Apple, Jobs, AT&T sued over iPhone price cut, rebates

Comments

• Reply 41 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waytogobuddy View Post

Difference is the iphone dev team isn't suing anyone!

what's wrong with people!? Some lady CHOSE to buy something, then sued becasue her deal wasn't sweet enough? Honestly. don't be a customer. stay at home. turn on the gas stove, end yourself.

ROFL

I totally agree. I'm sick of hearing whiny people bitching about how they got a raw deal. Here's why you whiners all got a raw deal..

1. You bought an iPhone. This thing does not even do half the stuff a Palm-based treo can do. (sure it has its own limited subset of features that make it pretty and work well with macs, but you have to admit that if you were a former smartphone user, this is the dumbest smartphone on the market right now.) For that alone you should feel buyer's remorse.

2. You bought it in the first two months! Most people know that when apple releases a product, something better is just around the corner waiting to obsolete it. I'm actually an apple fan but this is one thing that simultaneously awes and dismays me.

3. You accepted sub-standard terms and conditions. 2 year contract??? WTF? You agreed to use At&t for your wireless service provider. For that, you should be electro-shocked back into sanity.

4. You felt that the 8GB iPhone was worth $599 at the time and so that's why you paid that much. For that, you got the privilege of being the first early adopter on the block to show off your shiny new iPhone. Don't whine and bitch because Apple decided to make them more affordable for the rest of us who still haven't bought one.
  • Reply 42 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by der passant View Post

Yes hot water or hot water can cause burns. If you don't want to get burned by it don't buy it. Same for iPhone price drops.

But the terms and conditions communicated at the time that fateful cup of coffee was sold didn't include an explicit statement to the effect that the hot water included a hidden burning skin clause.

Now, the T&C are printed on every coffee cup, and it is much more clear on that point.
  • Reply 43 of 128
    I wonder if I can sue the people who are suing Apple??? A reverse class action where one person, me, sues many people, them. They're pissing me off which is causing me emotional distress which, of course, I never agreed to. They're causing me to bite my nails a bit more which is bad for dating. Gawd, the list of grievances can go on and on.... hmmm
  • Reply 44 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by der passant View Post

Yes hot water or hot water can cause burns. If you don't want to get burned by it don't buy it. Same for iPhone price drops.

Do you expect that the food and drink you buy from a restaurant will cause third degree burns and require skin grafts and a 7-day hospital stay?

Sounds like a safety and defective product issue to me.

The iPhone suit has nothing in common with the "Joan-of-Arc" coffee that McDonalds was serving.
  • Reply 45 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Actually, the hot coffee suite had a bit of merit... the coffee was absurdly and dangerously hot. At least there's a pro and con.

This is total nonsense.

Right up there with the latest generation of whiners who want Apple to support their hacks, and who don't want them to fix buffer overflows so that their hacks continue to work.

There is no merit in idiotic actions nor should it be financially awarded.

From Wikipedia... "On February 27, 1992, Stella Liebeck, a 79-year-old woman from Albuquerque, New Mexico, ordered a 49-cent cup of coffee from the drive-thru of a local McDonald's restaurant. Liebeck was in the passenger's seat of her Ford Probe, and her grandson Chris parked the car so that Liebeck could add cream and sugar to her coffee. She placed the coffee cup between her knees and pulled the far side of the lid toward her to remove it. In the process, she spilled the entire cup of coffee on her lap."

It's coffee for pete's sake, it's supposed to be HOT and I doubt a lower temp cup of hot coffee would have negated any legal action taken on her part. And putting hot coffee between your knees, you get what you deserve.

Also, I read where she has a grandson, therefore she has a son or daughter... I think I'll sue her for procreating and possibly passing on her idiot gene to her children and grandchildren thus possibly creating more idiots in this world. Thanks a lot!

Now we have this idiot! I wonder if they are related?

You know, Al Gore is religiously alarming the world about Global Warming. Well, the earth's temp just rose about 3 degrees because I am STEAMING MAD!

I think Al Gore and the democrats should get with the republicans who advocate tort reform and make some necessary changes for the sake of sanity! PLEASE!!
  • Reply 46 of 128
    Quote:

Actually, the hot coffee suite had a bit of merit... the coffee was absurdly and dangerously hot. At least there's a pro and con.

This is total nonsense.

Right up there with the latest generation of whiners who want Apple to support their hacks, and who don't want them to fix buffer overflows so that their hacks continue to work.

Ummm... helllo? Coffee is supposed to be damn hot. Just one notch below boiling. That lady getting paid was a travesty of justice. This iPhone suit is just as frivolous
  • Reply 47 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mooseworks View Post

"compensatory damages in the amount of $1 million, punitive damages in the amount to be determined at trial, and a court order that she is entitled to "threefold her damages , the costs involved in maintaining this action, and attorney's fees.""

Ok, so that makes $3million, plus punitive damages (what ever they are) plus court costs etc.

Surely that is ridiculous for a price difference of $100

What twisted attorney thought that one up? oh, of course, all attorneys are twisted!

the mind boggles, if this goes to court the world has gone completely crazy.

From an earlier AppleInsider article...

Apple said Friday that Daniel Cooperman, general counsel and secretary at Oracle Corporation, will join the company as its new top legal aid reporting directly to Steve Jobs.

"Dan will be an excellent addition to our team and will fit right into Apple's fast paced culture,? said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "Dan is a seasoned professional with extensive experience in securities compliance, intellectual property, litigation and corporate governance."

WELCOME TO APPLE DAN... NOW GET TO WORK!!!
  • Reply 48 of 128
    Wait a second... Hold the bus... I have already taken out a patent on thinking this woman is an idiot and that this suit is baseless... I'm am now proceeding to sue all of you for saying the same thing.
  • Reply 49 of 128
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

There is no merit in idiotic actions nor should it be financially awarded.

From Wikipedia... "On February 27, 1992, Stella Liebeck, a 79-year-old woman from Albuquerque, New Mexico, ordered a 49-cent cup of coffee from the drive-thru of a local McDonald's restaurant. Liebeck was in the passenger's seat of her Ford Probe, and her grandson Chris parked the car so that Liebeck could add cream and sugar to her coffee. She placed the coffee cup between her knees and pulled the far side of the lid toward her to remove it. In the process, she spilled the entire cup of coffee on her lap."

It's coffee for pete's sake, it's supposed to be HOT and I doubt a lower temp cup of hot coffee would have negated any legal action taken on her part. And putting hot coffee between your knees, you get what you deserve.

Also, I read where she has a grandson, therefore she has a son or daughter... I think I'll sue her for procreating and possibly passing on her idiot gene to her children and grandchildren thus possibly creating more idiots in this world. Thanks a lot!

Now we have this idiot! I wonder if they are related?

You know, Al Gore is religiously alarming the world about Global Warming. Well, the earth's temp just rose about 3 degrees because I am STEAMING MAD!

I think Al Gore and the democrats should get with the republicans who advocate tort reform and make some necessary changes for the sake of sanity! PLEASE!!

Jesus... relax, will you? 15 years ago. (BTW, wasn't it your buddy Newt who sued a place where he tripped while ascending to a podium and got a boo-boo?)

I'll keep in mind that Wikipedia is the authoritative legal reference.

"During discovery, McDonalds produced documents showing more than 700

claims by people burned by its coffee between 1982 and 1992. Some claims

involved third-degree burns substantially similar to Liebecks. This

history documented McDonalds' knowledge about the extent and nature of

this hazard.

McDonalds also said during discovery that, based on a consultants

advice, it held its coffee at between 180 and 190 degrees fahrenheit to

maintain optimum taste. He admitted that he had not evaluated the

safety ramifications at this temperature. Other establishments sell

coffee at substantially lower temperatures, and coffee served at home is

generally 135 to 140 degrees."
  • Reply 50 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dh87 View Post

Last week at Whole Foods, I paid $2.29/lb for apples. This week apples were only $1.69. I am suing Whole Food for $1 million dollars, which is a conservative estimate of my actual, emotional, and spiritual damage. As the eponym of the product in question, I may sue Apple as well.

You forgot that not only did the price drop, but now you can not resell those apples for as much profit as the people who bought the $1.69 apples!
  • Reply 51 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

The coffee was several degrees above the standard temperature that hot coffee is normally served at. It caused burns at a severity that normal hot coffee could not do.

Everyone loves to refer to the coffee lawsuit without knowing any of the facts.

Are you not part of "everyone"
  • Reply 52 of 128
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

It's coffee for pete's sake, it's supposed to be HOT and I doubt a lower temp cup of hot coffee would have negated any legal action taken on her part.

Actually it would have, and McDonalds had been specifically warned about this by the Shriner's Burn Institute in Cincinnati prior to the incident. If I remember right, they were serving their coffee at something like 20 degrees over typical for major vendors, and the report showed that the severity of the burns caused at that temperature difference was basically along the lines of the difference between 2nd and 3rd degree burns (the difference between you put some salve on it and go home or you get skin grafts and are in the hospital for weeks). Accidents happen, drinks spill. But, we live in a country where others do have some level of responsibility for your safety. You can hop in your car and trust that most of the safety issues have been worked out and that people are tracking these for you, the same for your food when you get to the store, and the same for your appliances when you get home to cook it. We even have laws that you're responsible to make sure the ice on your sidewalk gets cleaned off. One can argue these either way, at some point it comes down to, just how negligent was the defendant?

Anyhow, the coffee case was far more legitimate than this.
  • Reply 53 of 128
    I want to sue Wal-mart anyone want to join me,

Because of their falling prices campaign the things I bought last week are always less this week. I think Wal-mart should tell us all ahead of time what their plans are for these prices drops so I can plan according. Plus I hate it when my neighbors come home and tell me they paid less for an item I just bought at Wal-mart. Wal-mart's falling price campaign has embarrassed me in front of my friends and family and they show not be allow to do this to us.

Anyone want to join me in suing Wal-mart
  • Reply 54 of 128
    Quote:

Jesus... relax, will you? 15 years ago. (BTW, wasn't it your buddy Newt who sued a place where he tripped while ascending to a podium and got a boo-boo?)

That was actually a much more noted legal scholar, former Solicitor General Robert Bork. One link to a story is here: http://www.acsblog.org/economic-regu...e-damages.html .
  • Reply 55 of 128
    I wonder what she and her lawyer are smoking.
  • Reply 56 of 128
    Quote:

I'll keep in mind that Wikipedia is the authoritative legal reference.

I used Wikipedia after a quick Google search but had the option of quoting many other links as reference sources and what do you use about "my bud" Newt??? Your memory?! I'll keep that in mind as your authoritative legal reference. And if I ever have to go to this "place", I be sure to watch my step if ascending to a podium.
  • Reply 57 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

But the terms and conditions communicated at the time that fateful cup of coffee was sold didn't include an explicit statement to the effect that the hot water included a hidden burning skin clause.

Now, the T&C are printed on every coffee cup, and it is much more clear on that point.

...by that logic i can put my hand on an ironing board and burn it with an iron, then sue the company who manufactured the iron for not putting a warning label on the iron "caution dipsh!t, this thing is f'ing hot"

...or do i have to drop the iron on my crotch to win the $$$?
  • Reply 58 of 128
    I was going to respond with something "useful" but instead I am still in awe at how idiotic people can be.
  • Reply 59 of 128
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    She should be ordered to pay Apple's defense costs and her attorney should be disbarred for bringing a frivolous action.
  • Reply 60 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dh87 View Post

Last week at Whole Foods, I paid $2.29/lb for apples. This week apples were only $1.69. I am suing Whole Food for $1 million dollars, which is a conservative estimate of my actual, emotional, and spiritual damage. As the eponym of the product in question, I may sue Apple as well.

May I join that lawsuit.

If this crazy iPHone lawsuit even gets any attention, it would be amaze me

LOL