Microsoft says Office 2008 for Mac bundles to start at $150

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Exhibiting at the Apple Expo in Paris on Tuesday, Microsoft Corp. said it will release three versions of its Office 2008 for Mac productivity suite in January, including a pricier special edition aimed at creative professionals who are continually daunted by the task of organizing their growing digital media libraries.

Office 2008 for Mac Home and Student Edition will be the least expensive of the company's offerings, specially priced at $150 and bundling new versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage. The package, aimed at users with basic productivity needs, will include a license that allow users to install those applications on up to three computers.

The standard edition of the software suite -- to be called simply Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac -- will retail for $400 and include all of the features of the Home and Student Edition, adding connectivity to Microsoft Exchange Server and support for automated workflows.

Meanwhile, a third and final version, Office 2008 for Mac Special Media Edition, will retail for $500 and include all the features of the standard edition together with the Microsoft Expression Media -- a powerful and customizable image management software application for importing, annotating, organizing, archiving, searching and distributing users? ever-growing collections of digital files. This special edition is geared specifically toward professional users who need Microsoft Exchange Server support and Automator tools but are also looking for one product to meet all their productivity and digital asset management needs.

In addition, Microsoft said all versions of Office 2008 for Mac support the new Open XML file format and are Universal applications that will perform natively on Power PC- and Intel-based Macs. Each version will be available in Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Swedish, and, for the first time, in the Nordic languages (Danish, Finnish and Norwegian).

"We built Office 2008 with the unifying goal of making it easier for Mac users to access the tools they need to get the job done -- whether it?s creating a brochure for their business, managing their family schedule and finances, or finalizing a presentation to share between Macs and PCs," said Craig Eisler, general manager of the Mac BU at Microsoft. "And, of course, Office 2008 for Mac will provide the document fidelity with the 2007 Microsoft Office system that our users need to stay connected with their friends and co-workers on PCs."

Microsoft Word 2008 Publishing Layout View

As showcased at Macworld Expo 2007, Office 2008 for Mac is designed to help users get more from their Macs by making key functions accessible through a more intuitive design and by introducing smart features such as Ledger Sheets in Excel 2008, My Day with Entourage 2008, Publishing Layout View in Word 2008 and SmartArt graphics in PowerPoint 2008 that are simple to use and yield powerful results. Entourage 2008 also features improved Windows Exchange Server support, with enhanced reliability and functionality.

"We?ve worked closely with Microsoft since it launched the first version of Office for Mac more than 20 years ago,? said Ron Okamoto, vice president of Worldwide Developer Relations at Apple. "Office delivers tremendous compatibility across platforms for Mac and PC customers, and we look forward to another great user experience with Office 2008 for Mac."

Microsoft said Office 2008 for Mac will be available in the United States beginning Jan. 15, 2008, with global general availability in the first quarter of 2008. In addition to the standard retail pricing mentioned above, the company will also offer specially priced upgrade versions for legally licensed users of previous versions. Upgrades to the standard addition will be offered for $240, while upgrades to the special edition will fetch $300. No upgrade options are available for the aggressively priced Home and Student Edition.

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Editions and Pricing

Microsoft also announced that it has begun a new the technology guarantee program that allows customers in select regions who purchase qualifying Office 2004 for Mac products to upgrade to a version of Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac for only the cost of shipping, handling and applicable taxes. More information about the program specifics is available at Microsoft's Office website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    I hope Microsoft don't do their usual $=£ mapping for Office like they did with Vista (and they wonder why it isn't selling). If the $399 version is £199 + VAT, then fair enough, but if it is anything over £300 then they can go take a hike.

I also hope they haven't ported Excel 2007's lack of mathematical correctness.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    For some reason this has made me want to ditch Office 2007 now and get to Apple Mail etc or Open Office as soon as possible. New Office looks ugly, bloated and a rip-off.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danmetallic View Post

For some reason this has made me want to ditch Office 2007 now and get to Apple Mail etc or Open Office as soon as possible. New Office looks ugly, bloated and a rip-off.

What did I just pay for iWork? was it $75? I think so. After having if for less than the entire weekend I have used it quite productively to get planning for a major event under control, I really like it. Easy to figure out, easy to apply to any problem, visually appealing, and I guess 50% off.

I will admit that there are some differences from Office that are driving me nuts, but not because it isn't well made, just because 10+ years of habit is hard to break.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    man oh man. do they really think people are still that hooked on Office?

There are so many other ways to get stuff done out there - free ways, cheap ways.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mowenbrown View Post

What did I just pay for iWork? was it $75? I think so. After having if for less than the entire weekend I have used it quite productively to get planning for a major event under control, I really like it. Easy to figure out, easy to apply to any problem, visually appealing, and I guess 50% off.

I will admit that there are some differences from Office that are driving me nuts, but not because it isn't well made, just because 10+ years of habit is hard to break.

Well, in a 3-Mac household, you'd be paying $75 each ($225 overall) to legally outfit them with iWork '08.

You'd pay $150 ($50 each) to legally outfit them all with Microsoft Office 2008.

So it boils down to needs. In a single computer set-up, iWork certainly is the more attractive offer (functionality issues set aside for the moment).

If you are purchasing for 2 or 4 computers, then Microsoft Office 2008 is on equal footing price-wise.

If you're purchasing for 3, or 5 or more computers, then Microsoft Office has the upper hand in price.

[edit] My math was right, but my pricing scheme for iWork was wrong. Sorry.[/edit]
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Well, in a 3-Mac household, you'd be paying $75 each ($225 overall) to legally outfit them with iWork '08.

You'd pay $150 ($50 each) to legally outfit them all with Microsoft Office 2008.

So it boils down to needs. In a single computer set-up, iWork certainly is the more attractive offer (functionality issues set aside for the moment).

If are purchasing for 2 or 3 computers at once, then Microsoft Office 2008 suddenly becomes more worthy of consideration.

Not true. The "family" version of iWork '08 is $99 for 5 licenses. $50 cheaper than Office 2008. Still, I will be buying Office 2008. I really want to like iWork, but Pages still doesn't meet my requirements.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by velocitychannel View Post

Not true. The "family" version of iWork '08 is $99 for 5 licenses. $50 cheaper than Office 2008. Still, I will be buying Office 2008. I really want to like iWork, but Pages still doesn't meet my requirements.

Oh. I hadn't noticed the family version of iWork. My bad.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    I can't see the appeal of Office.

Keynote is clearly a better application than Powerpoint.

Pages (In my opinion) if far better than Word. I find it's work flow to be intuitive and easy to understand.

However, Numbers is in it's infancy and is not yet up to the standard of excel. But if you need excel for a simple spreadsheet, Numbers is fine.

With regards to compatibility.. Pages opens and exports word documents (and pdfs unlike word). Similarly for Keynote and Numbers with powerpoint and excel files respectively.

iWork's tight integration with iPhoto, iTunes and iMovie is also a big plus for the mac user.

Even if Office and iWork were the same price I would buy iWork. Office has zero appeal for me.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Yeah, Apple needs to fix Numbers ASAP.

It's embarrassing that a platform built largely for manipulating large graphic files could have such trouble with a few spreadsheet columns.

When you think it took six years just for Apple to follow up on AppleWorks' spreadsheet component, it's even more embarrassing.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    The only reason I even need office is to make documents that will be viewed/edited on windows.

The mac version of office would only be useful if documents looked the same in it as they do on the windows version, something Microsoft has yet to achieve. Hell, iWork does a better job than office for mac.

I think I'll just stick to iWork for most of my work, and office 2003/2007 for anything that needs to be shared with windows users.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    The only thing I need Office for is decent Exchange support on the Mac, unfortunately Mail.app and other 3rd party apps just don't cut it. I'm PO'd they're going to charge an additional $250 just for that feature. I so wish we could dump Exchange for a standards based e-mail system. I'll have to check on the current status of the Mac version of Novell Evolution. Last time I checked is was good feature wise, but was a bit unstable for production usage. Hopefully some of the bugs have been worked out and I can dump Entourage for Evolution. At least Novell doesn't charge for an Exchange connection. The link for Novell Evolution for Mac OS X is:

http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfco...c%20OS%20X%20/
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Why doesn't the student edition include Exchange support? Any decent school uses Exchange for their e-mail system. Way to segment your markets Microsoft.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    I love how their new toolbar takes up 1/3 of the screen vertically on a widescreen monitor.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Hey, Word has got Wood.

I'm switching back to Word from Pages now.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Who needs $400 for M$ office when you can get NeoOffice for $0.

http://www.neooffice.org/
  • Reply 16 of 30
    I can't wait for it since I am a fan of Entourage. I wonder what updates they've added to Entourage to make it even better.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Who needs $400 for M$ office when you can get NeoOffice for $0.

http://www.neooffice.org/

And NeoOffice is worth every penny IME.

I'd rather pay $400 personally if that was the only choice.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Anyone who purchases Microsoft Office for 2004 for Mac between September 25th 2007 and March 31st 2008 will qualify to get Office for Mac 2008 for only £15.90 (for shipping & handling costs basically, the product is free), according to an email I got from my Apple Authorised Distributor today, a part of Microsoft's "Technology Guarantee" deal... all they have to do is fill out a Technology Guarantee Redemption Form, which should be aviable for download from the Microsoft website eventually or from a Reseller, and return it by April 15th 2008.

Here's how it will work...

Purchase Office 2004 for Mac Standard Edition and get

Office 2008 for Mac Special Media Edition Upgrade - English

Purchase Office 2004 for Mac Standard Edition Upgrade and get

Office 2008 for Mac Special Media Edition Upgrade - English

Purchase Office 2004 for Mac Student & Teacher Edition and get

Office 2008 for Mac Home and Student Edition - English

I'm half-tempted to buy now, I assume a simmilar deal will also apply for non-UK customers...
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Yeah, Apple needs to fix Numbers ASAP.

It's embarrassing that a platform built largely for manipulating large graphic files could have such trouble with a few spreadsheet columns.

When you think it took six years just for Apple to follow up on AppleWorks' spreadsheet component, it's even more embarrassing.

BTW, www.numberstemplates.com is a growing community of users with free templates. I'm going there more often, and I think I'll be uploading some content soon.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    If you work with clients in even medium sized companies, most will be using Office. I paid for my Mac suite license on the first job (actually they did -- I billed it to them as a condition of development cost.)

I adore what I can do with Keynote. But since most clients only have PowerPoint, all that glitz is lost when converted. They don't want a QuickTIme movie of a presentation, or a Flash executable.

You get a great little text processor in TextEdit for free, if you're really cheap. Pick up a copy of the tips and tricks from PeachTree on how to use it more completely.

Nobody hates giving Microsoft money more than I do, but that fact that most of my clients need Office files, not Office-compliant files. The fact that they use Windows keeps me in business -- the cost of Office for Mac is a small price to pay. If my clients all used Macs and used iWork and iLife as their applications, I'd not make as much money.