Touch screen on new macs

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
after owning the itouch, i must say, the touch screen interface is amazing. With Apple having made giant leaps in this area, they could make an awesome computer with touch screen.

i would love to see a touch screen computer somewhere soon down the line

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cato988 View Post

after owning the itouch, i must say, the touch screen interface is amazing. With Apple having made giant leaps in this area, they could make an awesome computer with touch screen.

i would love to see a touch screen computer somewhere soon down the line

it would be interesting if the new imac already has this and is just waiting to be unlocked with leopard.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

after owning the itouch, i must say, the touch screen interface is amazing.

It might be amazing in a small hand-held device but there's no need for it when you have a keyboard and mouse. If Apple made a tablet Mac, which I doubt they will do, it would need a touch screen. I'd expect the iPod touch to eventually evolve into a full-fledged Mac instead.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

it would be interesting if the new imac already has this and is just waiting to be unlocked with leopard.

Touch the four corners of your iMac screen for 30 seconds, now imagine doing that for several hours. Interesting? More like a pain in the arm.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

It might be amazing in a small hand-held device but there's no need for it when you have a keyboard and mouse. If Apple made a tablet Mac, which I doubt they will do, it would need a touch screen. I'd expect the iPod touch to eventually evolve into a full-fledged Mac instead.

Apple will make a multi-touch tablet in the next three years, I'm practically convinced of that. How would the big tablet touch-screen Mac UI look though? That's the question. And if you wanted to do some serious non-typing work on it, but didn't want to carry a mouse, would Apple bundle a special stylus for very precise work? You'd use your fingers for most things, but when you want yo select a color from a color-palette wouldn't your fingers be too big? All these questions are pretty much unanswered at this point.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    pretty soon our computers will be connected to our minds and we will just control them with thoughs
  • Reply 6 of 14
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

pretty soon our computers will be connected to our minds and we will just control them with thoughs

Do you mean like many people's cell phones are connected to their heads?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple will make a multi-touch tablet in the next three years, I'm practically convinced of that.

Only practically convinced of that, Ireland? I tend to believe that unless they have an all touch interface they will always have to have a keyboard attached (like those convertible laptop/tablets whose screen spins and folds down). I am a little leery of the stylus and I believe that Jobs is as well. How do you see it working?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Nice one!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

no, i mean like the computer chip in Veselin Topalov's head

lets see how many people know what I'm talking about
  • Reply 10 of 14
    if im not mistaken, apple for the past months patented a hand motion dictionary which helps the machine to understand our hand gesture and apply it on the computer. I believe maybe they are planning to use motion sensing in the future Mac's? It would be soo cool if apple is the first company to produce Minority Report computer like
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Not sure Apple needs a touchscreen on any full-featured portable computer other then a true tablet.

We use Panasonic Toughbooks at work and they have very nice touchscreens, however they're used to display GIS information so there are many icons and things one needs to click and a touchscreen makes it easier.

For day-to-day work, it is much easier to use the keyboard and trackpad.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Touch the four corners of your iMac screen for 30 seconds, now imagine doing that for several hours. Interesting? More like a pain in the arm.

No kidding. That is why there is a keyboard and mouse. And I don't have an iMac.

for a laptop, the touchpad area would be used.

or

for both laptops and desktops, the screen would be detachable and used like a tablet. But I hope this doesn't happen, because the more moving parts will mean more broken macs.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    For a monitor sitting on your desk, nobody is going to want to use a keyboard on it but touching an icon to open something (folder, app) or dragging something is perfectly reasonable, ideal, and freakin' cool! I hate using a mouse or glide pad. That being said, the multi-touch opens up a fantastic opportunity for apple to create a touch keyboard, completely flat with a slight rise that appears at OS boot time. Think of the possibility!!! A section for user-defined keys, not the ancient f keys, I'm talking whatever you want keys! Scrolling down your user defined keys just like you do on iPhone. I long for the day!!! A multi-touch keyboard for the keyboard work and a touch screen for the other stuff. That would make one smokin' hot PC.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

no, i mean like the computer chip in Veselin Topalov's head

lets see how many people know what I'm talking about

think i heard of him from one of the chess team kids..