Any ideas for future Mac Mini?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I want to buy a Mac Mini to use in my home office but am wondering if there's been any speculation of the next Mac Mini. For awhile I know it was rumored it would disappear but yet it was updated. I wish they had added 'n' networking instead of g. I've heard how now the Macbook may be going to aluminum so I'm wondering if the Mini will be doing that and no longer being in the white enclosure. Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 122
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AubreyL View Post

I want to buy a Mac Mini to use in my home office but am wondering if there's been any speculation of the next Mac Mini. For awhile I know it was rumored it would disappear but yet it was updated. I wish they had added 'n' networking instead of g. I've heard how now the Macbook may be going to aluminum so I'm wondering if the Mini will be doing that and no longer being in the white enclosure. Any ideas?

Strange I remember responding to a post like this someplace else. First not many of use consider what has happened to the Mini to be an update. My take on the mini is that it is overpriced for what you get, but not unreasonably so. I would never suggest a Mini for and office environment all on its own, as a node sitting on a network that is a different story.

I would also suggest that there are better values to be found in both PC land and Apple Land.
  • Reply 2 of 122
    better on board video is likey come but a real video card is better.
  • Reply 3 of 122
    The lack of any real update (all they did was drop in a C2D rather than CD) indicates that the Mini is dead (iaw AI's article some time ago).

I think we could see a more advanced AppleTV in the future to cover the Minis that are currently used as media devices and hopefully a modern day Cube/Mac to replace the higher end/switcher's machine.
  • Reply 4 of 122
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Eight cores, baby! Hey, a man can dream, right?
  • Reply 5 of 122
    They should fuse AppleTV and Mini into the same machine.

Intel C2D 2.0Ghz, 1GB, 80GB, Intel GMA X3K.

Give it at least a Combo drive to watch DVD, CD and burn Audio CD.

Maybe even make a second HD capable model with a HD-DVD, Bluray Drive.

Display, KB and Mouse can remain optional as the purpose is to use it as a Home Media PC. Just include an Apple Remote.

Give it Component Video, Optical/Analog Audio IO, and HDMI connections.

Airport and/or Ethernet should find shared iTunes libraries across the network and be able to stream content.

Would be able to accept USB/BT KB/Mouse to use as a normal computer.

Introduced along with OS X 10.5 in late October.

Mini: $299

Mini HD: $499
  • Reply 6 of 122
    intel dual core 2hz, 2 gigs ram, 160gm hdd, they can fit all that in the new mac mini
  • Reply 7 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennyWRX View Post

They should fuse AppleTV and Mini into the same machine.

Intel C2D 2.0Ghz, 1GB, 80GB, Intel GMA X3K.

Give it at least a Combo drive to watch DVD, CD and burn Audio CD.

Maybe even make a second HD capable model with a HD-DVD, Bluray Drive.

Display, KB and Mouse can remain optional as the purpose is to use it as a Home Media PC. Just include an Apple Remote.

Give it Component Video, Optical/Analog Audio IO, and HDMI connections.

Airport and/or Ethernet should find shared iTunes libraries across the network and be able to stream content.

Would be able to accept USB/BT KB/Mouse to use as a normal computer.

Introduced along with OS X 10.5 in late October.

Mini: $299

Mini HD: $499

Sounds very sensible. I assume it would boot into media "Front Row" mode but there would be an option (with Cube transition) to move in to Leopard.

I actual think three models. Combo 1.66GHz, Superdrive 1.83GHz, and then the HD version 2.0GHz, will come later once the dust on the HD-DVD/Blu-ray debate has settled. I would hope to see a full size hard drive to keep capacity high and costs low.
  • Reply 8 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

The lack of any real update (all they did was drop in a C2D rather than CD) indicates that the Mini is dead (iaw AI's article some time ago).

The mini is supposed to be an entry level Mac so when the first model with Intel processors came out the low-end had a core solo, but that was dropped after its first update, but keeping the mini with a 32-bit processor. The MacBook and MacBook Pro were both moved to Core 2 Duo with their first updates making Apple's entire portable lines 64-bit.

The mini skipped an update so the MacBook and MacBook Pro could get even further ahead by getting 802.11n networking, with the MacBook Pro also getting Santa Rosa moving it even further ahead of the MacBook. The update the mini got is good, and it can now get back on its regular refresh schedule.

As for the next updates; the MacBook will move to Santa Rosa giving us the GMA X3100 graphics, the MacBook Pro will use the Penryn processors, and the Mac mini will get 802.11n wireless, but continue to use the current GMA 950 graphics.
  • Reply 9 of 122
    Make is Cube shaped. 10x10. Stick any gpu of my choice in it. Desktop class cpu. ...and...1 fat hd.

4 gigs ram.

I[m done.

Lemon BOn Bon.
  • Reply 10 of 122
    As much as I love the mini, I think Mac Pro should become smaller and cheaper. If the base model starts at $999 and is about half the size, I think I would go Pro. That said, the cheapest Mac Pro is $2200, so that's probably not gonna happen either.
  • Reply 11 of 122

• Reply 12 of 122
    tripotripo Posts: 74member
    I wish Apple would let us choose an EXTREME mini - full of flavour - Nvidia Graphics,BUS speed boost ...let it be pricey but spicEy ! And let it be the ultimate Media center- add the blue ray or HD disc.

nice thought huh !
  • Reply 13 of 122
    After my Performa and early iMacs blew tubes or ports and became useless every two years or so, I got my present mini G4 and ACD. With 3 plus years on this set up things couldn't be better. When Leopard arrives, da mini may find a second life running iPhotos and DVDs on the Big Pany TV in the kids room and I'll be using a new C2D mini for here. Or I might keep it here and see how long a PPC mini will go on working hard for the $499 I paid for it. My first thought was the mini is a disposable computer, but there are dozens of uses for it elsewhere in the home or office while shiny new iMacs grow old, cripple and just get dumped.
  • Reply 14 of 122
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by looksthatkill View Post

Mmmm Mac Nano. Not sure it'd be vertical though, it wouldn't fit under an LCD TV very well especially with disc coming out the top Cube-stylee.
  • Reply 15 of 122
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jiggy05 View Post

After my Performa and early iMacs blew tubes or ports and became useless every two years or so, I got my present mini G4 and ACD. With 3 plus years on this set up things couldn't be better. When Leopard arrives, da mini may find a second life running iPhotos and DVDs on the Big Pany TV in the kids room and I'll be using a new C2D mini for here. Or I might keep it here and see how long a PPC mini will go on working hard for the $499 I paid for it. My first thought was the mini is a disposable computer, but there are dozens of uses for it elsewhere in the home or office while shiny new iMacs grow old, cripple and just get dumped.

Is your G4 a 800 or less? Leopard won't work.
  • Reply 16 of 122
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I'm guessing the next mini will have a lower-end processor, and perhaps also a 3.5" HD. The mini now is too expensive: anyone with half a brain will buy an iMac or an AppleTV instead. So, either the mini will go away completely or will be cheaper, perhaps conjoining with the AppleTV.
  • Reply 17 of 122
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Is your G4 a 800 or less? Leopard won't work.

G4 minis started at 1.25Ghz.
  • Reply 18 of 122
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I'm guessing the next mini will have a lower-end processor, and perhaps also a 3.5" HD. The mini now is too expensive: anyone with half a brain will buy an iMac or an AppleTV instead.

I have half a brain and just bought a mini. I'm very happy with it thank you. iMacs and AppleTVs are junk, IMHO (my half-brain humble opinion).
  • Reply 19 of 122
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    If I were in charge at Apple I would keep the mini the same, combine a Mini and AppleTV, and add 2 Channel HD-DVR capabilities to it.

As of now I think Apple TV is a stupid waste of money for anyone who owns one. These changes would give it a huge leg up. What Apple should do is buy Tivo and start making a Cable Box with AppleTV, iTunes, and AirTunes features built in. Wifi Docking stations available for ipods, and iPhones. That would rock!
  • Reply 20 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

I have half a brain and just bought a mini. I'm very happy with it thank you. iMacs and AppleTVs are junk, IMHO (my half-brain humble opinion).

Well, then you're a rarity. It's no secret that mini sales have been down, and declining, while iMac sales (and all other mac sales) have been up.