Kid Nation: Reality TV gone too far?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
TV is a brilliant medium, but I must admit that most of the shows that appear on it are much less than brilliant. "Game Shows" are one category that I cannot stand [Jeopardy being a rare exception], but the modern variant, the "Reality Show" such as Survivor or Big Brother are.... well, let's just say I have sampled these shows, and they are definitely on my "I Will Not Watch That Shit" list.

Also on that list are the Jerry Springer's, Maury Povich's, and the rest of that ilk. I was not surprised to learn that one 'contestant' on a show was so upset that he off'ed himself due to terminal embarrassment. I do not know if this was 'reality' or some sort of publicity stunt/newly created urban myth. I do not care. Any adult dumb enough to watch or participate in one of those shows deserves what they get.

When I saw the add on CBS for 'Kid Nation' I was not surprised, but I was a bit shocked. If adults want to act like total buffoons and endure god knows what, so be it, but the children that appear in the promos for KN are not only young they are perhaps even pre-pubescent.

Despite how 'mature' they may be in their parents eyes, I seriously question the sanity of having children this young and inexperienced in the ways of life to be willingly placed in a "Survivor" type environment. Oh, yea, I bet I could google info on the show and find that they are protected by teams of doctors, social workers, psychologists, and no doubt an entire phalanx of lawyers with reams of papers obsolving everyone of any responsibility.

I know, I am bitching before I've seen what KN really is like. Yes, I am condemning this before KN has aired, but I am also offering the opportunity to all of you weigh in on this now. It might be interesting to see how opinions might change about this topic in the weeks to come.

Paz

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    this show looks interesting. I don't think that it goes too far, it makes sense actually. It might be funny to see how kids will react with no adults around
  • Reply 2 of 9
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm reserving judgement until I see it.

I will say this: I can't help but roll my eyes every time someone says, "When kids are coming home with burns on their arms something's wrong."

Really? How many times do kids hurt themselves (burns, falls, etc.) under direct parental supervision? The only way to avoid accidents altogether is to put a kid naked in a padded room.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rufusswan View Post

.. Maury Povich's ...

You spelled this wrong. It is correctly rendered "Morally Impoverished."
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Well,

I kept an open mind and watched the first show which has just played here in the central time zone.

This show was not interesting, it was MONDO INTERESTING. I think this is going to be the hit of the season. I would love to quote all the truly comic comments I heard during the show. I must confess, I loved it. I also larfed me arse off.

I still have some trepidations, and if it's a real hit, it will spawn no telling how many copy cats and thereby dilute the genre.

I seemed well orchestrated and ordered. Somebody obviously spent some time 'designing' the game. At least totall anarchy and chaos should not be the order of the day.

And, in the great Capitalist tradition, those that get "gold stars" score $20G's. Maybe the girl that won the first one will cease "Dancing for Nickels" in the middle of the street. Although there might be a job later for some saloon girls. Who knows?

Paz
  • Reply 5 of 9
    People, turn off your television sets. It's all worthless ad-driven drivel.

I watched Network last night. That film still has resonance. It clearly reveals the future of television (and the Internet even) and it's effect it has on the populous. Also the current state of corporate ownership of the networks and of network news.

Quote:

It's too late, Diana. There's nothing left in you that I can live with. You're one of Howard's humanoids. If I stay with you, I'll be destroyed. Like Howard Beale was destroyed. Like Laureen Hobbs was destroyed. Like everything you and the institution of television touch is destroyed. You're television incarnate, Diana: Indifferent to suffering; insensitive to joy. All of life is reduced to the common rubble of banality. War, murder, death are all the same to you as bottles of beer. And the daily business of life is a corrupt comedy. You even shatter the sensations of time and space into split seconds and instant replays. You're madness, Diana. Virulent madness. And everything you touch dies with you. But not me. Not as long as I can feel pleasure, and pain... and love.

• Reply 6 of 9
    There needs to be reality shows much more like Lord of the Flies where the contestants are dropped on a island and must battle to the death. Somthing much more like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale

Quote:

Every two years fifty 3rd year junior high (grade 9) classes are chosen to forcibly fight against one another until only one student remains alive.

(and no i do not actually read this crap)
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Having now seen the first episode, I think Kid Nation is a silly little show. Take Survivor with a few old buildings and children and you get Kid Nation.

Though it is amazing to see that adults in reality shows are often more dramatic than kids are. I guess most of the adults never grow up, they just get older.

I'm right on the fence whether I want to keep watching it or not. This next episode might determine that.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rufusswan View Post

Maybe the girl that won the first one will cease "Dancing for Nickels" in the middle of the street.

She got a bike out of it. Not bad.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Having now seen the first episode, I think Kid Nation is a silly little show. Take Survivor with a few old buildings and children and you get Kid Nation.

Though it is amazing to see that adults in reality shows are often more dramatic than kids are. I guess most of the adults never grow up, they just get older.

I'm right on the fence whether I want to keep watching it or not. This next episode might determine that.

Well, it is a 'game' show and it is adver'd as a 'reality' show, so I stand by my original opinion and agree with @_@artman. It's mindless drivel. And I do not apologize for LMAO during episode #1. Mindless drivel can be hilarious with enough beer to warp your logical thinking processes.

I still think kids will love the show. We shall see, unfortunately, the season is long. vveerryy lloonngg.

Paz