Apple drops new Leopard build, may be release candidate

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Friday evening seeded developers with yet another pre-release of its next-generation Leopard operating system, this time a full-blown build that appears as if it could be a candidate for release.

Labeled "Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard build 9A559," the new release came just hours after the Cupertino-based company issued two minor updates to the previous full-sized build (9A527), both of which were aimed at testing the system's automated Software Update mechanism.

Developers who successfully applied both of the automatic software updates saw their version of Leopard upgraded to build 9A528d. By contrast, Friday evening's release of build 9A559 was issued as a 6.5GB web download to all Apple Developer Connection members, whether they had installed the previous builds or not.

People familiar with the new release say it contains only two known issues and may be considered the first of several release candidates, the latter of which would eventually be declared Gold Master and shipped off for duplication and retail packaging.

Of the two known issues in build 9A559, one relating to archive installs appears to be the most critical. Those people familiar with the matter say archive installs from Tiger to Leopard may fail on some Power PC systems if the user attempts to preserve their user settings. To remedy this problem, Apple reportedly suggests that users perform an upgrade install, a clean install or opt out of preserving user settings.

The second known issue affects users who have HP printers connected to their system or are upgrading from a Tiger system with an HP printer that had previously been configured. Though Apple did not specify the root of the problem, it recommended that these users perform a custom install of Leopard and de-select the HP printer drivers in the installer. The proper drivers would be delivered via Software Update following the Leopard install, the company added.

With a self-imposed October launch timeframe quickly approaching, Apple would need to declare a build of Leopard Gold Master sometime in the next three weeks in order to meet the tail-end of that deadline.

On its website, Apple offers an illustrated overview of Leopard, a detailed list of top features, a breakdown of the software's core technologies, and a list of associated developer tools.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    Great news! Anyone know if there's a screenshot gallery up somewhere?
  • Reply 2 of 84
    this is good to hear. im glad theyre nearing a final release.

after this comes out i'll finally be able to get my new imac. ahhh =]

i find no reason in paying for a new computer and getting an old system with it, i'll just wait out the next month or so.
  • Reply 3 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... may be considered the first of several release candidates, the latter of which would eventually be declared Gold Master ...

... the last of which would ...
  • Reply 4 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banjo View Post

There really wont be much of a change from the last builds. They are done with features and currently building in stability.

This thing comes out in a month you know!
  • Reply 5 of 84
    If this is an RC then they must all be working 34 hours per day 17 days per week because the bug reports still flooding their inboxes show no sign of abating.

If this is an RC then I am definitely not upgrading until at least 10.5.4. I'll let the other suckers get burnt instead.
  • Reply 6 of 84
    Quote:

Oh please. What we need is a well functioning system. We need the loose wires all connected. We need to know the system is consistent and stable. Seriously: what the F is a bloody screenshot going to show you? As if you haven't seen thousands of them already? PUH-LEEZE.
  • Reply 7 of 84
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

here you go!

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/
  • Reply 8 of 84
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The second known issue affects users who have HP printers connected to their system or are upgrading from a Tiger system with an HP printer that had previously been configured.

You know, HP has always had a problem with their drivers on the Mac platform. I started experiencing problems with their printer drivers going from OS9 to OSX 10.0 and I'm not shocked at all about their drivers causing problems again. Do they put their interns on the Mac printer driver projects or what?
  • Reply 9 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairly View Post

If this is an RC then they must all be working 34 hours per day 17 days per week because the bug reports still flooding their inboxes show no sign of abating.

If this is an RC then I am definitely not upgrading until at least 10.5.4. I'll let the other suckers get burnt instead.

And you know this how?

Are you checking their inboxes?
  • Reply 10 of 84
    Quote:

Oh please. What we need is a well functioning system. We need the loose wires all connected. We need to know the system is consistent and stable. Seriously: what the F is a bloody screenshot going to show you? As if you haven't seen thousands of them already? PUH-LEEZE.

You excuse his enthusiasm and we will excuse you being a dick.
  • Reply 11 of 84
    I have downloaded and installed the latest Leopard build and it does in fact have a lot of fixes and patches. Only issue is that Mail crashes when you use stationary and have "check spelling before sending" in preferences.
  • Reply 12 of 84
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

*check*

10.x.0 releases have always had a little bit of bugs. For apple to note the above 2 bugs compared to other 10.x releases is kinda cool, because the list is usually a lot bigger than that near the FC / GM.

Apple has been keeping 2 seeds (one internal / one for devs). I'm sure leopard will have some small issues, but nothing big. Especially big like Vista. Leopard will do just fine, just like the other 10.x.0 releases. By 10.x.1 95% of the bugs will be fixed. the x.1 release usually takes them 2-6 weeks. Big deal.

Fairly, go troll somewhere else.
  • Reply 13 of 84
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

Yeah, I used to work in the vid games industry, and nothing makes a programmer cry like a hard release deadline looming while new serious bugs keep popping up like a game of whack-a-mole.

The best part is when they fix something, and the fix breaks something else key and critical, with two days to go to release. All while they've just pulled a few 100-hour weeks in a row. How those guys keep from jumping out the window, I don't know. They certainly deserve a lot more respect than they usually get.

Quote:

f this is an RC then I am definitely not upgrading until at least 10.5.4. I'll let the other suckers get burnt instead.

I may jump in at 10.5.1. Just hope my aging iBook G4 800MHz with 640MB RAM will be able to run it well.

• Reply 14 of 84
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Apple has been keeping 2 seeds (one internal / one for devs)

Could that possibly mean that the door is open for potential unanounced features, like major UI change or the like? Or are we going to get what we see now?
  • Reply 15 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I may jump in at 10.5.1.

Which will probably be 2 weeks after the retail release of 10.5.0
  • Reply 16 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I may jump in at 10.5.1. Just hope my aging iBook G4 800MHz with 640MB RAM will be able to run it well.

From what I understand, g4's aren't supported...
  • Reply 17 of 84
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    All I have to say is....

4K78 IS THE FINAL!

**AND**

4K78 IS NOT THE FINAL!

:
  • Reply 18 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

From what I understand, g4's aren't supported...

No, it's G3s, ie. B&W-machines that won't be supported any more.

/Adrian
  • Reply 19 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Well said, dear.
  • Reply 20 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

No, it's G3s, ie. B&W-machines that won't be supported any more.

/Adrian

Actually we're both wrong, SOME G4's aren't supported.

* Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 (867 MHz or faster) or G5 processor

* DVD drive

* Built-in FireWire

* At least 512 MB of RAM (additional RAM is recommended for development purposes)

* A built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer

* At least 7 GB of disk space available, or 12 GB of disk space if you install the developer tools

So the eMacs, some early iMacs, and some of the g4 towers won't be supported... according to the current requirements on these seeds.