Amazon showing Leopard release 10/31/07

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I thought it was due for the 5th? Or is this still an "unknown" ?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...ywords=Leopard

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Who knows, I'd bet they are just playing it safe by picking the last day though.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by domerdel View Post

I thought it was due for the 5th? Or is this still an "unknown" ?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...ywords=Leopard

We didn't know an official date. Anyway, looking at the current status of the latest leopard release available to developers, I would state that even the 30th is an optimistic release date. I wouldn't be much surprised on a 3 months delay.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palple View Post

We didn't know an official date. Anyway, looking at the current status of the latest leopard release available to developers, I would state that even the 30th is an optimistic release date. I wouldn't be much surprised on a 3 months delay.

Don't know about 3 months, but I suspect even early November is optimistic. I reckon late November early December. Don't pull it out of the oven early I say.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    personally i'm thinking that it might well be out soon, but with the .1 release hot on its heels!
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

personally i'm thinking that it might well be out soon, but with the .1 release hot on its heels!

The bugs and problems in the last build are too big and too much for a public release. Moreover, localizations are still not finished, plus they are buggy as hell and totally unusable.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

The bugs and problems in the last build are too big and too much for a public release. Moreover, localizations are still not finished, plus they are buggy as hell and totally unusable.

\

Until summer, I was not convinced that Leopard would make it for end October mostly because of the AI reports on the matter.

Now anyone could doubt such anonymous reports (from AI and the members here), but my feeling is that they are mirroring the situation and we are going to get either a very buggy initial release, just for Apple to be on schedule, or another delay.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    You know, Apple could release Leopard no later than 10/31/07 and have a 10.5.1 update ready November 1. The time between a GM and release would give them enough time to fix a bunch of stuff.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    No one knows when it will come out. Apple will tell us when
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oliver G View Post

No one knows when it will come out. Apple will tell us when

When exactly is unknown, but Apple said next month. So we know it should be out before November 1 and I think it would rather be the very end of October. Unless Apple is forced to push it again. \
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Samhain? Halloween?

That would be quite rebellious and fitting.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

I'll get my coat, then
  • Reply 12 of 21
    anyone else thinking it's not gonna be until macworld now??
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whoami View Post

anyone else thinking it's not gonna be until macworld now??

No.

Having worked within the confines of Cupertino and Redwood Shores, the beta releases for 3rd party devs is different than the daily builds internally.

In fact, there are a wide variety of builds to target specific areas of contention before they merge into a master and call it golden.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

No.

Having worked within the confines of Cupertino and Redwood Shores, the beta releases for 3rd party devs is different than the daily builds internally.

In fact, there are a wide variety of builds to target specific areas of contention before they merge into a master and call it golden.

Case in point:

From Macrumors today:

Quote:

After seeding Leopard 9A528d just yesterday, Apple has released 9A559 to ADC members tonight. Yesterday's update appears to have been primarily testing Leopard's Software Update mechanism.

The 6.55GB download lists only two known issues for Leopard. The two issues described involve upgrading from Tiger to Leopard on PowerPC systems in certain scenarios, and HP printer drivers.

• Reply 15 of 21
    I agree, I think the release of 2 beta's in 2 days is a very good sign from Apple. They wouldn't do that to the masses of Beta testers unless there was a need to mass test something urgently. If there was no rush, a small beta would have been sent to just a few testers.

My guess is you will see an announcement in the first half of Oct detailing the full 10.5 (are there still not a couple secrets Apple has not told us about?) and then it will ship later in Oct with some new hardware... That's just guessing on my part though
  • Reply 16 of 21
    How long would it take from going 'gold' to being released, going by previous form with OS X?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    [QUOTE=BonesSK;1146291are there still not a couple secrets Apple has not told us about?[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. I think it is what it is at this point.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    ssssss Posts: 30member
    Will the leopard release date be the same for the UK as it is in the US does anyone know?
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSS View Post

Will the leopard release date be the same for the UK as it is in the US does anyone know?

should be a worldwide release
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BonesSK View Post

...(are there still not a couple secrets Apple has not told us about?)...

There are always not a couple but many couples of secrets Apple never talks about. But those are features the average user will probably never intreract directly with. All together contribute to a more fluid user experience.

About the major ones that most people do care and are going to use frequently, I am afraid that there is nothing secret at this point.