New MacBooks

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    Looks like we will have to be patient for another month or so. I suspect the next iteration of the MacBook will offer almost everything raised on this thread. Like many others, I would always prefer a new model, but that will only be current for 12 months or so.

As someone said in reply to a Mac person wondering when to buy ' if you need it buy it now, if you don't, wait!"

Hard to argue with that.
  • Reply 42 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomohr View Post

I'm also on the look out for news on updates because I don't to drop 1.5k and then be outdated in a month :/ seems like I should wait till these new penyryn (sp?) chips are dropped...

My thoughts exactly. Like bestgolfer said, if you need it buy it, if not then wait.

I was literally one click away from ordering my Macbook when I came to this forum to look for any news on an update and I have recieved a ton of information and I would like to thank you all for your information.Really saved me from making a soon-to-be unfavorable purchase.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    As the person who started this thread, I think its fair to say that if we are a bit more patient, Mr Jobs will release a new MacBook with most of the features we are looking for.

Everyone seems to agree this is much needed.

Let's hope we get our collective wishes by around October/November 2007!
  • Reply 44 of 57
    I hope the MacBook looks like the front of the iPod classic. Since Steve has moved the iMac to aluminum and will most likely move the MacBook to aluminum, I wonder if the Mac Pro and Cinema Displays will get updated looks also.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Looks like the vast majority are looking for an significant update sooner rather than later.

Bring it on Apple in the next six weeks
  • Reply 46 of 57
    Looking at all the posts makes one think that consumers (at least the one's polled here) are looking for an updated MacBook sooner rather than later.

We may have to be patient ( aren't we always!!! ) as there seem to be a few hints that we could be looking at early 2008 now.

As someone said 'if you need it, buy it now, if you don't wait'. Sounds pretty reasonable.

A local Apple dealer said today that he would not be surprised if Apple adopted the 'pro' look for the next generation of MacBooks ie, the brushed metal look...for what it's worth.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    I hope they don't go with the metal pro body for the next Macbook. Looks aside, the body of the Macbook is a lot more resistant to damange and dents than the metal enclosures of the Pro line.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john.outwater View Post

I hope they don't go with the metal pro body for the next Macbook. Looks aside, the body of the Macbook is a lot more resistant to damange and dents than the metal enclosures of the Pro line.

Excellent point, had not thought of that.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    Look at what 9to5mac.com is reporting...
  • Reply 50 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Interesting reading, worth checking out.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    ^^^ Very cool but I just don't agree on the "MacBook Pro" name... it should be more like...

11.1" MacBook Nano/Mini (WXGA - 1366x768)

13.3" MacBook (WXGA - 1280x800)

15.4" MacBook Pro (Move to a WSXGA+ display std)

17.0" MacBook Pro HD (Assuming/Hoping they'll move to the WUXGA display as std)
  • Reply 53 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

From the comments on that site it seems like we'll have to wait till the Keynote address in Jan.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DannyJ47 View Post

From the comments on that site it seems like we'll have to wait till the Keynote address in Jan.

Hopefully well before that, in time for the US Christmas season, like late October/Early November.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    I'm really hoping that they drop something at the same time as leopard. I just sold my 12 pb, something that I'm kind of regretting now.. but I'm hoping that they give me something that I can replace that with because it was just wonderful to have something so small to carry around with me. For someone that needs power as well as light and easy to carry, I think that apple really needs to put that back in the line-up... optical drive or not doesn't bother me, as long as it's tiny, and has a 24 hour battery life (lol)
  • Reply 56 of 57
    Anyone seen the ads for the new Toshiba notebooks, boy is that thing thin, small, and light. Seems to have a small processor though, hopefully the new Macbook will knock it on the head!

http://www.toshibanotebook.com.au/r500/default.html

To quote from the ads.....

'The Idea. Build world’s lightest, slimmest notebook with Optical Disc Drive. Make it seriously light: sub one kilo. But more to the point: make it seriously light. So that it’s not what’s left out – it’s easy to shed weight by shedding features and functionality – it’s what’s ingeniously engineered in that makes it the breakthrough. Taking portability to a new level of productivity. The world’s first superslim 7mm DVD Super Multi Drive, the world’s first transflective LCD notebook display – 12.1” widescreen, the world’s first 64GB Solid State Drive (optional), miniature 20g motherboard, battery life up to 12.5 hours, connectivity to kill for, state-of-the-science security… and ruggedness belied by a design so slim… stylish… stunning'.

• Reply 57 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DannyJ47 View Post

Hello there! This is my first post and I must admit that I came to this forum for the same reason the person who started this thread did.........I am looking into buying a Macbook.

I was/am looking at the 2.16 Ghz, 160 Gig HD,2 Gig RAM Macbook in black.It was gonna set me back $1,534 which is about £750 if im correct. But before making the purchase( as it is a very big purchase for me) I wanted to see if there were any major updates coming. Being as I've had an Apple nerd for a teacher my last two years in high school, I have come to learn that Apple almost always on a yearly basis come out with upgraded products. My current PC is on its last legs. I don't need a new computer at this moment but I would really,really appreciate it.

So my question is.......what are the possibiltes that the Macbook gets upgraded? Or is it a well known accepted fact that it will happen and that its just a matter of time?I would really hate to spend $1,500 on a computer just to know it will be outdated in a matter of months.

Also,on a side note, if you do think i should go ahead and buy the MB right now, would you suggest I get it in white as it will save me about $130. I do like it in black and white but the reason I chose black

was because i'm afraid the white one will get rather dirty looking over time.

I would appreciate any and all input on this matter. Thank You.

I would definitely wait. As been mentioned earlier Leopard is coming, that alone should hold you back a while. And even if there was no update on the MacBook yet, MacWorld is in January, so that would probably be the last resort. I've been putting myself on hold on the MacBook, as i've been waiting for an update to the GMA950. So hopefully the updated version would look similar to the iPod Classic with bumped specs on the graphics card and CPU, and who knows, maybe also LED-LCD?

I'd suggest to wait a while and that also gives you more time to put money aside, win-win situation