Clips don't open in WMV or QuickTime

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Sometimes, I get e-mails that contain clips that show a QuickTime icon and the letters WMV. They used to open automatically when clicked on. For the last few months, they don't. I get an error message:The movie could not be opened. It has a QuickTime icon on a yellow triangle and an exclamation point.

If I drop the clips on the Windows Media Player icon in the dock, they do open. Not so on the QuickTime icon.

Evidently, I have done something that causes the clips not to open automatically as before.

I've checked both WMP and QT preferences, but I do not see anything, as far as I know, that would have caused the change.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    If the files are Windows Media 10, Windows Media 11, or any version of DRMed Windows Media, then nothing on the Mac can play them.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

If the files are Windows Media 10, Windows Media 11, or any version of DRMed Windows Media, then nothing on the Mac can play them.

How will I know what version they are? The extension is just .wmv

The one's I'm referring to DO open, but not automatically. I have to drop them on the Windows Media player icon to get them to open.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Get rid of Windows Media Player and download Flip4Mac.

It won't help you with DRM'd files, but it'll open .wmv files in QuickTime.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cake View Post

Get rid of Windows Media Player and download Flip4Mac.

It won't help you with DRM'd files, but it'll open .wmv files in QuickTime.

Tried it several times. No luck. I get that same error message even with Flip4Mac.

I had to bring Windows Media Player back. And it still requires that I drop the .wmv file on it before it'll open.

There must be something wrong "under the hood". I've had trouble with opening files since I downloaded QuickTime 7.2 Now, QT won't open anything.

Thanks, anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

How will I know what version they are? ...

If you have Flip4Mac installed and can get the QuickTime Player to open the files, then press [Apple]+[ i ] or choose the Window > Show Movie Inspector.

Quote:

The one's I'm referring to DO open, ...

This is exactly what I would expect of a Windows Media 10 or Windows Media 11 file. The audio should play, but the video should not.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    These are the kind of clips that I have gotten in the past. 1., 2., and 4. open automatically. No problems now.

1. QuickTime Movie opens auto - Video and Audio icon: QT blue circle and letters "wmv".

2. Windows Media Audio/Video file (ext. wmv) opens auto - Video and Audio. icon: blue triangle in orange circle

3. Kind: wmv (ext. wmv like 2. above icon: QT blue circle and letters 'wmv' like 1. above

[error message when tried with QT player; WMV (Flip4Mac); or Real Player: The movie could not be opened.] Opens only when dropped on Windows Media Player. Video and Audio.

4. Kind: MPG opens auto Video and Audio icon: sheet of paper with dog eared upper right corner.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

These are the kind of clips that I have gotten in the past. 1., 2., and 4. open automatically. No problems now.

I am relieved that you have solved your problem. Obviously, your files are Windows Media 9 or older. However, the particular version of Windows Media format of your .wmv files are not indicated by the file icon. Microsoft's WMP 9 and Flip4Mac have a single version of their icons for all versions of the format.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

I am relieved that you have solved your problem. Obviously, your files are Windows Media 9 or older. However, the particular version of Windows Media format of your .wmv files are not indicated by the file icon. Microsoft's WMP 9 and Flip4Mac have a single version of their icons for all versions of the format.

Thank you and the other AI members for useful suggestions. It always amazes me that I can get help I need from AI. I've wondered how much I've saved in repair costs, time, and effort since becoming a member last year. Actually, this forum is better than the help I've paid for. The give and take, question and answer aspect makes AI more valuable. Paid help gives you an answer or fix and doesn't want to hear from you gain - especially if their answers don't work. That's not to say that you guys have answered every problem I've posted, but in a lot of cases you've pointed out a direction that I've followed and was able to find the answer myself. That makes AI even more valuable. I'm not as helpless as I was when I joined AI.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I had the same frustrating message that QT said 'Error opening movie' ,when I tried to open a wmv file.

I have windows media player 9 installed and that would play the movie but i want QT to,

so heres what I did.

Firstly I installed flipmac 4, but that wouldnt open the file either.Very painful.

Well i was back to square one.

Next thing i tried worked.

On the file i tried to open, I clicked apple-i [get info] and went down to where it says Open With,

i clicked on the arrows at the side to reveal all of my options,which were VLC Player,WMV Player[flip mac 4] and Windows Media Player.

I selected VLC which would only play the sound,I then selected Windows Media Player and that worked fine,but I want QT to play it!!

Finally i selected WMV player[flipmac4] again and voila, it worked and now opens open all my WMV files in QT by default.

Hope this helps you all.

Skeetz.