Messed up my iMac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Got a new alu imac, since the 1.1 upgrade it's been freezing so I thought I'd reinstall the 1.0 update - in doing so I've messed up the OS - it starts by saying that one of the x2000 extensions was improperly installed and it thinks it isn't quartz extreme compatible. It also won't shutdown. Silly me for thinking I could help!

Anyway what I need help with is what to do next, can I just do another OSW install over it to bring it back to 10.4.whatever then re-run the updates (apart from 1.1) or will this wipe my users/apps/settings etc? is there a way I can get it to just fix the OS and not these things. Sorry for such a dumb question but in a decade of mac ownership I've never really had to do this kind of thing.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I don't really understand the 1.1 and 1.0 update terminology that yo are referring to or what OSW is, however you can do an Archive and Install, from the system disc. This will reinstall the OS and will preserve all the settings and apps of all users.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Yes, Archive and Install. Boot from the DVD, start the install, and when you get to the screen that has an "Options" button, click it and choose Archive and Install.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Thank you both very much, I suspected that was the way forward but having never done it was cautious.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Did installing the 1.0 update actually stop the freezing of your iMac?