Gateway hopes "One" will tempt would-be iMac buyers (photos)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 156
    You have to give it to them though, completely wireless. No power cord. I wonder if it will take 20 "D" cell batteries. Makes me think of the movie "Do the right Thing" when the guy with the ghetto blaster is in the liquor store asking for batteries.

--

I am joking of course. so save your blasts.
  • Reply 42 of 156
    Quote:

"Dubbed simply the 'One,'

Probably should be called the "Last" - last chance for Gateway to sell something prior to closing.

"Head em up, move em out" - Rawhide moooooo
  • Reply 43 of 156
    That is by far the nicest looking Windows PC I have ever seen. It actually does have a "cool" factor.

It will be interesting to see what Dell or HP do to copy that.
  • Reply 44 of 156
    This reminds me of the DELL XPS 2010, a real stinker! What kind of creatures buy these over priced heaps of crap? Even if people MUST run Windows, they could get a better looking, better spec iMac AND buy a legit copy of Windows for the cost of one of those things.
  • Reply 45 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Silver with a black front - great idea! And plastic instead of real metal?

Quite a large foot print compare to the iMac's floating zero footprint. (You can fit a lot of peripherals and papers under an iMac, with its flat foot.)

So if the Gateway is almost 4 inches thick, has a smaller screen than the smallest iMac, and STILL can't manage to fit the power supply internally... how did Apple manage to make theirs so thin?

But hey, it runs Windows and is made by a cheap brand using cheap parts (integrated graphics) despite costing more than a Mac And it has a slot load drive down a desktop level where the ejected disc will ram into speakers, backup drives, routers, books and cups of hot coffee.

Why, it costs about the same as a real Mac + Windows installed...

You mean like Apple just DID improve their AIO and lowered prices on the new model by hundreds of dollars?

The reason to want it to fail is because REAL competition should be original and good value, not an inferior knock-off. A failed attempt at an iMac provides no competition anyway.

This is the most beautiful post I have ever seen. The End.
  • Reply 46 of 156
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Not totally hideous. The best part of it is that's it's not a two-tone look like the current iMac is.

But this does make one thing apparent...Apple can no longer rely on industrial design as it's key differentiator. Sure OS X is also better, but many see Vista as "close enough".
  • Reply 47 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

This is where it beats the iMac hands down.

Only retarded people buy a computer which restricts you from replacing the hard drive in-house.

There are serious privacy and security implications to leaving your hard drive for days on a reseller's counter. Especially if your computer is being used for online purchases, small business accounting or credit card processing. The Canadian Privacy Commissioner should caution people against buying the iMac. Maybe then Jobs will get a clue.

While the Gateway's screen is too small, it shouldn't take long for a larger version to become available. While I'm extremely partial to the Mac OS, I would (sadly) counsel friends and family to buy this machine before buying a current iMac.

If it is anything at all like all of their previous all-in-one devices the hard drive is not at all easy to get to, also, most consumers have user changable hard disks now, and they still take it somewhere for service so that argument isn't all that valid, mostly because there are lots of consumers out there now that think all hard disks come preloaded with the OS. (all I have to do is put the hard disk in and turn it on right?)

BTW the current model of the iMac is actually easier to work on that the previous model, everything is serviced behind the screen, take the glass out, 4 screws and the screen is out, hard disk is directly under that. I'd much rather work on the current iMac than the previous iMac.

Apple offers on site service with their AppleCare, if you don't want the computer sitting in a store on a counter, have them come fix it, (Not that technicians have extra time to go through all your personal files anyway. Vista keeps us busy these days)
  • Reply 48 of 156

Anyone else notice the vaguely 'last-gen iPod-ish' styling? \

Gateway is kinda pathetic... I still remember their all-in-one computer commercials from a few years back, where the Gateway AIO raspberries an iMac. If they want to be Apple so very desperately, they should just have their CEO start wearing black mock turtlenecks and using the phrase "It's so cool" a lot.

• Reply 49 of 156
    Quote:

Only retarded people buy a computer which restricts you from replacing the hard drive in-house.

I think their target audience for an iMac would not replace a drive even if they had access to do it. I don't think that makes them retarded as you say.

Quote:

There are serious privacy and security implications to leaving your hard drive for days on a reseller's counter. Especially if your computer is being used for online purchases, small business accounting or credit card processing. The Canadian Privacy Commissioner should caution people against buying the iMac. Maybe then Jobs will get a clue.

I understand your issue with not being able to replace the hard yourself. Though, I think your concerns are a little off. The demographic of an iMac user is of a person who is not going to change their own hard drive regardless of reason. Most non pro users when faced with dwindling storage space, they buy an external drive. Therefore the most likely reason for replacing a drive in an iMac would be due to drive failure in which case that same user will most likely take it to a pro for at the very least confirmation of its expiration and to replace it. Most users like this will not trust their own opinion to just replace the drive. They will first want a pro to save the data and then replace it. In any case, they are taking it to a shop and leaving it. Doesn't matter if they could do it themselves or not. I think Apple knows this when making their decisions.
  • Reply 50 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

But this does make one thing apparent...Apple can no longer rely on industrial design as it's key differentiator. Sure OS X is also better, but many see Vista as "close enough".

This makes nothing apparent about relying on industrial design: that Gateway has TERRIBLE industrial design. Optical drive that ejects into stuff on the desk, cables all sticking out of the side (!), external power supply (all-in-two?), no good place for speakers (are they external too?), smaller screen yet taking up far more desk space--and is that a plastic front or real glass? Does it have any tilt adjust?

As for "many" seeing Vista as close enough... "many" needs some clarification before Apple needs to worry. Since Macs are selling faster and faster, while Windows users are clamoring for XP instead of Vista, I think the situation is under control
  • Reply 51 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Unlikely given it comes with Intel's X3100 integrated graphics. Does the X3100 even work with Napa?

Apparently not. Odd that they've limited it to 3GB though. Or is that a Windows limitation, not the chipset?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Yes it has a glossy glass screen and brushed aluminum back.

Oh well, that's two AIO computers I'm not buying. I played with a new iMac today in the Apple Store in Manchester today for the first time. Can't stand it. Then went and haggled with the poor saps in MicroAnvika to get them to reduce the price further on the old iMacs they still had but they weren't budging as much as I'd like.

It'll have to be a MacBook Pro next for the simple purpose of avoiding the gloss. I'm quite saddened by being forced to buy a laptop I don't need.

How can people use that kind of shit display? I could see every overhead light, myself reflected in the screen (not pretty!) and everyone walking behind me. Unbearable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Not totally hideous. The best part of it is that's it's not a two-tone look like the current iMac is.

Four tone to be more precise. You forgot the hideous white/silver keyboard and the white/grey mouse. Then of course you've a mix of gloss and matt.
  • Reply 52 of 156
    Quote:

The only reason to replace the hard drive is if it goes bad. The standard drive is HUGE, not to mention the ability to upgrade it when you order. Plus, what stops anyone from buying an external HD to supplement the internal?
  • Reply 53 of 156
    "Gateway hopes "One" will tempt would-be iMac buyers" is like saying Hyundai hopes its new car will attract Mercedes-Benz buyers because it also has airbags and ABS brakes.
  • Reply 54 of 156
    http://www.systemshootouts.org/shoot...27_dt1300.html

Since the iMac starts at $1,199, I upgraded it with wireless mouse, wireless keyboard and 320 GB hard drive for an even $100 to bring them as close as possible at the same price point.
  • Reply 55 of 156
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    There is something disturbing, almost obscenely embarrassing, about seeing a grand old ship - one who formerly saw days of splendor and admiration - be reduced to taking on passengers for theme rides, despite the fact that its cruise circuit takes it ever closer to the perilous edge of a niagara of destruction.

One would imagine the roar of the falls alone would cause someone to say "YIKES!! We have to ...(fill in the blank to your liking)."

I remember sitting in another country, seeing an advertisement years ago for this manufacturer, and remarking "How cool! This American company has boxes that look like cowsides."
  • Reply 56 of 156
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

The only reason to replace the hard drive is if it goes bad. The standard drive is HUGE, not to mention the ability to upgrade it when you order. Plus, what stops anyone from buying an external HD to supplement the internal?

Adding an external HD is limited by the fact that the iMac lacks Firewire 800.

Wait, never mind... the Gateway is the one that lacks Firewire 800.
  • Reply 57 of 156
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Gateway is kinda pathetic... I still remember their all-in-one computer commercials from a few years back, where the Gateway AIO raspberries an iMac. If they want to be Apple so very desperately, they should just have their CEO start wearing black mock turtlenecks and using the phrase "It's so cool" a lot.

Didn't they also have a commercial where their CEO was dating

a cow? I guess people have different ideas about what is a cool CEO
  • Reply 58 of 156
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    Edit: Har har... never mind.

To completely change the post: I really don't get the Gateway design. Is it tilt adjustable? How low of a desk would you have to be sitting at for the viewing angle to be right? Also, why would they cheap out on the screen? That's the worst thing they could do when making an all-in-one.
  • Reply 59 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's like a gold-plated turd. You can dress up the outside, but inside it's still pure Micros**t.

And I'll just get my copy of Bioshock for .... oh wait - never mind.

And thanks Apple for crappy laptop video so I can't even run the fucking game in parallels or bootcamp. But hey - it's 1500 for the BLACK! Can't run shit for games - but it's BLACK.

Oh I can also play photoshop. Whee.
  • Reply 60 of 156
    Looks OK, but I'm not going to pay that Gateway premium!!!