Apple iPhone update 1.1.1 offers louder volume, adds iTunes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

Even without the iPhone connected, iTunes refuses to boot up properly. It hangs for 5 minutes and then repeatedly gives me the error 11333 message. When it finally does stop doing this, it does function as long as I don't click the iTunes Store button.

Tried reinstalling iTunes, but this fixed nothing.
  • Reply 22 of 166
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:

iTunes refuses to boot up properly. It hangs for 5 minutes and then repeatedly gives me the error 11333 message.

Try creating a new user and run iTunes from there.
  • Reply 23 of 166
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    What OS are you using? I hate to suspect that this might be a Windows thing without evidence... You might also try uninstalling and removing any old directory entries (assuming you're using Windows) just in case things aren't altogether being cleaned up, and then re-install iTunes.
  • Reply 24 of 166
    Just noticed they added an 'Edit' mode to Mail so you can quickly delete multiple e-mails. This is something I was sorely missing.
  • Reply 25 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

What OS are you using? I hate to suspect that this might be a Windows thing without evidence... You might also try uninstalling and removing any old directory entries (assuming you're using Windows) just in case things aren't altogether being cleaned up, and then re-install iTunes.

On a Mac with latest 10.4.10. Not a Windows issue. My buddy just told me his iPhone updated no problem. He is however on a Windows machine.
  • Reply 26 of 166
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Couple of other things.

1) I lost my favorites list

2) I lost all my notes

That's bothersome, given that, last I heard, iTunes doesn't sync or save those things.
  • Reply 27 of 166
    Great update, I just wish that they would have put more time into things like cut & paste and having sites remember passwords rather than the itunes store.

Also, it forced my wife's stock phone into recovery mode, you might want to sync prior to updating to ensure you don't loose any data.
  • Reply 28 of 166
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I'm bummed. I was really hoping there would be a Task app introduced with this release. My Treo 650 lives to see another day... \
  • Reply 29 of 166
    Quote:

Just noticed they added an 'Edit' mode to Mail so you can quickly delete multiple e-mails. This is something I was sorely missing.

I don't see a difference with mail editing options..are you sure ?
  • Reply 30 of 166
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Downloading it now - shows as 152 MB

152 MB and this is all we get???

There better be a lot of undocumented fixes and upgrades in this release.

dave
  • Reply 31 of 166
    I don't have an AT&T sim card and now I can not even access anymore itunes with the iphone.

Thanks for any help
  • Reply 32 of 166
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

152 MB and this is all we get???

There better be a lot of undocumented fixes and upgrades in this release.

dave

just the leopard stuff that magically appears on 10/05.
  • Reply 33 of 166
    OK, last update I had to do a restore first before the upgrade would work. After I finally got the previous update installed, I reinstalled my custom icons. Since all I had hacked was the icons, and I re-jailed afterwards, I decided to see if the latest update would work. It worked perfectly. I was beginning to get a bit worried, as has been posted already, this update takes a LONG time. Finally, the iphone rebooted, told me is was activating and other than I lost my custom icons, I did NOT loose a single email (3 accts) or any of my notes. Maybe the gods at Apple decided to smile down on me, but regardless, I am a happy camper. I will attempt the jailbreak hack later as I really like my custom icons a LOT better than the stock ones.

david
  • Reply 34 of 166
    Just spoke with Apple and they were able to fix my problem. Go to Applications>Utilities>Keychain Access, then select the preferences for Keychain Access, go to the certificates panel, make sure both pull downs are set to "Off". Then close this dialog, and then from the Keychain Access menu item, right below the preferences, select "Keychain First Aid". Select the radio button for "Repair" and click the Start button. After the repair, close and now try accessing the iTunes store. This completely fixed everything and now the iPhone is Activated and all is back to normal. Wheeeew!
  • Reply 35 of 166
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Frankly I expected more.

I see some of you have lost notes and such. The thing with that is that Apple could solve this problem in a couple of ways. One would be to allow disk mode usb connections where backups could be dirt simple. The other would be an on board file manager that would allow you to collect and mange you files on the iPhone. Now for those on this forum that got an indication of a firmware update, has Apple wised up and given us a disk mode yet?

I know this is my perspective but I can't see my self going for an iPhone if I can't in some manner manage the data files and to some extent event the apps on the device. It is otherwise nice to see that at least a few things have been addressed but I'm still perplexed but the updates size and the minimal number of enhancements.

Dave
  • Reply 36 of 166
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

Stocks and cities in Stocks and Weather can be re-ordered

Sweet, I requested this in feedback. I imagine many other people did too in order for Apple to add it.

I had some other stock ticker program requests but those probably got passed over.

Hopefully they add this feature to their Mac widgets too.
  • Reply 37 of 166
    Quote:

Couple of other things.

1) I lost my favorites list

2) I lost all my notes

What do you mean by "favorites list"?
  • Reply 38 of 166
    This is one $%#%&^&^ crappy software update from Apple.

It gave me two sets of error messages the first two times (#13XY and #16XY -- didn't write down the numbers), showed me a triangle with a "!" on the iPhone the third time (with a note saying "Please Connect to iTunes" when the darn thing was already connected to iTunes), and after uplugging and replugging again, it gave me no other option but to "restore and update" the on the fourth try.

Right now, it's saying "Restoring iPhone Firmware" (has been doing that for about 10 minutes)........ Wait, it is now restoring my "iPhone from Backup.".......

And I have nothing but Apple-approved software and updates and ringtones (or anything-else) on my phone!

This is not good. Actually, it is pathetic, Apple!

My advice: Wait a couple of days before you update!!!!!

Add: So far, everything -- incl. my notes -- are still there.
  • Reply 39 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Frankly I expected more.

I see some of you have lost notes and such. The thing with that is that Apple could solve this problem in a couple of ways. One would be to allow disk mode usb connections where backups could be dirt simple. The other would be an on board file manager that would allow you to collect and mange you files on the iPhone. Now for those on this forum that got an indication of a firmware update, has Apple wised up and given us a disk mode yet?

I know this is my perspective but I can't see my self going for an iPhone if I can't in some manner manage the data files and to some extent event the apps on the device. It is otherwise nice to see that at least a few things have been addressed but I'm still perplexed but the updates size and the minimal number of enhancements.

Dave

it's a friggin' phone not a pda; can't be everything to everybody. It's a great phone by the way.
  • Reply 40 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

Just spoke with Apple and they were able to fix my problem. Go to Applications>Utilities>Keychain Access, then select the preferences for Keychain Access, go to the certificates panel, make sure both pull downs are set to "Off". Then close this dialog, and then from the Keychain Access menu item, right below the preferences, select "Keychain First Aid". Select the radio button for "Repair" and click the Start button. After the repair, close and now try accessing the iTunes store. This completely fixed everything and now the iPhone is Activated and all is back to normal. Wheeeew!

Wow, Redmond couldn't have made simpler!