Mail.app "Switch Identity?"

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does Mail have something like Microsoft Entourage's "Switch Identity" feature where one can log in and out of various user email accounts?

Or... Do I have to set up multiple user accounts within Jaguar and have said person log out and in every time they want to check their mail on Mail?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    you can simply add another mail account by going into the prefs...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Great. Does it also switch the address book to that mail account's user or must one set up individual OS user accounts and log in and out to switch the address book's identity?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce:

<strong>Great. Does it also switch the address book to that mail account's user or must one set up individual OS user accounts and log in and out to switch the address book's identity?</strong><hr></blockquote>

no, it doesn't switch that...

but if you add a second account, you'll see the solution right before you.

If you have multiple accounts, mail lets you choose from which account you are going to send it, all easy from a pop-up menu.

if I understand you right...that's the solution.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member

<strong>Great. Does it also switch the address book to that mail account's user or must one set up individual OS user accounts and log in and out to switch the address book's identity?</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you are actually talking about totally separate information in each account, you need to set up different user accounts in OSX. I'm not sure I understand what else you could be asking about, if it's not the answer that Defiant gave you first. COuld you explain a little more of what you're trying to do?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    ShawnPatrickJoyce is still thinking in OS 9 terms... (nothing wrong with that) but the way OS X deals with things are much better in many respects (multi-user).

One of the only bad parts (and I fully admit it could be a major downer depending how often you share your computer with someone else) is that user 'A' must LOGOUT and quit everything he/she was doing for user 'B' to quickly jump in and check his/her email.

What I'd really like to see and my fingers are crossed that we will is a 'WinXP' feature called 'switch user' so user 'A' doesn't have to quit all the apps and logout but instead they continue to run (in the background or maybe they are suspended I dunno for sure) while user 'B' quickly logs in and checks their mail.

Well we can hope...

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Yes, I'm running OS 9.2. How perceptive! I'll have my PowerBook with Jaguar in less than two weeks though.

It's a shame that Mail.app doesn't have that Entourage feature. In Entourage, switching from one user account to another also switches the address book information from that account. You must quit all Microsoft applications first before switching though. This may prevent my other family members from enjoying the benefits of Apple Address Book integration. Damn. I may just set up different OS user accounts and make them log in and out.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    Believe me, in Jaguar logging in and out is not a grand undertaking. It's very fast, and doubly so if Classic is not running... logging out when classic is running makes it take an extra few seconds to shut it down. When Classic is not running, logging out is extremely fast, and logging in is also extremely fast. Learn to use CMD-SHIFT-Q.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member

<strong>Yes, I'm running OS 9.2. How perceptive! I'll have my PowerBook with Jaguar in less than two weeks though.

It's a shame that Mail.app doesn't have that Entourage feature. In Entourage, switching from one user account to another also switches the address book information from that account. You must quit all Microsoft applications first before switching though. This may prevent my other family members from enjoying the benefits of Apple Address Book integration. Damn. I may just set up different OS user accounts and make them log in and out.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You should really make user accounts anyway. Trust me, they are a good thing. There are so many advantages to it and only one disadvantage. It's well worth it. We've got a true multi-user system. Learn to use it well and you'll wonder how you ever did without it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Xaqtly:

<strong>Believe me, in Jaguar logging in and out is not a grand undertaking. It's very fast, and doubly so if Classic is not running... logging out when classic is running makes it take an extra few seconds to shut it down. When Classic is not running, logging out is extremely fast, and logging in is also extremely fast. Learn to use CMD-SHIFT-Q. </strong><hr></blockquote>

If I'm using Address Book + Mail.app combination, I would have little need to run classic. EXCEPT my mom who runs Quark XPress... (damn company can't even put a platinum interface on its product)

Does anyone know if OS X drivers are available yet for the hp ScanJet 5370c? If not, I'll have to convince my mom that paying for VueScan is better anyway.