Gateway hopes "One" will tempt would-be iMac buyers (photos)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 156
    Quote:

Only retarded people buy a computer which restricts you from replacing the hard drive in-house.

The hard drive is like the cell phone battery. Its going to take a long time before it fails. By that point most people will just buy a new one.

Quote:

By that kind of logic, Apple should have left out access to the memory slots too.

There is a far higher chance more memory will be added than a new hard drive.
  • Reply 22 of 156
    Looks nicer than an iMac IMHO.

The keyboard and mouse matches for one. I wonder if they gave it a stupid gloss screen though. Pity it's saddled with Windows.

If the max RAM is 3GB that kind of says it's pre-Santa Rosa too, which would be silly.
  • Reply 23 of 156
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Wow, that is a lot better looking than Gateway's previous attempts at all-in-ones. However, the price is poor. If you are a Windows user and want an all-in-one, you can get a much more powerful iMac and buy Windows XP for about the same total price as this Gateway.
  • Reply 24 of 156
    It's like a gold-plated turd. You can dress up the outside, but inside it's still pure Micros**t.
  • Reply 25 of 156
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

If the max RAM is 3GB that kind of says it's pre-Santa Rosa too

Unlikely given it comes with Intel's X3100 integrated graphics. Does the X3100 even work with Napa?
  • Reply 26 of 156
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    If you want to see an ugly all in one, check out Averatec's unit. This Gateway is far nicer looking.
  • Reply 27 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

wow, what a fugly piece of garbage. i hope it fails miserably.

Why? Don't you want Apple to have some competition in the AIO market, so that Apple will be have some pressure to improve their AIO and perhaps have a reason to lower prices?
  • Reply 28 of 156
    Silver with a black front - great idea! And plastic instead of real metal/glass? (Can't tell.)

Quite a large foot print compare to the iMac's floating zero footprint. (You can fit a lot of peripherals and papers under an iMac, with its flat foot.)

So if the Gateway is almost 4 inches thick, has a smaller screen than the smallest iMac, and STILL can't manage to fit the power supply internally... how did Apple manage to make theirs so thin?

But hey, it runs Windows and is made by a cheap brand using cheap parts (integrated graphics) despite costing more than a Mac And it has a slot load drive down a desktop level where the ejected disc will ram into speakers, backup drives, routers, books and cups of hot coffee.

Why, it costs about the same as a real Mac + Windows installed...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Why? Don't you want Apple to have some competition in the AIO market, so that Apple will be have some pressure to improve their AIO and perhaps have a reason to lower prices?

You mean like Apple just DID improve their AIO and lowered prices on the new model by hundreds of dollars?

The reason to want it to fail is because REAL competition should be original and good value, not an inferior knock-off. A failed attempt at an iMac provides no competition anyway.
  • Reply 29 of 156
    While the AppleInsider article mentions the USB, Firewire, and audio ports are on the power adapter, an Engadget photo clears shows them on the side of the unit. This is one of the design flaw in this system. Even without cords protruding out of those ports, their mere presence tarnishes the design aesthetic.
  • Reply 30 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

This is where it beats the iMac hands down.

Only retarded people buy a computer which restricts you from replacing the hard drive in-house.

There are serious privacy and security implications to leaving your hard drive for days on a reseller's counter. Especially if your computer is being used for online purchases, small business accounting or credit card processing. The Canadian Privacy Commissioner should caution people against buying the iMac. Maybe then Jobs will get a clue.

While the Gateway's screen is too small, it shouldn't take long for a larger version to become available. While I'm extremely partial to the Mac OS, I would (sadly) counsel friends and family to buy this machine before buying a current iMac.

So you would recommend a PC with lame Windows, viruses, bugs and all over a mac with OSX because just MAYBE you might need to replace the hard drive and because maybe someone might gain access to your privae information when they replace the hard drive?! I'm sorry but hands down THAT'S retarded!!!
  • Reply 31 of 156
    Quote:

I wonder if they gave it a stupid gloss screen though.

Yes it has a glossy glass screen and brushed aluminum back.

Quote:

AIO and perhaps have a reason to lower prices?

No Gateway's One will not force Apple to lower iMac prices any more than Gateways' laptops force Apple to lower its laptop prices.
  • Reply 32 of 156
    This is actually not half bad. It's attractive and minimalist and, aside from choice of colors (as if there's that much variation in minimalist design in the first place), stands well against the iMac. I'm all for attractive aesthetics outside of Apple. At least it shows a little competitive spirit.

I have to admit, I like the leaning-slate form. Kind of cool.
  • Reply 33 of 156
    Quote:

By that kind of logic, Apple should have left out access to the memory slots too.

Only your kind of warped logic. Memory slots and hard drives are two completely different things...
  • Reply 34 of 156
    With external drives being so cheap why bother with upgrading or replacing an internal one unless it is toast.

If it is toast then you don't have to worry too much about the privacy issues, just make sure you take the old drive with you when you leave.

Also, other than the readers of tech magazines, blogs... the average consumer doesn't actually crack the box at all and those that really want to will always figure it out.

Quote:

There are serious privacy and security implications to leaving your hard drive for days on a reseller's counter. Especially if your computer is being used for online purchases, small business accounting or credit card processing. The Canadian Privacy Commissioner should caution people against buying the iMac. Maybe then Jobs will get a clue.

While the Gateway's screen is too small, it shouldn't take long for a larger version to become available. While I'm extremely partial to the Mac OS, I would (sadly) counsel friends and family to buy this machine before buying a current iMac.

• Reply 35 of 156
    Gateway is obviously trying to copy Apple but the design fails in originality and erganomics.

Not everyone sits in front of a computer at the same height. Looking at the base I'm pretty sure everyone is going to be stuck with that same screen angle. I sure won't be trading in my iMac soon.
  • Reply 36 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Why would Apple have a reason to lower prices? The Gateway, on the whole, is more expensive (if slightly at some levels) than the iMac's price points, and 19" all the way up (the loaded model's at a similar price point to the 24" iMac... with more memory, yes, but a much smaller screen)

Competition == good. I'm not sure where it'll be good for Gateway, with those price points, though.
  • Reply 37 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

That might infringe on Apple's patent for a built-in camera. I'm sure Apple lawyers are looking into it.

You mean the USPTO actually granted a patent for putting a built-in camera on a computer? That is just ridiculous.
  • Reply 38 of 156
    haha, I remember when the old white iMacs came out and everyone was making fun of the "chin" I think this Gateway is the Jay Leno of computers.
  • Reply 39 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acknight View Post

Why would Apple have a reason to lower prices? The Gateway, on the whole, is more expensive (if slightly at some levels) than the iMac's price points, and 19" all the way up (the loaded model's at a similar price point to the 24" iMac... with more memory, yes, but a much smaller screen)

Competition == good. I'm not sure where it'll be good for Gateway, with those price points, though.

And with a slower processor and presumably--by virtue of the 3GB maximum--an order chip design. Apple's iMac prices have a much better price point.
  • Reply 40 of 156
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

While I'm extremely partial to the Mac OS, I would (sadly) counsel friends and family to buy this machine before buying a current iMac.

Oh right so you advise them to buy something running Windows? Hey, with friends like you they sure don't need enemies!