Safari a focus of Apple's latest Mac OS X 10.4.11 build

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Inc. is applying some last minute tweaks to a version of the Safari web browser expected to ship next month as part of the company's final maintenance and security update to the Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger operating system.

Two new builds of the impending Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update were distributed to Cupertino-based firm's vast developer community on Tuesday evening -- build 8S2157 for Macs with Intel processors and build 8S157 for those systems that include PowerPC chips.

People familiar with the releases say each build includes a small fix for Safari's localization support, while the Intel build also addresses an issue with the power management of some Intel-based Macs. The new fixes bring the total number of code corrections in the Mac OS X 10.4.11 update to nearly four dozen.

In providing its developer community with the new pre-releases, Apple reportedly asked that testers help evaluate a handful of areas including Safari, PCI Express cards, FireWire devices and USB audio devices. The company also informed developers to keep a lookout for one minor glitch involving Safari's address bar, which has apparently experienced some re-draw issues in recent builds.

Like the inaugural release of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, Mac OS X 10.4.11 is widely expected for a release sometime during the month of October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    Good because I'm fed up of it crashing.

The only reason I haven't switched to Firefox is because I don't like the way it does RSS compared to Safari.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    It is starting to sound like 10.4.11 is mostly just a roll-up of the latest driver and hotfix releases for 10.4.10. But then, with Leopard expected to debut so closely after (a matter of weeks), I can only assume 10.4.11 is meant for folks not intending to go to Leopard on Launch Day and want an updated release of the last release of Tiger for re-installs or new-installs for sites not moving to Leopard immediately.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    Leopard on launch day? Are you sure all your apps are going to work? Seems risky to me. I would wait for a bunch of reviews before upgrading. Everything is working good for me now.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mitch1984 View Post

I couldn't agree more. Safari on my new iMac crashes almost every time it opens.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    I run Safari 3, and while it doesn't crash it, I can't let it sit open for more than 8 hours without the damn thing taking forever to do simple tasks like register type in the address bar. After I quit and reopen it's OK, but still. Something as simple as keeping up with input commands should not be an issue with my $3k superfast computer
  • Reply 6 of 52
    I hope that the power management fix will help my MacBook Pro to auto-sleep, since now I find either it won't alway sleep whe I close the lid or it won't sleep after the allocated 15 minutes.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    Which Safari? Version 2 or 3?
  • Reply 8 of 52
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Experiment_626 View Post

It is starting to sound like 10.4.11 is mostly just a roll-up of the latest driver and hotfix releases for 10.4.10. But then, with Leopard expected to debut so closely after (a matter of weeks), I can only assume 10.4.11 is meant for folks not intending to go to Leopard on Launch Day and want an updated release of the last release of Tiger for re-installs or new-installs for sites not moving to Leopard immediately.

Yep, I agree. Security updates only from then on.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    Does anyone know if they have addressed rich text editor support? Still doesnt work in anything i've seen. I remember reading somewhere they would address this, but still no luck.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Thank god, safari really need some work, I'm sick to death of that shit crashing, but it starts up so quick and feels so light so I haven't stopped using it.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Safari doesn't really crash for me, but what it does do that's annoying is that it seems to grab more and more memory the more you browse, and never lets it go. At some point you start hitting the disk, and then everything gets real sloooooow.

Safari is great when you first open it, then seems to suffer from a major case of 'bad manners'.

• Reply 12 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Thank god, safari really need some work, I'm sick to death of that shit crashing, but it starts up so quick and feels so light so I haven't stopped using it.

Which version of Safari do you have? I've been using Safari 3.0.3 Beta for over a month and I don't remember it crashing.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

The only reason I haven't switched to Firefox is because I don't like the way it does RSS compared to Safari.

Safari crashes a lot for me as well.

I went and downloaded it for re-install. When I finished, I noticed I lost the ability to resize the "reply" windows. I wonder if Apple even has the latest version on their site. I don't remember the buikd number.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Quote:

I switched to Firefox about 6 months ago after a lot of frustration with Safari. For instance, to display for a certain GIF image, Safari uses 20% of the CPU, while Firefox uses 10%. By the way, I have a MacBook, and I don't know if it's because of the missing dedicated video card that they have to use a lot of CPU power. Safari crashes. Safari doesn't have a "New Tab" button, which I don't really understand why Apple is being such a stubborn! And, one of my favorite feature is Firefox's RSS!
  • Reply 15 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Safari doesn't really crash for me, but what it does do that's annoying is that it seems to grab more and more memory the more you browse, and never lets it go. At some point you start hitting the disk, and then everything gets real sloooooow.

Safari is great when you first open it, then seems to suffer from a major case of 'bad manners'.

I mentioned that a while ago, after 10.4 came out, and was lambased for saying it. Several people had claimed that Apple fixed the problem, but, of course, they didn't.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Hmmm, I had forgot about installing Safari 3. I guess it must be doing it's job if I don't even remember that i'm using a beta. I don't doubt that it crashes for others, but for me it is stable.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I mentioned that a while ago, after 10.4 came out, and was lambasted for saying it. Several people had claimed that Apple fixed the problem, but, of course, they didn't.

People like that can, frankly, suck it. There seems to be an unfortunate competition among some in the Apple community to see who can be the bigger Apple sycophant. This does neither Apple nor themselves any favors.

After all, a company improves through constructive (and accurate) criticism, not through blind, fawning 'yes man'-ship. Even the idiot Wintroll Zealots hardly come around anymore, making the need for Apple zealotry in response even less.

• Reply 18 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post

Which version of Safari do you have? I've been using Safari 3.0.3 Beta for over a month and I don't remember it crashing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Hmmm, I had forgot about installing Safari 3. I guess it must be doing it's job if I don't even remember that i'm using a beta. I don't doubt that it crashes for others, but for me it is stable.

I'm with you two. I haven't had any issues with Safari 3 and enjoy the added features over Safari 2. I am using Leopard so I guess I should be experiencing more issues but I've been stable since I starting using Leopard's Safari, which was before the Tiger/Windows versions were released.I have a laundry list of issues with Leopard but nothing with Safari.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    I gave up on Safari in version 2. Crashed a little too much for me and lacked tabbed browsing. I will give version 3 a try but if it's not more stable than version 2, I'll be back to Camino.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Crashes like crazy in Leopard. At least 10 times more than in Tiger (2.x).