multi-touch keyboard

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'd like to see the creation by Apple of a multi-touch keyboard, completely flat, with a user definable key area where the number pad is on the right. Something like a small icon on top to flip the keyboard over revealing the user definable keys, anything you can imagine with iphone like scrolling. NO more FKEYS!!! A virtual slider to allow the keys to be expanded or contracted in size to please everybody.. That kind of thing. Completely black, flat, with a slight rise (the blue tooth hdw would probably give it a rise anyway. That with a touch screen to remove the need for a mouse and I'd be in PC heaven!

Apple make it so!!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    thatd be some hard to type on
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I wouldn't be a fan of that. The flat keyboards like the indestructible keyboard (http://store.grandtec.com/medikeys.html) are hard to type on and not practacal. It would look cool im sure however, but its hard enough to feel the keys you are typing on the incredibly flat keyboards that exist now.

And given that apple charges around $60 for a keyboard and $60 for a mouse as is, how much would something like that cost? $300+?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t.o.m View Post

I'd like to see the creation by Apple of a multi-touch keyboard, completely flat, with a user definable key area where the number pad is on the right. Something like a small icon on top to flip the keyboard over revealing the user definable keys, anything you can imagine with iphone like scrolling. NO more FKEYS!!! A virtual slider to allow the keys to be expanded or contracted in size to please everybody.. That kind of thing. Completely black, flat, with a slight rise (the blue tooth hdw would probably give it a rise anyway. That with a touch screen to remove the need for a mouse and I'd be in PC heaven!

Apple make it so!!!!

Boy, I sure hope it has some give in. I live on my keyboard (scripts and novels) all day long. If I have to write 30 pages of script in a day with my fingers ponking against a flat surface with no give, it would be a real pain.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    like mzas said, that would really hurt after alot of typing. it is acctually bad for your hands to type continuously on a flat, hard surface. (leads to carple tunnel) something like the Optimus Maximus would be better (if it was'nt $1500)
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Actually, after fiddling with both the iPhone and iPod touch, I can't possibly buy into current touchscreen technology. I found I had multiple wrong entries and was repeatedly kicked out of Safari due to mis-read finger input.

I'll wait until 2nd or 3rd gen... by then, they will have gone back to tactile keys for input.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Well I like the sound of that. As we get more and more used to different input techniques our ability to use them rapidly improves.

I'd love to be able to drag-and-drop photos, files and video clips on my Powerbook/iMac G4 display then move to keyboard for data entry. Simple tasks and navigating the internet would be a dream on a touch display but I believe the first step will be the replacement of the mouse with a multi-touch trackpad arrangement with it's own display much like you describe. Once we've all got used to them the keyboard version will come along.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Before the iPhone Apple bought a company that had a multitouch like keyboard, but I forget the name. !!! Fingerworks!!!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t.o.m View Post

Apple make it so!!!!

You may find this thread of interest to you.