Thanks AOL for AIM

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This is a thread for anyone and everyone tht uses AOL IM under OS X to give a thanks to them for giving us such support. I've been using (testing) 6C115 for about 2 weeks and having to use AIM without away messages was kinda stinky, but I did because the current version of iChat is so annoying. This is just something so we can email the programmers a link of this thread and show them how many peopel appreciate them. So I'll start...

Thanks, I don't like ads, but it's a small price to pay for the features and amount that I use this software! Keep up the good work!

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: ast3r3x ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    The new AIM upgrade is great way better AIM.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I love iChat. AIM be goopy.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    aim has worked great for me and my kids...but hoping to try iChat this weekend...will use whichever seems to work best....g
  • Reply 4 of 14
    tooltool Posts: 242member
    iChat rules over AIM!
  • Reply 5 of 14
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    <a href="http://www.adiumx.com"; target="_blank">Adium</a> owns all of you.

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: agent302 ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 14
    AOL- The talk feature was in the OS 9 version of AIM, so why can't we have it in the OS X version?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    AOL - why is it that you *still* can't get proper antialiased text in the message box? It's everywhere else, just not where it's most important!!
  • Reply 8 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    No no, this isn't about ur negative opinion, its about ur positive opinion about AIM...note the 'thanks to AOL...' not what I think is bad about AIM. I never used voice messaging in 9, and i dont need it in ten. I am happy with everything as of now with the update. This is to be as a nice jesture to the nice programmers for keeping AOL so well up to date with OS X. Something they have never done before.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by TOOL:

<strong>iChat rules over AIM!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wish this wasn't the case, but AIM is MUCh better than iChat right now.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Here are my comments on AIM:

-You cannot resize the text input thing to anything lower than around 3 lines high.

-The bar at the top is a gigantic waste of space. The buddy icon should be put back at the bottom. At the top, the person's screen name should be taken out (since it is already in the name of the window) and the last message and blinking IM thing left there, making the top space only a few pixels high. Also, instead of the blinking IM icon, take a que from Proteus, and make a single icon that shows that you have a new message, a buddy is typing, or nothing.

-User interface screams carbon. Give up on Mac OS 9 compatability, let them have 4.3. Use toolbars, and for the Online/Offline/Setup, use that nice, alternative to tabs button widget.

\t-The icons are great, but they look horrid in

\tthose square buttons. What would be cool is

\tto have a toolbar that changes in accordance

\tto what the little selector is on (Online,

\tOffline, Setup.)

\t-WRT To the message window, use toolbars \tand

\tfor the buttons in the middle bar, use

'buttonless' buttons.

\t-Omniweb style preferences instead of the\tcurrent method.

-The blinking green orb is cool, but Proteus makes use of the same little red badge thing that mail does to show the current messages waiting, much more useful. And for god's sake, when I click on the freaking window with the message, MAKE THE DAMN THING STOP BLINKING! It's a waste of time to click that damn thing off.

+Stock Ticker in window scrolls smoothly, much better than OS 9.

+Feature set is rather complete.

+Arrange IM windows feature is cool, though not as bad-ass as tabbed messaging ala Adium.

+No ad at the bottom, unlike earlier versions.

+No longer have to use HTML to use color and font in away/idle messages.

+No longer have to do an IM Image connect to see if the other person is typing.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I heard that iChat doesn't let you see the names of people you're chatting with in a buddy chat. That alone is enough to make me use AOL Instant Messenger, because I spend a lot of time in buddy chats (not community chats). I don't like the ugly non-antialiased text, but I'll live with it. And I think AIM has a more intuitive interface than either Adium (previous favorite) or iChat. I do like Adium's tab feature so you don't have windows cluttering everything up, but it's difficult to block, ignore, or add people to your buddy list.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    tooltool Posts: 242member
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

I heard that iChat doesn't let you see the names of people you're chatting with in a buddy chat.

And I think AIM has a more intuitive interface than either Adium (previous favorite) or iChat. I do like Adium's tab feature so you don't have windows cluttering everything up, but it's difficult to block, ignore, or add people to your buddy list.<hr></blockquote>

Putting someone's name in buddychat is an option..it can be done by going up through one of the menu options.

iChat is so intuitive...drag and drop a name onto your buddy list to add them! Drag them off to take them off. I am not sure about block/ignore as I didn't have to do that with anyone. And transfering files...wow..so easy in iChat..drag it to the window and hit enter....how hard is that? AIM? oh, yeah, you have to go up under People, choose send file, find the file, then hit enter. Soo easy

Wanna change the icon you are using? simple..drag any .jpg file up to the top and boom! Done!

Eman, what is it that you don't like?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Adium is the best IMO, but I haven't used iChat yet.

I love how you can fit all of your conversations into a single window. Its all very functional and minimal.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

<strong>

+No longer have to do an IM Image connect to see if the other person is typing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Now if the other person has the latest AIM version (either Windows or Mac) it tells you if they're typing without being directly connected.