Powerbook new harddrive install

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I installed a new Seagate 160GB harddrive in my G4 PB. I booted up using Tiger CD and started the step by step process. When I get to the 'Select destination' section there is no drive to select?

Does this mean the drive is bad or am I missing something? I checked the cables and everything is good. I put the old 80GB Fujitsu back in and everything is working.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plasma View Post

Hi,

I installed a new Seagate 160GB harddrive in my G4 PB. I booted up using Tiger CD and started the step by step process. When I get to the 'Select destination' section there is no drive to select?

Does this mean the drive is bad or am I missing something? I checked the cables and everything is good. I put the old 80GB Fujitsu back in and everything is working.

Did you format the new hard drive?

I have a G4 466 Digital Audio and the largest hard drive my computer will recognize is a 120 GB. Not sure about your G4 PB.

Don't know if I helped any or if you already knew the info. I submitted.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    See if it shows up in Disk Utility. You can select that from the menu before starting the Installer when you are booted to the CD.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    yeah, lundy is right, its just that the disk drive has not been formatted yet, so it won't show up till you do that. disk utility can format the drive for you.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

See if it shows up in Disk Utility. You can select that from the menu before starting the Installer when you are booted to the CD.

Will give that a shot tonight...hope that works.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    That worked! Thanks lundy.

One a side note, does anyone know of a ide to firewire cable for the 2.5inch internal drive. I still want to use my 80GB Fujitsu.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    I think you are wanting an "enclosure" for it. There are many of them out there. I have not personally done that project, but I did do an external enclosure for a DVD-R and anyone can do it, especially someone who already swapped the hard drive on a PB.

Maybe other members have some specific brands or models of enclosures that they have had good results with.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    When I reboot or start the machine I get the finder icon with a question mark for 2 seconds then I get the apple logo and everthing is normal. Does anyone know why I get the ? finder icon?