Intuit says work begun on new Mac Quicken, QuickBooks

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Intuit, which launched QuickBooks 2008 for Windows PCs this week, said a new version for Apple's Mac platform is currently under development with a released planned for sometime next year. Meanwhile, future development of Quicken on the Mac is also reportedly underway.

The software developer last issued a new Mac version of QuickBooks, one of the nation's more popular small business accounting programs, in October of 2006. Titled QuickBooks Pro 2007, the release consisted of a Universal binary developed to work efficiently on both Intel- and PowerPC-based Macs. It's presumed that any future offering would be of the same breed.

"QuickBooks is currently focused on developing the next generation Mac platform and plans to deliver a new QuickBooks Mac offering in 2008," the company said in a statement provided to AppleInsider. "This decision will result in an offering designed to delight and meet the evolving needs of our new and existing Mac customers."

In the meantime, the finance software maker said Apple customers can continue to use their current version of QuickBooks Pro, which it plans to fully support under its standard policy.

In speaking to AppleInsider a representative for Intuit added the company remains "committed to delivering the Mac community the best business and personal finance solutions in the market," and that "more details will be shared" closer to their release.

In an similar statement provided last month, the Mountain View, Calif.-based firm said it was also planning for 2008 Quicken offerings for both Macs and PCs and was "investigating the best possible ways to serve the entire Quicken community."

"With anticipation of the launch of the new Mac OS X (Leopard) and Intuit’s ongoing focus on delivering customer driven innovation, more information around future Mac [Quicken] offerings will be shared at a later time," the statement said. "In the mean time, we wanted to make sure that you were aware of Quicken Online -- scheduled to arrive in 2008. This new offering is platform agnostic and will allow users to manage their finances via any web browser."

Citing a company-wide policy of not making forward looking statements about its products, Intuit declined requests to provide any additional details.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    Hello,

what is very unfortunate is that the actual 2007 Quicken for Mac is not working well;

Downloading stocks quotes has been an issue since June 18th and was never ever resolved

in particular for Canadian Stocks Quotes

just look at the Quicken forums; you will see these treads in priority at the top, no fix yet and we are nearly in October;

even forum users have let it go, posting no new messages

so I suppose evryone is looking elsewhere !

Quicken need to fix Quicken 2007 (and prior versions for quotes download) prior to even thinking of the 2008 version
  • Reply 2 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gilles99 View Post

Hello,

what is very unfortunate is that the actual 2007 Quicken for Mac is not working well;

Downloading stocks quotes has been an issue since June 18th and was never ever resolved

in particular for Canadian Stocks Quotes

just look at the Quicken forums; you will see these treads in priority at the top, no fix yet and we are nearly in October;

even forum users have let it go, posting no new messages

so I suppose evryone is looking elsewhere !

Quicken need to fix Quicken 2007 (and prior versions for quotes download) prior to even thinking of the 2008 version

Agreed. At least the huge increase in Mac sales is making companies like this wake up to Mac development!
  • Reply 3 of 51
    As a loyal (used just about every Quicken for Mac version since 2001) but dissatisfied Quicken user, that's good to hear. I hope the new version will get much need UI update and Universal Binary.

As for Quicken Online, no thanks. I want all my financial information on my desktop.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    rtxrtx Posts: 23member
    Will they actually give the mac Quickbooks the same networking/sharing features as the Windows version?

I manage an all-mac office, and when we upgraded Quickbooks some years ago my reasearch told me the mac Quickbooks was buggy and unstable. I purchased a PC just to be able to run it, and finance has been happy. Now of course we have a Parallels option, but still.

Intuit, can you please deliver us a mac version of Quickbooks that has feature partiy with the windows one? Plus a UI and performance that we can be happy with, and you can be proud of?
  • Reply 5 of 51
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    IPhone/Touch Version!!!!

Maybe not soup-to-nuts accounting, but daily financial notebook that could sync back to the mothership.

Particularly if the iPhone as purchasing tool takes off the way I think it ultimately will.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    I would be happy just to get an Intel version of Quicken without any new features.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    Big deal. This is an opportunity for a third party to support Quickens formats and to take their market from them.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    ... on my PC not on my Mac.

Quicken on Mac is really really under featured: stock quotes, multi-currency accounts, ... even though I like the interface better.

Hey Intuit, please look at your forums if you really want to "investigate the best possible ways to serve the entire Quicken community."
  • Reply 9 of 51
    One of the few reasons I use bootcamp is for Quicken Windows. The version for the Mac is just utter crap, especially compared to the Windows version. How hard can it be to make them functionally equivalent?
  • Reply 10 of 51
    Until QuickBooks users become capable of accessing their merchant accounts using the Mac version it will continue to be a complete waste of time. Pro users who need to send invoices with a Pay Online feature, and to be able to process credit cards, have to use the Windows version which is insanity. FWIW I'm sure our friends in Redmond are all too well aware that as soon as Intuit releases a Mac version that can do what the PC version can do they'll lose a LOT of business.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    I wish they stop screwing around and just make it feature parity with the P.C. version. We don't frigin need "mac styling" or "special mac features" Jesus.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Competition

\tPersonal Finance is the huge industry and yet for software there is no competition. Not on Windows platform and not on OS X. I don?t understanding. MYOB, Oracle, Microsoft, Apple, H&R Block. All these companies and more could produce competing software and win in this Markey. But know one wants to compete. It sector is almost as bad as task management software. Intuit is a cash cow. On windows, Microsoft allow Inuit to do so they too can charge 60, 70, 80 bucs a year as well. We need a third leg. For businesses other than the Arts, accounting software is the point of a computer (to an extent).

\tYahoo and Google could enter the market as well. There investment pages are the beginning but then just don?t go anywhere as fare as automatically tracking transactions. Morningstar and Standard and Poor?s, banks and other investment companies all have an interest. And yet, nothing.

\tI need a programmer. If you have the skills, I have some ideas.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Intuit is probably the WORST Mac-centric company on the entire planet, next to EMC who hasn't updated their shoddy bug-ridden Retrospect in almost 5 years. Instead of adding bogus features that nobody uses, why doesn't Intuit finally give us feature parity between Quicken for Windows & Quicken for Mac... and multi-user capability in QuickBooks? It's not like users haven't been clamoring about this for DECADES NOW.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    I hope Intuit Australia wake up and offer a Mac version of Quickbooks.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    quick books pro needs networking seats instead of running off one computer. When this happens, my financial staff will totally run on macs.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

After using Quicken for 4 years (on Mac and then PC), I came up with a MUCH better solution.

I keep an Excel file of all my finances. It's basically the same thing as Quicken: a checkbook register. I have tabs for long-range planning, budget, goals, etc.

I keep it on a small USB keychain flashdrive, along with a Word document containing all my passwords for every website and account I have.

This way they are with me always, and can be used on almost any computer I find myself at.

And I never forget them because I won't be driving anywhere (keychain) without them!

Quicken has always sucked, and I doubt this is gonna change.

Do you have some sort of security mechanism for that? If someone steals your keys, do they also have access to your livelihood too?

Using a spreadsheet is probably not a bad way to go if you just keep track of things and don't need to do payroll. The accounting world just seems to require indoctrination because I just don't understand how this software kind of works, at least, it's just not my thing.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Anybody use GNUCash in OSX as a Quick Books replacement? Fed up with all the problems QB causes. Going to test for a few months to see if we can switch over by FY08...
  • Reply 18 of 51
    It would be nice if they offered Mac users the same line-up of software Windows users get. As a part-time independent contractor I've used the Windows only "Quicken Home & Business" for years now. It's perfect for me - except it is not available for Mac (and I don't have an Intel one yet). It's one of only 2 reasons I still keep my Windows desktop.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"In the mean time, we wanted to make sure that you were aware of Quicken Online -- scheduled to arrive in 2008. This new offering is platform agnostic and will allow users to manage their finances via any web browser."

Why start pushing a web-based application in favor of your cash cow? I wonder what the "gotcha" is. It's probably a subscription fee. Keep track of your finances on our website for $19.95/month. Can't pay? No problem (for us), we'll just delete all that data and move on unless you keep up with the friendship dues.

All your data are belong to us.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbh0001 View Post

Why start pushing a web-based application in favor of your cash cow? I wonder what the "gotcha" is. It's probably a subscription fee. Keep track of your finances on our website for $19.95/month. Can't pay? No problem (for us), we'll just delete all that data and move on unless you keep up with the friendship dues.

All your data are belong to us.

A web-based app would be better, but bankofamerica.com has a nearly perfect web-based finance app already. It already aggregates my other accounts and analyzes spending by category. If bankofamerica.com allowed me to adjust pending transactions (restaurant tips always come up wrong) and add pending checks, I would stop using Quicken all together.

As the banks' web sites get better, Quicken will have a hard time getting people to pay for what they already get for free.