Will there ever be a 15-inch MacBook?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was wondering if there will be ever a 15-inch MacBook... I know, I quite like the actual size, but for non pro ppl that need bigger screens the 13-inch is a bit too small.

And another thing... is the problem with the white MacBook getting yellowish after some use solved?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I hope so, but at the same time I doubt it. They are somehow able to get away with forcing people to pay 2K+ just to have a > 13.3" screen and/or dedicated graphics... they'll keep doing it... more money for them... less choices for us.

IMO MBs are not really that overpriced, but MBPs... thats a whole different story.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Yes. They'll probably call it the "Pro" or something. ProBook, or MacProBook, or MacBookPro or something dumb like that.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Well... we are seeing speculations about the new models, but I don't think i would be happy to have a laptop without an optical drive... Boo to Apple!
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennyWRX View Post

I hope so, but at the same time I doubt it. They are somehow able to get away with forcing people to pay 2K+ just to have a > 13.3" screen and/or dedicated graphics... they'll keep doing it... more money for them... less choices for us.

IMO MBs are not really that overpriced, but MBPs... thats a whole different story.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=kc_feat

Towards the bottom he compares products... MBPs aren't overpriced. Read it.

It gives me happy feelings.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I've done my research and they are overpriced in terms of hardware. On the other hand... they have no competition in design/looks, HW/SW/Driver integration and of course OS X.

The 2K is fine thanks to the $150 a couple of stores seem to offer... otherwise it's like $200 over.

The 2.5K model just goes overboard, thats just a bad deal... seems like an exponential price increase. This one is way overpriced. I would say like $400 over.

The 2.8K model seats in the middle... being like $300 overpriced IMO.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Yes. They'll probably call it the "Pro" or something. ProBook, or MacProBook, or MacBookPro or something dumb like that.

Huhh?? There is already one called "MacBook Pro" and it's been out since the Intel switch started.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

There wouldn't be a new name for the notebook since the only difference would be the size of the screen, which means it would use the same internal components.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soulhunter View Post

I was wondering if there will be ever a 15-inch MacBook... I know, I quite like the actual size, but for non pro ppl that need bigger screens the 13-inch is a bit too small.

And another thing... is the problem with the white MacBook getting yellowish after some use solved?

What would non-pro people need the increased size/resolution for?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

What would non-pro people need the increased size/resolution for?

Cause the 13.3" is small.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Cause the 13.3" is small.

It's a portable laptop; it's supposed to be small \

In a world where most non-pro Mac users rarely bother maximizing their windows to actually use all of the screen space they have available, I don't see what good a 15" screen would do them.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Lol... if it wasn't so hard to do, people would do it more often.

The point is some people want something bigger than a 13.3", but having to pay 2K+ is just stupid.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

The point is some people want something bigger than a 13.3", but having to pay 2K+ is just stupid.

I agree, $2k entry-price just to get a 15" screen is stupid. But I also think that the 13" screen is quite adequate for non-pro users, whether they want to think so or not
  • Reply 13 of 16
    No. There will never, ever, be a 15-inch MacBook.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    A 15 inch MacBook would be welcome indeed. A lot of people would like to replace their desktop Mac (or PC) for the convenience of a laptop for use around the house wirelessly and 13.3 inch screens IMHO don't really cut it in this environment.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    They really do need a bigger Macbook. They wouldn't even have to bump the resolution, 13 inch is just too small for lots of people (let's say age 40 to 70). I'd settle for a 14.1 inch with same resolution as the 13.1 inch. And so would people that just think all the letters on the screen are too small to read.

A $100 premium over the 13 inch would be more than enough, since the only extra cost I see is some more plastic and they take up more space for transportation.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    At this point, I'm thinking they should add a 64mb 8400M to the next Macbook update instead. Apple has a bit better chance going after Dell's 13" XPS than they do consumer 15" models.