Apple drops new Leopard build, may be release candidate

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    Gettin' closer, babies...

• Reply 22 of 84
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

From what I understand, g4's aren't supported...

That's not what I've been hearing. FWIW, here's the sys reqs listed at Wikipedia:

System requirements

The pre-release documentation states the following system requirements[citation needed]:

Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 (867 MHz or faster) or G5 processor

DVD drive

Built-in FireWire

At least 512 MB of RAM (additional RAM is recommended for development purposes)

A built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer

At least 7 GB of disk space available, or 12 GB of disk space if you install the developer tools

Edit: Oops, ok, you saw that too now. I'm just happy that there's some G4 support, at least.

• Reply 23 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Gettin' closer, babies...

Who's T.O. winking at? The QB he'll be blaming all his dropped passes on, or his future parole officer?

• Reply 24 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

That's not what I've been hearing. FWIW, here's the sys reqs listed at Wikipedia:

System requirements

The pre-release documentation states the following system requirements[citation needed]:

Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 (867 MHz or faster) or G5 processor

DVD drive

Built-in FireWire

At least 512 MB of RAM (additional RAM is recommended for development purposes)

A built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer

At least 7 GB of disk space available, or 12 GB of disk space if you install the developer tools

Edit: Oops, ok, you saw that too now. I'm just happy that there's some G4 support, at least.

Oh darn. Looks like my Mac Pro can't run leopard.

jk, of course.
  • Reply 25 of 84
    Quote:

Who's T.O. winking at? The QB he'll be blaming all his dropped passes on, or his future parole officer?

• Reply 26 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

You excuse his enthusiasm and we will excuse you being a dick.

• Reply 27 of 84
    I'd really like to know if they've incorporated the entire ui of itunes into the whole os now. A lot of it has been incorporated, but last I saw, checkboxes and radio buttons were still old-style, and looked really ugly against the nice new ui in my opinion.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quine View Post

I'd really like to know if they've incorporated the entire ui of itunes into the whole os now. A lot of it has been incorporated, but last I saw, checkboxes and radio buttons were still old-style, and looked really ugly against the nice new ui in my opinion.

iTunes is the OS. It's the new OPENSTEP.
  • Reply 29 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

... the last of which would ...

If you are going to correct other peoples grammer it usually wise to make sure that they are indeed incorrect and your suggested replacement is indeed better. In this case you score 0/10 on both counts, bad luck.
  • Reply 30 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

iTunes is the OS. It's the new OPENSTEP.

how exactly is that?
  • Reply 31 of 84
    So a little birdie told me 9A599 is out now....
  • Reply 32 of 84
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

how exactly is that?

OPENSTEP was a multiplatform API set that Next made to sit on top of operating systems like Solaris and Windows NT. It was essentially a scaled down OS (not just a presentation layer) on top of an OS. iTunes has many processes on both Windows and Mac operating systems that make me wonder what in the heck is it doing.

I see iTunes being integrated into Leopard and on the Windows side too. I have to wonder besides the obvious of supporting the iPod and iPhone if the OPENSTEP engineers (if any are left at Apple) are using iTunes as a Trojan horse to make Windows more OSX-ish. Hence creating an Apple familiarity that is a big advertisement for people to consider Apple on their next computer purchase.

What was the need for Safari to be on Windows? No Apple hardware requires Safari on Windows, so why was Apple so generous to develop it? Next we'll see the iLife and iWorks products on Windows, because all the API underlying them are already ported over. Hence the OPENSTEP reference.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

If you are going to correct other peoples grammer it usually wise to make sure that they are indeed incorrect and your suggested replacement is indeed better. In this case you score 0/10 on both counts, bad luck.

Not to turn this into a grammar debate, but the correction was indeed correct. "Latter" is used only when talking about two items. "Last" should have been used in this case because it was referring to one of several release candidates.
  • Reply 34 of 84
    Quote:

OPENSTEP was a multiplatform API set that Next made to sit on top of operating systems like Solaris and Windows NT. It was essentially a scaled down OS (not just a presentation layer) on top of an OS. iTunes has many processes on both Windows and Mac operating systems that make me wonder want in the heck is it doing.

I see iTunes being integrated into Leopard and on the Windows side too. I have to wonder besides the obvious of supporting the iPod and iPhone if the OPENSTEP engineers (if any are left at Apple) are using iTunes as a Trojan horse to make Windows more OSX-ish. Hence creating an Apple familiarity that is a big advertisement for people to consider Apple on their next computer purchase.

What was the need for Safari to be on Windows? No Apple hardware requires Safari on Windows, so why was Apple so generous to develop it? Next we'll see the iLife and iWorks products on Windows, because all the API underlying them are already ported over. Hence the OPENSTEP reference.

Windows iTunes is an application so people have to be able to learn how to use it quickly. While some elements are modeled after osx, i would not say that using itunes actually helps a user learn how to use osx. The only real way for a user to become familiar with the os it to actually use it.

safari on windows makes sence as it will improve the osx version (more website/pluggin support) and more users can developer for the iPhone.
  • Reply 35 of 84
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

All I have to say is....

4K78 IS THE FINAL!

**AND**

4K78 IS NOT THE FINAL!

:

Schrödinger's cat is a Leopard?
  • Reply 36 of 84
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

What was the need for Safari to be on Windows?

Maybe so Windows developers can test their sites for iPhone compatibility. Obviously the final tests would have to be on a real iPhone, but just while they're working a Safari window could be useful.
  • Reply 37 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Best... animated gif.... EVER.

We are not worthy.

• Reply 38 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Idle View Post

Not to turn this into a grammar debate, but the correction was indeed correct. "Latter" is used only when talking about two items. "Last" should have been used in this case because it was referring to one of several release candidates.

No, Latter can mean the the most recent in a series, not just the latest of two.

Used in the way it was used in the sentence it is indeed a correct use of the word, it seems very very petty that someone's only contribution to the debate is to point out a perceived incorrect use of grammar that was actually correct.

From Merriam-Websters Dictionary....

Quote:

Main Entrytlat·ter

Pronunciationt'la-t&r

Functiontadjective

EtymologytMiddle English, from Old English lætra, comparative of læt late

1 a : belonging to a subsequent time or period : more recent <the latter stages of growth> b : of or relating to the end <in their latter days> c : RECENT, PRESENT <affected by latter calamities>

2 : of, relating to, or being the second of two groups or things or the last of several groups or things referred to <of ham and beef the latter meat is cheaper today> <of ham and beef the latter is cheaper today>

• Reply 39 of 84
    Quote:

Best... animated gif.... EVER.

We are not worthy.

Very true!

<Chuck Norris crouches - picks up some dirt - smells it - and says "A plane crashed here"> Bonus points to anyone who knows this one
  • Reply 40 of 84
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

OPENSTEP was a multiplatform API set that Next made to sit on top of operating systems like Solaris and Windows NT. It was essentially a scaled down OS (not just a presentation layer) on top of an OS. iTunes has many processes on both Windows and Mac operating systems that make me wonder what in the heck is it doing.

The reason for Safari on Windows is not just to familiarize microsofties with Apple software or to provide Apple fans who are forced to do windows with a familiar browser, but to help ensure that sites are developed with Safari compatibility.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairly View Post

If this is an RC then I am definitely not upgrading until at least 10.5.4. I'll let the other suckers get burnt instead.

I normally wait for 10.x.2, but I'll probably jump on 10.5.1 because I've been waiting for Resolution Independence since before OpenStep.