Thin Apple notebooks may come clad in black aluminum

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A new line of Apple notebooks believed to be nearing release have been spotted in both black and traditional aluminum enclosures, according to a new report.

The systems are said to be thinner than the company's existing MacBook and MacBook Pro offerings, while also sporting a more compact footprint that includes a thinner display bezel.

Outside of this information, details appear to be scarce. It's not entirely clear whether the notebooks are part of an upcoming revision to Apple's consumer-oriented MacBook line or are simply one-and-the same with the much rumored "ultra-portable" design first detailed back in February.

The latter systems are expected to include L.E.D-backlit 13-inch LCD panels, on-board NAND flash (for faster application launching and boot times), and lack a traditional optical disc drive.

It's believed that Apple had originally intended to launch the slimmer notebook line alongside its next-generation Leopard operating system back in June, but subsequently pushed the release out to "late 2007 or early 2008" when Leopard's expected release date slipped to October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 176
    I soooo beat appleinsider to this. I'm sure everyone's dying for this (whatever it ends up to be) to come out.
  • Reply 2 of 176
    The shells look very nice, I would like to see a black MBP in the future, it would look SO much better than my aluminum C2D MBP, and would be so much easier to keep clean (or at least stay clean).
  • Reply 3 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

I soooo beat appleinsider to this.

You are not the first to have done so; they will likely merge the two threads once the see what yours is about... The title was little unclear.

There is no need for a CD-Rom nor a great HD... The thin 80GB HD that is now in the iPod Classic would do nicely combined with a dedicated flash drive element of about 16 or 32 GB.
  • Reply 4 of 176
    That's true. I was in a hurry to just post the link. But I guess it doesn't matter who finds it, I just love new information.
  • Reply 5 of 176
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Well then, I guess I should post this one here:

http://www.thestreet.com/s/apple-mac.../10380765.html
  • Reply 6 of 176
    Thanks for the link. Good find.
  • Reply 7 of 176
    this is definitely something that I wanted to see... I just hope they drop these sometime close to after the release of leopard
  • Reply 8 of 176
    good! cuz the ef'fing matte paint flakes/rubs off the macbooks
  • Reply 9 of 176
    Thin makes no sense unless it is a truly driveless laptop.

No hard drive - solid state only.

No Superdrive. Who uses these drives anymore on a laptop?

If true, expect the price to be closer to 2K.

A nine or even eleven inch screen would be awesome.

But, if Steve Jobes doesn't use it, it never gets produced.

Regards,

Roger Born

"These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."
  • Reply 10 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

There is no need for a CD-Rom nor a great HD... The thin 80GB HD that is now in the iPod Classic would do nicely combined with a dedicated flash drive element of about 16 or 32 GB.

You really don't want a 1.8" drive. They are so slow and not designed to be constantly used.
  • Reply 11 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ti Fighter View Post

good! cuz the ef'fing matte paint flakes/rubs off the macbooks

that's pretty tacky. I've been reading a lot about this new computer, all speculations of course, but awhile back apple threw out a patent for a rather large trackpad that would be able to tell the difference between incidental and real touch. It looked like something that would span the entire computer, so who knows what they are thinking. With all the invovation (that they are capable of shoving out) who knows what they are going to do.
  • Reply 12 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DionRodrigues View Post

The shells look very nice, I would like to see a black MBP in the future, it would look SO much better than my aluminum C2D MBP, and would be so much easier to keep clean (or at least stay clean).

I want a black MBP as well. In fact, it might speed my upgrade process.
  • Reply 13 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

You really don't want a 1.8" drive. They are so slow and not designed to be constantly used.

Very true... I should have said: a small drive like the one...

Anyway: SMALL becuz there will be FLASH FLASH FLASH
  • Reply 14 of 176
    Leaving the optical drive out would mean an ultraportable... but isn't a 13.3 incher too big for an ultraportable? If it is a 13.3 incher I would say these are the new MBs, and so... would need to have an optical drive.

Something just doesn't add up.
  • Reply 15 of 176
    when is Leopard coming out? end Oct??

i highly doubt it is going to be around leopard release date. But if it is MacBook Mini 10" then YES!

i think MacBook will be updated only MWSF 08? if not what else left for MWSF? (also from intel the new architecture comes around WWDC, penryn just a die shrink, nothing really left for MWSF)

steve come to stage Good morning and good bye!
  • Reply 16 of 176
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DionRodrigues View Post

When are they going to have a Product (RED) MBP. White and black are getting a bit tired.
  • Reply 17 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennyWRX View Post

Leaving the optical drive out would mean an ultraportable... but isn't a 13.3 incher too big for an ultraportable? If it is a 13.3 incher I would say these are the new MBs, and so... would need to have an optical drive.

Something just doesn't add up.

I was thinking the same thing... \
  • Reply 18 of 176
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    And here I was about to buy a MacBook Pro... Shall I wait?
  • Reply 19 of 176
    I hope it's true. MBs in annodized aluminum would look very nice IMO. Throw in colors a la iPod nano and I think that would make for a compelling product.
  • Reply 20 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I hope it's true. MBs in annodized aluminum would look very nice IMO. Throw in colors a la iPod nano and I think that would make for a compelling product.

i want the Green one!