Apple iPhone update 1.1.1 offers louder volume, adds iTunes

Comments

• Reply 41 of 166
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Apparently it bricks unlocked phones.

AppTapp doesn't work.

iToner no longer toners and all the toners you had are goners.
  • Reply 42 of 166
    Did anyone notice that they updated the calculator icon?
  • Reply 43 of 166
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
  • Reply 44 of 166
    Say it ain't so Cosmo!
  • Reply 45 of 166
    Still no SMS functionality (multiple recipients, delete single messages), no copy paste, no MMS app. , additional privacy features (delete single calls from recent calls list, etc), true Exchange push, any kind of calendar sync besides docking (google cal, exchange, etc), .. and a host of other features...

But Apple have screwed over anyone who might be enterprisng enough to provide me with such functionality by bricking phones that would be tempted to load their apps that actually might meet might needs they have ignored, and ae commonly met elsewhere.

..Instead Apple has also given me another opportunity to buy more shit off them. Sweet.

Oh Apple, you are Sooo cool. Thank ou Stevei, thank you. Thank you for listening.

Cue juvenile Apple pom pom waving geeks & fan boys. Tell us again how wonderful Apple is, what foresight Steve has and why we just can't appreciate how wonderful his phone is!

One thing I am proud of; I have persuaded 5 people I know of to NOT buy an iPhone (they went Nokia and HTC instead, and encouraged 3 kids who otherwise would have bought a Mac to go straight Windows laptop instead. I'll buy mu kids Windows.

This one switcher who is switching back!
  • Reply 46 of 166
    Screw this update! Tradeoff a dozen cool apps, tweaks, free ringtones and more for "itunes wifi music store and a 1db louder ring volume"? F that I will live in a 1.0.2 world forever then
  • Reply 47 of 166
    Someone please let me know if after the update you were able to use the apptap aplication if it erased it were you able to reinstall it ..... please let me know before i continue with my update
  • Reply 48 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jelvas View Post

Someone please let me know if after the update you were able to use the apptap aplication if it erased it were you able to reinstall it ..... please let me know before i continue with my update

It erases it and you cant re-install it apparently
  • Reply 49 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

One thing I am proud of; I have persuaded 5 people I know of to NOT buy an iPhone (they went Nokia and HTC instead, and encouraged 3 kids who otherwise would have bought a Mac to go straight Windows laptop instead. I'll buy mu kids Windows.

You really showed them this time! GRRRRRRRR....

• Reply 50 of 166
    While 1.1.1 doesn't have the international keyboard button shown in the London press event for the iPhone, it does have international characters you can use: Hold down some of the keys, like the A or E and some punctuation keys like the ? or ! keys to get the alternate language look of those characters.

Don't tell anybody, though, that when you go to the trouble of selecting the upsidedown exclamation point, what you get looks exactly the same as if you simply typed in a lowercase letter I ( like this: i )

And here's something I sent to David Pogue which he liked:

In the version 1.1.1 of iPhone there is a new feature which I find funny...

In Settings >> Safari >> Developer it explains that when set to On the "Debug Console will automatically appear to help resolve web page errors."

Emphasis mine, as in it will only appear to help.

• Reply 51 of 166
    so what all of you are sayin is n e of us gready hack installers should do is wait untill apptap has hacked into the new version..... then update??? thanx again you guys are great
  • Reply 52 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jelvas View Post

so what all of you are sayin is n e of us gready hack installers should do is wait untill apptap has hacked into the new version..... then update??? thanx again you guys are great

Right.. Let's just hope all the developers didn't just apply the update and lock themselves out of the OS
  • Reply 53 of 166
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Still no SMS functionality (multiple recipients, delete single messages), no copy paste, no MMS app. , additional privacy features (delete single calls from recent calls list, etc), true Exchange push, any kind of calendar sync besides docking (google cal, exchange, etc), .. and a host of other features...

But Apple have screwed over anyone who might be enterprisng enough to provide me with such functionality by bricking phones that would be tempted to load their apps that actually might meet might needs they have ignored, and ae commonly met elsewhere.

..Instead Apple has also given me another opportunity to buy more shit off them. Sweet.

Oh Apple, you are Sooo cool. Thank ou Stevei, thank you. Thank you for listening.

Cue juvenile Apple pom pom waving geeks & fan boys. Tell us again how wonderful Apple is, what foresight Steve has and why we just can't appreciate how wonderful his phone is!

This would be a little more impressive if your entire posting history here didn't consist of rants against the iPhone, belittling anyone who likes the iPhone as a mindless Apple fanboy, and generally hating on Apple.

You appear to be a kind of dick who bought a phone that clearly didn't meet his needs (most of which was easily discerned by doing 5 minutes of research) and now is going to endlessly bitch about it.

Sell the fucking thing, return to the warm embrace of Nokia or Sony or MS or whoever is schooling Apple at the moment, and enjoy your life.
  • Reply 54 of 166
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

This would be a little more impressive if your entire posting history here didn't consist of rants against the iPhone, belittling anyone who likes the iPhone as a mindless Apple fanboy, and generally hating on Apple.

You appear to be a kind of dick who bought a phone that clearly didn't meet his needs (most of which was easily discerned by doing 5 minutes of research) and now is going to endlessly bitch about it.

Sell the fucking thing, return to the warm embrace of Nokia or Sony or MS or whoever is schooling Apple at the moment, and enjoy your life.

Yup. Couldn't have said it any better.
  • Reply 55 of 166
    I've tried viewing my email attachments in landscape view and have not been able to do it, I'm just trying to view a picture by turning the phone to landscape, I've tried to double tap it and nothing happend. Am I doing something wrong??
  • Reply 56 of 166
    Quote:

Have fun, enjoy Windows. Bye.
  • Reply 57 of 166
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Oh , grow up . I agree with the previous poster that you should sell the damn thing and buy a phone that meets your requirements . Six months since it was introduced at MWSF to the time it was first sold at June 29 , almost everybody knows it's damn limitations . If you are stupid enough to buy the damn phone , then it's your damn fault not Apple .
  • Reply 58 of 166
    AppleInsider wrote:

New features include (MY RESTORE AND UPDATE EXPERIENCE IN CAPS)*:

iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store YES

Louder speakerphone and receiver volume CAN'T TELL ANY DIFFERENCE

Home Button double-click shortcut to phone favorites or music controls YES

Space bar double-tap shortcut to intelligently insert period and space WORKS (BUT ONLY IF IT COMES IMMEDIATELY AFTER A CHARACTER; I.E., NOT AFTER A SPACE)

Mail attachments are viewable in portrait and landscape WORKS BEAUTIFULLY!

Stocks and cities in Stocks and Weather can be re-ordered HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT HOW

Apple Bluetooth Headset battery status in the Status Bar N.A. (YET)

Support for TV Out HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT HOW

Preference to turn off EDGE/GPRS when roaming internationally HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT HOW

New Passcode lock time intervals NOT USED

Adjustable alert volume NOT USED

*"Haven't figured out how" means accessing this functionality was not obvious; have to check the iPhone website to figure out how, which is a bit unlike Apple......
  • Reply 59 of 166
    Just updated two iPhones. I think each took about 5 min. Smooth as silk. No probs here.
  • Reply 60 of 166
    No fair!

I flamed him first and Adda gets all the credit...