Apple updates iLife '08 apps, iMovie gains new features

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple Inc. on Wednesday afternoon posted to its website software updates for nearly all of its iLife '08 applications, the most significant of which adds a handful of more powerful editing features to much criticized iMovie 7.0 overhaul.

iLife Support 8.1

In order to install any of the individual application updates, users will first need to down iLife Support 8.1 [7MB], which supports system software components shared by all iLife '08 applications, improves overall stability, addresses a number of other minor issues, and supports general compatibility issues.

iMovie 7.1

iMovie 7.1 [44.6MB] addresses several areas including video and audio editing capabilities, and performance associated with opening and switching iMovie Events and Projects. In addition, the update also supports general compatibility issues, improves overall stability, and addresses a number of other minor issues.

Among the new features delivered with the release is Multiple Clip Selection, which lets users select multiple clips in order to assign keywords, paste adjustments or reorganize clips in projects more quickly than before. Similarly, a Fine Tuning feature allows users to quickly refine the start or end frame for any clip without leaving the Project view.

iMovie 7.1 also introduces Still Frame Creation, which freezes the video action for creating a dramatic ending or applying the “Ken Burns” effect on any frame of a video clip.

Other features delivered in the release include Frame-by-Frame trimming, Audio Ducking level control, Manual Audio Fades, a duration settings for Transitions and Stills, an option to show the current playhead time, and other performance improvements that allow users to enjoy their video more quickly by switching between Events.

iPhoto 7.1

iPhoto 7.1 [59.3MB] addresses issues encountered when moving photos between Events, and adds new greeting card themes including holiday card designs. It also supports general compatibility issues, improves overall stability, and addresses a number of other minor issues.

iDVD 7.0.1

iDVD 7.0.1 [18.6MB] improves overall stability, supports general compatibility issues, and addresses a number of other minor issues.

GarageBand 4.1

GarageBand 4.1 [46.1MB] addresses isolated graphic display issues, compatibility with 3rd party audio software, fixes minor problems with Magic GarageBand, and supports general compatibility issues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    They are adding functionality to iMovie 08 as it was said they would.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    That "iLife Support 8.1" looks kind of interesting... I wonder if the original rumors that iLife '08 would be Leopard-only were actually true, and this module is just a little core API bundle of Leopard functionality since the OS wasn't ready in time for the software? Just curious.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Following on from booga's post, I am running leopard and did software update . interestingly enough it did not come up with ilife support 8.1, just the updates to idvd, garageband, iphoto, and imovie so im guessing that the update is already in leopard ( or the apps were written for leopard ad needed an api as discussed by booga)

Regards all applers

Me
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Just installed. Things seem fine.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

That "iLife Support 8.1" looks kind of interesting... I wonder if the original rumors that iLife '08 would be Leopard-only were actually true, and this module is just a little core API bundle of Leopard functionality since the OS wasn't ready in time for the software? Just curious.

Someone on MacRumors.com said that it does work with the latest Leopard build. GM is near.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Either that, or it's the Apocalypse.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Either that, or it's the Apocalypse.

Applying Occam's razor, this would be the indication...
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

I not sure why would Apple make iLife Leopard only when it obviously works with 10.4. That is a lotta iLife software they wouldn't sell because so many people are working 10.4. Well maybe people needed motivation to upgrade Leopard.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Any other '06 users get the notification for this update? Just the iLife '08 general one, not any of the specifics. Seems weird since it shouldn't apply to me. Should I install it?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    I have the 8-Core Mac Pro and iMovie '08 is completely unusable due to a bug involving extremely low bitrate of the movies. I use a 1080i Sony HDR-HC1 and when trying to export the footage to Web Gallery the footage looks absolutely awful.

I've written Apple about this but they have yet to fix the bug. It'll be iMovieHD for me until they get around to fixing '08.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

I have the 8-Core Mac Pro and iMovie '08 is completely unusable due to a bug involving extremely low bitrate of the movies. I use a 1080i Sony HDR-HC1 and when trying to export the footage to Web Gallery the footage looks absolutely awful.

I've written Apple about this but they have yet to fix the bug. It'll be iMovieHD for me until they get around to fixing '08.

What the hell does your 8-Core have to do with the bitrate?
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What the hell does your 8-Core have to do with the bitrate?

Hell if I know. I do know that it doesn't work. When people try troubleshooting an issue they always ask what computer it's on first, so I mentioned it.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

They are adding functionality to iMovie 08 as it was said they would.

"They" didn't say they would. That was speculation on David Pogue's part that people somehow interpreted as a statement from Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

"They" didn't say they would. That was speculation on David Pogue's part that people somehow interpreted as a statement from Apple.

Could be speculation, none of us are in the position to ask Pogue if Apple directly him or not. Even if it was only speculation it turns out to be true.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    So is the elastic-band audio volume control back in iMovie?
  • Reply 16 of 23
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    iWork does not run well on my computer under 10.4 so I wonder if it was meant for leopard only too? Just a thought.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

I am not sure I could point all the blame on iMovie.

I have used iMovie in the past and almost now exclusively use FInal Cut Studio.

Computers are far from as powerful as yours (latest MacBook Pro 15" & PowerMac G5 dual core).

Used to have an HC1, now use FX7s (HDV) and the tapeless CX7 (AVCHD).

I made some stuff this weekend with iMovie 08 and watched it in full 1080i off a Mac mini hooked with a 46" Sharp (also 1080i) and it was nearly perfect...

It is all about settings. But if you have an oct-core machine and a pretty good camera, why are you using consumer level SW tools?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

You're being coy aren't you? You know, as I do, these updates are to tune iLife '08 for Leopard. I wonder why Apple can't just say so in the description... unless it makes it too obvious that Leopard is about to or has gone GM and it could adversely affect sales. Or it's simply the old 'Apple doesn't comment on unreleased products'. You can bet your bottom dollar that after the release of Leopard, it will state somewhere that these updates are needed or recommended for it.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    It is a VERY nice surprise that Apple went ahead and did this update. The new iMovie was killing me. I got a note for David Pogue recently and he said that the iMovie 2008 Manual will be out in October, so that is pretty cool. I am excited to see what functionality he can show us as i have been hard pressed to find much in iMovie 8.0 so far, maybe 8.1 added yesterday makes it a bit more easy to chew.

-Thunk Different.

• Reply 20 of 23
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Does the iMovie update support DVD chapter markers or timeline view?