OS X 10.2 DVD playback on PowerBook G3 - Firewire

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I hope someone can help me out...

I have a PB G3 - Firewire edition. If I install 10.2 will the DVD playback work on an external monitor.

With 10.1.5 I still cannot use my DVD player on my TV to watch movies. I have to boot to OS 9 in order to do this.

I'll buy jaguar in an instant if it allows me to play my DVD's on my TV.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    spotbugspotbug Posts: 361member
    Just here to point out the obvious: You can by a regular (non-computer) DVD player for the price of Jaguar.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by spotbug:

<strong>Just here to point out the obvious: You can by a regular (non-computer) DVD player for the price of Jaguar.</strong><hr></blockquote>

don't answer so stupid.

This would interest me too.

I have a 2nd monitor connected to a PCI Graphic Card, and I would like to watch DVD's on that monitor because it's the bigger one.

Brad ? or anyone with a 2nd monitor and 10.2

hint: if you connect a tv to the PB, does it act as a second monitor ? if so, you could drag the menu bar over to the second monitor, and use it as main screen. don't know if that works, haven't got a DVD here to test it.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    [quote]hint: if you connect a tv to the PB, does it act as a second monitor ? if so, you could drag the menu bar over to the second monitor, and use it as main screen. don't know if that works, haven't got a DVD here to test it. <hr></blockquote>

Connecting a TV to the PB does function like a second monitor, but for some reason in OS X DVD playback will not work on the second monitor/TV.

The DVD window will appear blank. You will get sound, but no video.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    Hey...

I have a PowerBook G3 Pismo (firewire). I have not tried playing a DVD through a TV with OS X yet. I'll work on it and get back to you on the issue, and I'll let you know about what happens with 10.2 after Saturday.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by ignite:

<strong>I hope someone can help me out...

With 10.1.5 I still cannot use my DVD player on my TV to watch movies. I have to boot to OS 9 in order to do this.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry guys, but I've used my Pismo to watch DVDs on an external monitor or TV many times. Just use video mirroring when using a TV and dim the pismo's screen. On my monitor I use it without the LCD working so it displays there by default.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Ditto that - no problems here.

You have to have the external video selected to 640x480, then mirror them. This changes your LCD video to 640x480 as well, but since you're not using it...

Works every time for me. I will admit that it took some playing with it until I got the steps down pat.

1) Plug in external video and audio

2) In System Preferences isplays, click 'Detect Displays'

3) Wait for it all to stop flashing, then select the TV settings dialog. Set to 640x480.

4) Click on the Arrange tab in the LCD (main) display dialog.

5) Select 'Mirror Displays'

6) Pop your DVD in, and let DVD Player fire up.

7) You should be good to go.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I don't think you even need to mirror them. On my pbook G4 I couldn't get it to play DVDs until I figured out the resolution change thing, it then worked on the TV so long as I moved the menubar from the computer monitor to the TV screen using the Arrange tab in the monitors pane of system settings.

Also, I had to calibrate the color settings for the TV, otherwise it looked too bright.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nordstrodamus:

<strong>I don't think you even need to mirror them. On my pbook G4 I couldn't get it to play DVDs until I figured out the resolution change thing, it then worked on the TV so long as I moved the menubar from the computer monitor to the TV screen using the Arrange tab in the monitors pane of system settings.

Also, I had to calibrate the color settings for the TV, otherwise it looked too bright.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The mirroring makes it easier to 'recover' afterwards. The differing sizes cause funky things to happen to windows, the Dock, etc, if you move the menu bar. At least in my experience, and it's been a while since I tried anything but my list above. It used to be crufty, perhaps it has been streamlined.