Thin Apple notebooks may come clad in black aluminum

Comments

• Reply 121 of 176
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fortmajor View Post

so what do you think the odds are that this releases with the new os?

About 8/1
  • Reply 122 of 176
    Here's the thing, remember all those years ago when you bought your first ipod and spent hours if not days loading up all of your CD back catalogue, before you started downloading tunes... surely if someone is buying their first mac/itunes/ ipod experince they can't be expected to download their entire back catalogue.. can they?
  • Reply 123 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barney View Post

Here's the thing, remember all those years ago when you bought your first ipod and spent hours if not days loading up all of your CD back catalogue, before you started downloading tunes... surely if someone is buying their first mac/itunes/ ipod experince they can't be expected to download their entire back catalogue.. can they?

You got your answer in the other thread you posted in with the exact same thing. External.
  • Reply 124 of 176
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

yeah if you're an idiot and trust some company because it has "superior arrays" over the next bunch of bozos for $5.00/month less. Not to mention no matter how confidential any company says their info is there are always risks. My stuff in my house. Your stuff on some corps servers. Have fun.

You just dated yourself grandpa by saying warez kid lol who the f%$@ says that anymore? Wired mag?

Right...and if your house burns down all your photos go up in smoke. But my backup on S3 is somewhere in Amazon's cloud. For a head crash a RAID array is good enough if I don't have a 2 drive failure. I guess your data isn't all that important to you if you don't have offsite storage.

Like Amazon cares about baby pictures of my kid.

Who the hell has time to back up a terabyte worth of crap onto a stack of DVDs anyway? Oh you.

I'd rather just buy more disks and do a RAID 10. Anything that can happen to my array can happen to a stack of DVDs.
  • Reply 125 of 176
    I'm not trying to inject myself into this debate. I have a question.

What's wrong with a home user having an external HDD (or two) and backing up with superduper?

I'm guessing a RAID setup is better, although in all honesty I'm not all that familiar with RAID. Is that really necessary for a home user?
  • Reply 126 of 176
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I'm not trying to inject myself into this debate. I have a question.

What's wrong with a home user having an external HDD (or two) and backing up with superduper?

I'm guessing a RAID setup is better, although in all honesty I'm not all that familiar with RAID. Is that really necessary for a home user?

You can mirror. Then remove the drive, and put another one in. Move it somewhere safe, if it's really important.

It depends on how important the home user feels thing are. It varies. Most people feel their stuff is important, but not important enough to back up.
  • Reply 127 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You can mirror. Then remove the drive, and put another one in. Move it somewhere safe, if it's really important.

It depends on how important the home user feels thing are. It varies. Most people feel their stuff is important, but not important enough to back up.

I backup to an external HDD. I don't have a RAID setup though. I'm feeling a little inadequate after reading this thread.

Is an external HDD backup adequate or should I do more?
  • Reply 128 of 176
    Quote:

I backup to an external HDD. I don't have a RAID setup though. I'm feeling a little inadequate after reading this thread.

This us becoming very Zen-like.

How important is your stuff?

Is it important enough to keep if your HDD crashes forever?

Is it important enough that you will want it in 40 years?

Is it important enough to worry about after your house burns down to the ground?

Those are different levels. the highest level determines what you need to do.
  • Reply 129 of 176
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

If you are doing a regular backup at all, then you are doing more and better than 95% of what computer users do. Different backup schemes are good at different things. Mirroring doesn't protect against power surges that blow your drives, or prevent accidental overwriting, or provide anything of a history to go back to if a new version is corrupted. Mirroring is pretty obscure or rarely used, though I think all current OSs offer it. Mac mirroring is very easy.

It's a good idea to have a backup that's completely disconnected from power and computer except when backing up.

Everything eventually fails or breaks, and you can get some pretty significant backup regimens where you rotate through several drives, with regular complete and incremental backups and such which provides you a history and fallback positions.
  • Reply 130 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

On my current Macbook, I have used the optical on about two occasions in three months (OS X install, ripping one DVD). I definitely don't need or want an internal optical drive on a laptop.

Do you not anticipate the need to install any software, or burn a disk?
  • Reply 131 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

I can't answer for him, but I can say that it depends on what you intend for the thing.

I would imagine that most, if not pretty much all, people who buy an ultraportable also have another computer.

While some people use portables as a desktop replacement, an ultraportable is simply not a good candidate.

You are not likely to put nearly as much software on your ultraportable, as it's not suited to doing much of the work bigger machines are designed for.

Therefore, most of these devices will be mostly used for communications, rather than for heavy applications. The few new installs done, therefore, can be brought over from your "standard" machine. Any updates are usually done from downloaded packages.
  • Reply 132 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This us becoming very Zen-like.

How important is your stuff?

Is it important enough to keep if your HDD crashes forever?

Is it important enough that you will want it in 40 years?

Is it important enough to worry about after your house burns down to the ground?

Those are different levels. the highest level determines what you need to do.

rolf nice one mel!

• Reply 133 of 176
    I don't think the optical drive is the issue. There are light 12 in notebooks that have DVD RWs... like this Sony:

http://www.dynamism.com/tz90/main.shtml

2.2lbs!
  • Reply 134 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

I don't think the optical drive is the issue. There are light 12 in notebooks that have DVD RWs... like this Sony:

2.2lbs!

You didn't read that correctly.

It's an 11.1" screen, not 12".

2.26 pounds WITHOUT standard battery.

Quote:

With so much power and gadgetry, you will be pleased to learn that the unit weighs only 2.26 pounds (1025g) and measures 10.9 x 7.8 x 0.88 inches (277 x 198 x 22.5mm). It is less than 1 inch thick with the light-weight battery! Even the size of the AC adapter has been reduced to 1.4 x 3.3 x 0.9 (36 x 83x 22.5mm).

Three battery options include the lightweight battery 6-hour (3-hour real world), standard battery 12-hour (6-hour real world), and enhanced battery 18-hour (9-hour real world). With the optional standard battery, the thickness is 29.8mm (1.17") and it adds 135g (0.29 lbs). With the optional enhanced battery, the thickness is 42.5mm (1.67") and it adds 290g (0.63 lbs) .

With the 6 hour battery, add another .29 pounds.

Better battery, more weight and size.
  • Reply 135 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

2.2lbs!

the keyboard looks like MacBook keyboard or something wrong with me?
  • Reply 136 of 176
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

When I need to do those things I'd be happy to dig up the external disk drive that would surely come with an ultraportable. Like I said: OS install, one DVD rip in three months. That's my normal pace of optical drive use, and this is my only machine. If I had an ultraportable instead of an Macbook, I'd surely have a desktop in addition.

Only software I even have that comes on a disk is OS X, iLife, and WoW. The rest is off the net. Remember OS X can transfer your old apps through Firewire while installling, and remember that you can make disk images so as long as there's enough storage you don't need to insert the same disk twice.

I have burned some disks at work because security mandated physically separate networks. But at home, there's no such limitation. Why touch optical disks when you don't have to?
  • Reply 137 of 176
    No one really seems to know whether the rumoured new black/ silver machines are simply new MacBooks are the MacBookPro Nano. To be honest, it doesn't matter.

The current crop of MacBooks are excellent. While they have certainly benefitted from faster processors, the only other way to improve them is to take the same basic form factor and reduce it. So, I'd like to see something with the same amount of screen real estate, albeit an LED 13.3" screen, and DVD drive but in a slightly thinner and lighter package. The existing Sony SZ-series more or less fits the bill. Very thin and very light, it now even comes with flash memory modules.

Who needs a super-slim model with a small screen and no DVD drive when you can already get such a machine made by Apple? it's called an iPhone.
  • Reply 138 of 176
    I remember an Apple laptop that came with a docking station. I wonder if this would work here. You have an ultra portable that plugs into a dock that has a hard drive and CD/dvd.

You could even get a mini cd for the road. It would allow for a bunch of acc. and yet still make for an untra portable.

Just a thought.

en
  • Reply 139 of 176
    Perhaps this line will take over for the macbooks, hence the minor update of the macbooks we seen in the last update. I was too lazy to go through all the previous pages to see if someone has mentioned this yet.
  • Reply 140 of 176
    I would love a device like this.