Apple admits some iPod touch players shipped with faulty screens

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple this week confirmed reports that some of its new iPod touch players left its manufacturing facilities with defective screens and said the company is actively working to remedy the issue.

Several iPod touch customers have reported that their 16GB players exhibit an issue where playback of dark video scenes is almost unwatchable, and have further suggested that Apple may have equipped the new players with screens that are inferior in quality to those used in the iPhone.

"[S]some early iPod Touch units have had defective screens, where images appeared too dark," the Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg revealed in his own review of the player published Thursday. "Apple says this problem affected a small number of units and is being remedied."

Like AppleInsider's review unit, which appears to be one of the unaffected units, Mossberg said his two iPod touch test units "displayed beautiful images." He did, however, take issue with the player's battery life, which failed to meet Apple's claims in his own tests.

Watch Mossberg's 7-minute iPod touch video review

It's presently unclear how widespread the iPod touch display issue may be or what remedial action Apple will offer to customers who own affected units. Such information will be published once it becomes available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple this week confirmed reports that some of its new iPod touch players left its manufacturing facilities with defective screens and said the company is actively working to remedy the issue.

Several iPod touch customers have reported that their 16GB players exhibit an issue where playback of dark video scenes is almost unwatchable, and have further suggested that Apple may have equipped the new players with screens that are inferior in quality to those used in the iPhone.

"[S]some early iPod Touch units have had defective screens, where images appeared too dark," the Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg revealed in his own review of the player published Thursday. "Apple says this problem affected a small number of units and is being remedied."

Like AppleInsider's review unit, which appears to be one of the unaffected units, Mossberg said his two iPod touch test units "displayed beautiful images." He did, however, take issue with the player's battery life, which failed to meet Apple's claims in his own tests.

Watch Mossberg's 7-minute iPod touch video review

It's presently unclear how widespread the iPod touch display issue may be or what remedial action Apple will offer to customers who own affected units. Such information will be published once it becomes available.

Good video review by Walt. I agree 100% with him.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Good video review by Walt. I agree 100% with him.

Yep, seemed pretty accurate. It's a good media player, but has the downside of lack of 'real' buttons and perhaps slightly more limited battery life than expected (though better than my 2G iPod Nano!)...
  • Reply 3 of 26
    I totally agree with Walt. I've yet to push the battery to see how close mine is to the Apple specs.

My first touch had the negative black problem, I too it back to the Easton Apple Store here in Columbus. The Genius gave me a new one, and even went so far as to plug it in, load a couple videos off my original to test the new one's display.

Very happy Apple fangirl.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    It will be interesting to see how Apple actually 'remedy' the issue.

Will they contact all the owners who registered their iPod touch?

They must be able to identify the 'problem' batch by Serial number.

Maybe they can fix via software update, but if as it states it is 'defective screens' then I guess we can expect our devices to be exchanged.

I wait with bated breath to hear from Apple on which batch is faulty and how we arrange for an exchange.

Mine does have the problem by the way, very poor when watching dark movies. Mine is a 9C737 batch, one of the first I think. Which is week beginning 2nd Sept, made not that long ago!

Ian
  • Reply 5 of 26
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    That explains why not everyone claimed to see the same problem. It appears Apple is listening or at least paying attention.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

It will be interesting to see how Apple actually 'remedy' the issue.

Will they contact all the owners who registered their iPod touch?

They must be able to identify the 'problem' batch by Serial number.

Maybe they can fix via software update, but if as it states it is 'defective screens' then I guess we can expect our devices to be exchanged.

I wait with bated breath to hear from Apple on which batch is faulty and how we arrange for an exchange.

Mine does have the problem by the way, very poor when watching dark movies. Mine is a 9C737 batch, one of the first I think. Which is week beginning 2nd Sept, made not that long ago!

Ian

Just go to your Apple store and get a new one.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Apple didn't officially admit to anything... Mossberg in his article said he had talked to them... so it is second-hand info. A press release from Apple would be a different story.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    There will always be some defective units made of any kind of product. Defective units really isn't a problem unless the maker denies it or tries to avoid replacing them for good ones.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

That explains why not everyone claimed to see the same problem. It appears Apple is listening or at least paying attention.

They definitely pay attention. That is how they delete some critical post on their discussion posts.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

I totally agree with Walt. I've yet to push the battery to see how close mine is to the Apple specs.

My first touch had the negative black problem, I too it back to the Easton Apple Store here in Columbus. The Genius gave me a new one, and even went so far as to plug it in, load a couple videos off my original to test the new one's display.

Very happy Apple fangirl.

First post I see...

Welcome to the community

Notice how I didn't say "Welcome to the Social"!
  • Reply 11 of 26
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mntentman View Post

Apple didn't officially admit to anything... Mossberg in his article said he had talked to them... so it is second-hand info. A press release from Apple would be a different story.

I'd say Apple talking on the record to a member of the press qualifies as officially admitting. Not everything needs to be in a press release.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    My touch arrives tomorrow. I'll report with the results.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

First post I see...

Welcome to the community

Notice how I didn't say "Welcome to the Social"!

....after spending nearly 3 hours setting up a retarded friend's Zune, I should hit you for that.

Seriously, I've been a long time lurker, I've noticed many times, posters tend to like to bitch, instead of getting the problem taken care of (forgive the run on sentence there). Yeah, I'm a fangirl, yeah, at times I can be a bit of an apologist. Most importantly, if any of my Apple gear isn't working right, I deal with it.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I'd say Apple talking on the record to a member of the press qualifies as officially admitting. Not everything needs to be in a press release.

Well... to get way too technical about connotation and word choice...

"confirmed" rather than "admitted" would have been a better choice of words for the headline. "admitted" tends to imply that the party was previously denying an assertion that they now agree with.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Several iPod touch customers have reported that their 16GB players exhibit an issue where playback of dark video scenes is almost unwatchable...

so was the screen issue only with the 16 GB models? i was going to pick up an 8 GB model and then hesitated when i heard about the screen...if it's just the 16 gig ones, then i'll order my 8 GB soon!
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Agree with Walt. Apple needs to implement the most effective solution to a problem. For the volume control, a simple dial on the front or outside of the iPod would be the best answer. I can't tell you how many times I nearly blew out my ears because there was no physical way to check the volume. Get smart Steve.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Mossberg needs to take some pointers from Pogue about how to do a webcast. As for the screen issue, as long as Apple replaces the units, then its a non-issue.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    Quote:

This is a wide spread issue. See thread at Apple Discussions. Also someone posted a probable explanation for the iPod Touch LCD deficiencies.

There appear to be a number of units in the wild which have perfect screens.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr. X View Post

This is a wide spread issue. See thread at Apple Discussions. Also someone posted a probable explanation for the iPod Touch LCD deficiencies.

There appear to be a number of units in the wild which have perfect screens.

The serial has '9C738', the last two digits representing the week it was made, in this case week 38.

Looks like week 38 are good

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=358071&page=1
  • Reply 20 of 26
    I wish I could say it was a great video, but I get about 0.5FPS playing it. Sure, my computer is a bit modest, but it's still a G4. What is that codec doing with all those cycles?