with iTunes come novemember 9th?

I don't see any benefit in waiting any longer..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxx66 View Post

In light of this UK release news - can anyon think of a reason that I can't buy an iPhone from America now (cheaper and I'll have it for an extra month and a half), unlocking it and using it with my current SIM until the O2 launch, and then resetting it and signing up for an O2 contract with iTunes come novemember 9th?

I don't see any benefit in waiting any longer..

To my mind there is none - I am going to keep my current sim until the 3G iPhone with 16+GB comes out!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    There might be some localization to the software installed on the phone. It could be just different verbage and icons for a few interface elements. Or there could be significant differences to how the phone communicates with EDGE and online data services such as yahoo IMAP support. We don't really know yet.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Yeah I agree that things like those could differ slightly, but isn't that all a case of a firmware upgrade? Surely it is easier for apple too to just sell 1 standard iPhone?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxx66 View Post

Yeah I agree that things like those could differ slightly, but isn't that all a case of a firmware upgrade? Surely it is easier for apple too to just sell 1 standard iPhone?

EDGE works fine in the UK as long as you get the correct access details...only thing you don't get is visual voice mail - seen it in action & very nice. Only thing is that GPRS is a bit slow & EDGE isn't v extensive...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    sounds cool to me... I think I'll import, unless anyone else can chip in with a downside??