Apple iPhone update 1.1.1 offers louder volume, adds iTunes

Comments

• Reply 81 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Update was flawless took about 10 minutes on a Mac. Works great although the new iTunes previews sound really distorted through the iPhone speaker (too much gain, clipped etc.) at least the few I tried on the featured list did. I don't know what's up with that, but the regular iPod sounds just fine.

Noticed the same thing. Anyone else have this experience?
  • Reply 82 of 166
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I had a completely stock phone aside from a few custom ringtones installed via iTunes 7.4.1.x. I had to do a full restore, update, restore, and sync. I didn't lose any of my data but I did lose about 30 minutes of my time. Also, my custom AAC ringtones no longer work as ringtones although they do sync to the phone. Oh well, time to upgrade to iTunes 7.4.2.

New double-tap home feature is worth it though.
  • Reply 83 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

My speaker sounds great in the IMS and is notably louder.

The double tap is great. Hopefully just the beginning of the many improvements to come!

Hey Apple, I still have 3 empty spaces on my homepage...
  • Reply 84 of 166
    I don't own an iPhone, but this looks like a very nice update to me - at least on paper.
  • Reply 85 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

Sounds like modern music mastering techniques
  • Reply 86 of 166
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

it's a friggin' phone not a pda; can't be everything to everybody. It's a great phone by the way.

First off if i was "a frigging' phone" as you say it would cost $29 and barely have enough features to justify that price. Simply put the iPHone is a smart cell phone with some pretty significant multimedia capabilities. Notice the SMART in front of cell phone? Smart cell phones are a growing and dynamic market with surprisingly more than a couple of players. These players have seen the wisdom of user installable apps and features.

What I was referencing earlier doesn't even involve user installable apps. Rather the concern is the ability to manage data on the iPhone through either a built in file manager or via a disk mode feature. I don't think this is asking a lot especially considering that the iPhone will soon have 16 gigs of disk space to manage. This is especially the case when there are two options available and mentioned and like more that haven't been considered.

As to being a great phone, iPhone started out that way, or at least had good potential. However it didn't take long for Apple to drag the iPhone through the mud and get people to focus on the negatives. In any event it looks like Apple is about to treat their customer base as if they where children and micro manage their every move. Some like being lead around while others of us prefer to blaze our own paths. In effect with todays release of an upgrade toeh iPhone Apple has clearly shown that they can take a product with great potential and totally ruin the consumer response to the device.

Dave
  • Reply 87 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

First off if i was "a frigging' phone" as you say it would cost $29 and barely have enough features to justify that price. Simply put the iPHone is a smart cell phone with some pretty significant multimedia capabilities. Notice the SMART in front of cell phone? Smart cell phones are a growing and dynamic market with surprisingly more than a couple of players. These players have seen the wisdom of user installable apps and features.

What I was referencing earlier doesn't even involve user installable apps. Rather the concern is the ability to manage data on the iPhone through either a built in file manager or via a disk mode feature. I don't think this is asking a lot especially considering that the iPhone will soon have 16 gigs of disk space to manage. This is especially the case when there are two options available and mentioned and like more that haven't been considered.

As to being a great phone, iPhone started out that way, or at least had good potential. However it didn't take long for Apple to drag the iPhone through the mud and get people to focus on the negatives. In any event it looks like Apple is about to treat their customer base as if they where children and micro manage their every move. Some like being lead around while others of us prefer to blaze our own paths. In effect with todays release of an upgrade toeh iPhone Apple has clearly shown that they can take a product with great potential and totally ruin the consumer response to the device.

Dave

okay, I'll buy that
  • Reply 88 of 166
    anyone notice no change with the volume of the speaker?
  • Reply 89 of 166
    Mine has stayed the same too.
  • Reply 90 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

One down, several million more morons to go!

Make that several million + 1 foul-mouth to go......
  • Reply 91 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Mine has stayed the same too.

Mine is a lot louder.......a lot more distorted. The iPod sounds like crap, but the text msg alert is noticably louder. What is nicely improved is the louder sound when playing a movie thru the speaker, you can actually hear it now.
  • Reply 92 of 166
    Anyone else notice if you double click the Home button in stand-by mode that iPod controls show up without the need to slide the unlock slider? Pretty cool little feature. This has nothing to do with the double click feature once the phone is unlocked to the home screen or any other screen. It then works as you set it through the settings panel.

Just wish the would ad multiple deleting to email, that would be so simple...
  • Reply 93 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In effect with todays release of an upgrade toeh iPhone Apple has clearly shown that they can take a product with great potential and totally ruin the consumer response to the device.

Dave

So return your iPhone and get a razor and quit putting your whinny woes up here. You're probably a Windows user too!
  • Reply 94 of 166
    My volume is a lot louder in every application. Sometimes to the point of distortion, but most of the sounds are much better now. I'm hoping the vibration is affected too, which I haven't really used yet.
  • Reply 95 of 166
    Don't know if this is due to the update or if AT&T added some cell towers to my neighborhood, but I was unable to get a signal from inside my home, but I now notice that I have about 2-3 bars with it sitting in the charger. Very Cool.
  • Reply 96 of 166
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

Don't know if this is due to the update or if AT&T added some cell towers to my neighborhood, but I was unable to get a signal from inside my home, but I now notice that I have about 2-3 bars with it sitting in the charger. Very Cool.

The charger/cable moderately enhance the antenna's reception. You can test this for yourself by removing the iPhone from the charger, by a distance of a few feet, and observe if there is any change.

m
  • Reply 97 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

So return your iPhone and get a razor and quit putting your whinny woes up here. You're probably a Windows user too!

Clap! Clap! Clap! And don't forget to sign off of this forum for good. If you don't like the product, return it or sell it. Don't tell us about it.
  • Reply 98 of 166
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewMacMan View Post

Clap! Clap! Clap! And don't forget to sign off of this forum for good. If you don't like the product, return it or sell it. Don't tell us about it.

The thing that is interesting about this line of thinking is unlike let's say Ford vs. Chevy, Harley vs. Honda etc. is that once someone decides to buy a particular brand, they usually defend their decision because otherwise they look like a fool for buying something and then complaining that it is a piece of crap. Go figure???
  • Reply 99 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The charger/cable moderately enhance the antenna's reception. You can test this for yourself by removing the iPhone from the charger, by a distance of a few feet, and observe if there is any change.

m

Ok, so the update had no effect on the reception. I took it off as you said and it almost immediately went to "No Service". I was so excited too, as I'd love to use my iPhone in the house rather than my house phone. I live right on the water so getting a good mobile reception is difficult unless you are on Verizon. AT&T just needs to step up on the coverage. Let's go AT&T, get with the program.
  • Reply 100 of 166
    The volume of my ringtones doesn't seem to have changed either, although the volume of playing songs does seem louder (even a bit distorted at full volume).

I've also noticed:

1) At end of videos, we no longer get the query to delete the video to save space

2) Holding down selected keys (e.g., o, e) on keyboard will pop up a new sub-menu of special foreign character modifications

3) The double tap on Home key while iPhone is locked always brings up the iPod controls

4) The double tap on Home key while iPhone is unlocked uses the choice made in Settings

5) WiFi access to iTunes stores works perfectly, and quickly, but ONLY for music

6) Changing the order of Weather widgets/Stock widgets works by clicking on Info buttons and dragging items into desired display order

7) Debug menu in Settings/Safari/Developer will identify web page errors when using Safari

8) Calculator icon changed to same as that used on iPod touch

9) There appears to be a small improvement in responsiveness. When I wake up locked iPhone, then enter my PIN, the click sounds start immediately as I enter the PIN. Previously, the click sounds only sounded when I was nearly done entering my PIN.

10) Lap counter on stopwatch still restarts after clicking Lap button, vice normal stopwatch behavior of displaying total time since last Reset.

11) Settings/Sounds Text Message option to select different notification sound, but no separate volume control as some have said was added

12) Brightness control now works (before update auto-brightness didn't work... turning it on/off now shows clear brightness selection change)

13) Settings/General/Network now gives option to turn off Data Roaming (i.e., turn off EDGE when not on AT&T network to avoid paying roaming fees to third party carrier for checking Mail in background)

14) Settings/General/Keyboard now offers option to double tap on spacebar on keyboard to generate a period with a space following it when entering text.

15) Settings/iPod/TV Out offers options to switch between NTSC (US)/PAL (Europe) and Widescreen when using new composite/component video cables through dock connector.

16) Cover Flow still doesn't change albums properly when playing music changes to another album (you have to change to portrait mode then back to Cover Flow to see the correct album)

I just thought it would be useful to compose a simple list of the things I noticed that changed/didn't change (but should have) to add to the general discussion about the update, quite aside from the negative effects of the update on some iPhones.