Apple iPhone update 1.1.1 offers louder volume, adds iTunes

Comments

• Reply 61 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

Still no SMS functionality (multiple recipients, delete single messages), no copy paste, no MMS app. , additional privacy features (delete single calls from recent calls list, etc), true Exchange push, any kind of calendar sync besides docking (google cal, exchange, etc), .. and a host of other features...

But Apple have screwed over anyone who might be enterprisng enough to provide me with such functionality by bricking phones that would be tempted to load their apps that actually might meet might needs they have ignored, and ae commonly met elsewhere.

..Instead Apple has also given me another opportunity to buy more shit off them. Sweet.

Oh Apple, you are Sooo cool. Thank ou Stevei, thank you. Thank you for listening.

Cue juvenile Apple pom pom waving geeks & fan boys. Tell us again how wonderful Apple is, what foresight Steve has and why we just can't appreciate how wonderful his phone is!

One thing I am proud of; I have persuaded 5 people I know of to NOT buy an iPhone (they went Nokia and HTC instead, and encouraged 3 kids who otherwise would have bought a Mac to go straight Windows laptop instead. I'll buy mu kids Windows.

This one switcher who is switching back!

What a bunch of self-serving drivel. Those "5" people you convinced to buy other phones have been well served by your objectivity.
  • Reply 62 of 166
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Update was flawless took about 10 minutes on a Mac. Works great although the new iTunes previews sound really distorted through the iPhone speaker (too much gain, clipped etc.) at least the few I tried on the featured list did. I don't know what's up with that, but the regular iPod sounds just fine.
  • Reply 63 of 166
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

No fair!

I flamed him first and Adda gets all the credit...

Yeah, but I flamed him extravagently.
  • Reply 64 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felix E. Martinez View Post

Just updated two iPhones. I think each took about 5 min. Smooth as silk. No probs here.

Yeah, took me about the same length of time and no problems. It makes you wonder how so many people can have so many problems. Whatever ...seemed drop dead simple.

The only thing I had hoped for was to be able to use my outgoing corporate email server. The update added new features to Exchange Advanced settings like ports and such. I'll have to experiment. Can't wait for Leopard when To-Dos will also be able to sync.
  • Reply 65 of 166
    The longest part was waiting for the 152MB download over Cebridge/Suddenlink's "mediumspeed" internet.

I DID get the "Updating iPhone firmware..."

The actual update took less than 5 minutes.

Notes are all still there.

Favorites are still there.
  • Reply 66 of 166
    What a bunch of selfish whiners. This is a great device, and a great update. They are not going to give you the world all in one update. I'm surprised we have gotten as much as we have since this phone has been released. Have some patience. By the way, my update went perfectly -- and the enhancements are awesome. Especially the volume tweak and mobile iTunes is incredible.
  • Reply 67 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullrat View Post

Yeah, took me about the same length of time and no problems. It makes you wonder how so many people can have so many problems. Whatever ...seemed drop dead simple.

Please don't make stupidly arrogant comments that reflect your personal experience, and insinuate that people running into problems are somehow worthy of your inane 'wonder'ment.

Thanks!
  • Reply 68 of 166
    no problems with my update. It didn't erase my notes, or cause any other glitches.
  • Reply 69 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewMacMan View Post

What a bunch of selfish whiners.

Who exactly are you painting with that broad brush?!

Don't overgeneralize. It detracts from what you are trying to say. (It is quite possible that Apple fixed the problems thanks to all the comments about the lousy software update experiences chronicled here and in many other forums).
  • Reply 70 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Who exactly are you painting with that broad brush?!

Don't overgeneralize. It detracts from what you are trying to say. (It is quite possible that Apple fixed the problems thanks to all the comments about the lousy software update experiences chronicled here and in many other forums).

No offense to the non-whiners, but a lot of people are complaining that they didn't get all of their wish list items in this update. The things they gave us are awesome, and they aren't going to give it to us all at once. Like I said before, it's incredible that they have given us so many new things since the iPhone release. People should be grateful.
  • Reply 71 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ianjadams View Post

What do you mean by "favorites list"?

Favorites in the phone.
  • Reply 72 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

AppleInsider wrote:

New features include (MY RESTORE AND UPDATE EXPERIENCE IN CAPS)*:

Stocks and cities in Stocks and Weather can be re-ordered HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT HOW

Apple Bluetooth Headset battery status in the Status Bar N.A. (YET)

Support for TV Out HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT HOW

Preference to turn off EDGE/GPRS when roaming internationally HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT HOW

New Passcode lock time intervals NOT USED

Adjustable alert volume NOT USED

*"Haven't figured out how" means accessing this functionality was not obvious; have to check the iPhone website to figure out how, which is a bit unlike Apple......

It took me a while to figure some of these things out. When you open the Stocks and Weather apps, go to the little "i" at the bottom of the widgets. It will bring you to the your list. See the three lines on the right? Tap and drag, it moves it in a specific order.

Bluetooth Headset, don't have an Apple one.

TV OUT, go to Settings > iPod.

Turn off EDGE/GPRS, go to Settings > Network (at least I think)

New Passcode lock time intervals, don't know yet.

Adjustable Alert volume, go to Settings > Sounds.

I've seen that you can choose the sound when you get a text message. They also have a Developer > Debug Console under the Safari setting.
  • Reply 73 of 166
    My iPhone worked exceptionally from June 29th, until this drastic update tonight! A non mod'd AT&T locked phone, and 1.1.1 really threw it a curve ball. 5 minutes after an apparent successful upgrade with iTunes, the bottom ½ inch of the touch screen went dead; exactly when I pushed the purple con for wifi itune store...blip...phone, mail, safari, and ipod icons went numb, and any button or key in that first half inch of the bottom screen!! Soft and hard resets, nope. Restore went normally but couldn't reactivate the bottom ½ inch! Apple, here I come!!
  • Reply 74 of 166
    Buy a freaken product for what it is. Anyone who buys something and then complains later about what it isn't, is a fracking tool. Even worse, after it is updated and they complain they didn't get what they wanted, they're even more of a fracking tool. I have no sympathy for those people. Are you retarded or just stupid?

The next time you spend upwards of $400 for a phone, make sure it is what you want. Otherwise, please find a gas oven, cliff, bridge, or gun and remove yourself from the gene pool.

Thanks, Michael
  • Reply 75 of 166
    :::REMOVED:::

EDIT: I hate it when the mods delete someone's post after I've already directed statement towards them.

It makes me look like a rambling fool who's just talking to himself...
  • Reply 76 of 166
    Quote:

One down, several million more morons to go!

Woo hoo! We're on our way to being a Mac community again!
  • Reply 77 of 166
    great. hoping to do a quick update and play with the new features while my GF uses the comp, but the damn update gave me an error and put my (completely unhacked) iphone into recovery mode and hung (blank black screen) and itunes crashed. restarted itunes (twice) and finally restored my iphone, but now i have to sit here and reload all my songs and i'm suspecting this will reset my email which means 30min or so of checking off already read emails and deleting junk. grrrreeeeeeaaaaat! i suppose i should have known.... \
  • Reply 78 of 166
    Disappointed in Apple with this 1.1.1 update. As someone who is using an unlocked iPhone, I can't update to 1.1.1. Beh.
  • Reply 79 of 166
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Still no SMS functionality (multiple recipients, delete single messages), no copy paste, no MMS app. , additional privacy features (delete single calls from recent calls list, etc), true Exchange push, any kind of calendar sync besides docking (google cal, exchange, etc), .. and a host of other features...

But Apple have screwed over anyone who might be enterprisng enough to provide me with such functionality by bricking phones that would be tempted to load their apps that actually might meet might needs they have ignored, and ae commonly met elsewhere.

..Instead Apple has also given me another opportunity to buy more shit off them. Sweet.

Oh Apple, you are Sooo cool. Thank ou Stevei, thank you. Thank you for listening.

Cue juvenile Apple pom pom waving geeks & fan boys. Tell us again how wonderful Apple is, what foresight Steve has and why we just can't appreciate how wonderful his phone is!

One thing I am proud of; I have persuaded 5 people I know of to NOT buy an iPhone (they went Nokia and HTC instead, and encouraged 3 kids who otherwise would have bought a Mac to go straight Windows laptop instead. I'll buy mu kids Windows.

Assuming that we could believe anything you have to say.
  • Reply 80 of 166
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

No fair!

I flamed him first and Adda gets all the credit...

That will always happen.