Apple iPhone update 1.1.1 offers louder volume, adds iTunes

Comments

• Reply 101 of 166
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewMacMan View Post

Clap! Clap! Clap! And don't forget to sign off of this forum for good. If you don't like the product, return it or sell it. Don't tell us about it.

Ok I see people have been misunderstanding me. The product itself and the engineering that went into it is pretty marvelous. The programmers and electrical engineers working on this project really deserve a lot of good credit.

The problem is the attitude of Apples management to the customers they are selling these things to. Either Apple doesn't understand why people would want a smart phone or they just don't give two hoots about their customers.

As to telling people about perceived short comings isn't that what these forums are all about\\? In this case the short comings pointed out are real and have lead people to loose data through the upgrade process. That is pretty significant if you ask me.

By the way I don't currently own a iPhone as I was waiting for this so called massive update to see if some of my issues with the iPhone have been addressed. They all haven't been, but what is far worst is that Apple is trying very hard to make the unit even less appealing. Completely cutting off third party apps is a big part of that negative turn. But what the hell, apparently you don't think people should be informed and frugal consumers.

Dave
  • Reply 102 of 166
    As I posted in this Apple Insider forum topic yesterday, there is a new iPhone version 1.1.1 bug concerning password capitalization.

It affects logging into website forums such as this one as well as logging in anywhere that requires a password to be filled in, such as corporate webmail logins, etc. -- if you have capital letters in your password.

What is going on is that when entering your password using your iPhone and using the iPhone's capitalization key, it now acts weird, in this way:

When tapping the capitalization button (and not a double-tap) it now remains on and makes not just the first letter you type after that a capital letter, but all of them -- until you manually turn off the capitalization. It is now acting as if you double-clicked it, but does not turn blue (assuming you have enabled this in your settings).

This messed me up many times yesterday before I saw/realized that the capitalization button was not turning off automatically after a letter was pressed after turning the button on, as it used to do (and probably is supposed to do).

I don't think this is a new "feature" but a new bug, and I point it out to all reading this who are wondering why they are all of a sudden having trouble logging into this forum (and all similar forums: it is happening on my Disney Echo forum as well).

I reported this bug to Apple yesterday, but this is also a heads-up to all until they put out another revision, fixing this bug.

I don't know how the capitalization bug happens just on password fields and not when generally typing things in anywhere else, including writing an email message, in notes, or even in the log-in field when logging in anywhere.

Perhaps Apple didn't catch this bug in 1.1.1 because they used all lowercase letters in passwords when they testing logging in? I wonder how this got past them.

• Reply 103 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The thing that is interesting about this line of thinking is unlike let's say Ford vs. Chevy, Harley vs. Honda etc. is that once someone decides to buy a particular brand, they usually defend their decision because otherwise they look like a fool for buying something and then complaining that it is a piece of crap. Go figure???

That is a reality one has to live with. The problem with this update is that I thought it would address some rather simple issues that I had so that I could justify buying the iPhone. Instead Apple goes and makes the iPhone even less appealing than it was before the update.

Don't get me wrong I'm very interested in the iPhone and some of its shortcomings where being addressed by the independent developer community. That community had come fr enough along that the iPhone was becoming very appealing to me. Now I understand that not everyone is amendable to hacked apps on their mobile phone, for me though this was an avenue to making the iPhone justifiable.

I guess what makes me mad about this update is that Apple via the update is taking away from the user base and giving them very little in return. Believe me iTunes on the iPhone is very little.

Dave
  • Reply 104 of 166
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Thanks for your observations.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post

16) Cover Flow still doesn't change albums properly when playing music changes to another album (you have to change to portrait mode then back to Cover Flow to see the correct album)

I think the current functionality exhibits the correct behavior. Cover flow only responds to touch. That is, if I understand your meaning... for example, if I were browsing the albums when the song happened to change, you are suggesting that the display should abruptly jump to some other album art instead of staying on the one I was studying. If that is what you meant, I think that would be annoying to have to re-find the one I was interested in reading.

m
  • Reply 105 of 166
    I haven't hacked my iPhone at all, and was dismayed when initially updating I got the scary yellow triangle with the exclamation point and it said I needed to factory reinstall the phone. I did so and magically it restored all my old settings including notes and favorites. Whew.

I've noticed no changes in volume which bites. Biggest problem though is that the battery is acting weird. I charged it overnight like I always do. Normally I get 2 days worth of battery with normal use. This morning when I took it off the cradle at full. When I went to check it after it being off the charger for 30 mins it was already at 50%. Scary.

Anyone else having issues?
  • Reply 106 of 166
    OK, I've read several hundred posts on several forums about the update, many upset with the effect of the update on their iPhone (because they modified the standard configuration in some way), and the other side unsympathetically bashing them for updating anyway following all the warnings about returning the iPhone to a standard state before running the update. I really do understand both sides, but think we need to step back, take a deep breath, and address what really may be happening.

I was a dedicated Newton user in the '90s and really hated to see it die when Jobs returned to Apple, but understand and accept the comments he made to stop the company from hemorrhaging cash to help it recover from a decade of mismanagement. I also empathize with the hackers who really want an Apple PDA and think the iPhone may be the platform to allow that to happen.

What's unclear is what Apple's intent is. Is Apple just making a foray into the cell phone market to capitalize on the mismanagement in that industry to create a portable product closer to what it believes customers want, creating a new cash cow for Apple along the way? Or, is it a first step down the road to creating a new communications/data management device with much broader implications?

That's a confusing question. Initially, it seemed the iPhone was going to become this all-in-one communications/portable computer platform. Then, Apple muddied the waters by closing down developer's access to the platform to offer non-web connected applications to run on it. Apple's reply was that it wanted its customers to get used to this new paradigm for a portable communications device that handled calls, music, video, email, notes, and the like, all tightly integrated to work together in a seamless way. Then, down the road when that paradigm was clearly understood, to allow third parties to join the game with their applications taking advantage of that tight integration. However, to accomplish that, everyone needed to understand first how this new platform was designed to work.

That seems a reasonable explanation, but I wonder if more is going on here. Apple's recent comments designed to discourage its new iPhone users in turning its new toy into just another PDA (e.g., Windows Mobile) support this thought. I see Apple's comments about users not messing with the software in the iPhone as having more to do with its platform plans, than with AT&T's exclusive 5-year deal. Apple made a deal to get its vision on the road (rejecting carriers who wouldn't allow Apple to exercise the level of control it needed to implement its plans), and now wants to exercise an iron hand to keep its new baby under control while it develops its vision.

If Apple permits third parties to turn the iPhone into just another PDA, we'll never see where Apple wants to go with this device. So, is Apple just being an ordinary company pushing a new product out to start up a new revenue stream, or is Jobs moving forward with a new device that it hopes will become so much more than a mere cell phone or ordinary PDA? I see the Starbucks deal, and the iPhone's ubiquitous WiFi access, as important clues to where Apple is looking.

We'll be better able to assess that as we see what other products Apple releases over the coming year. If Apple actually releases a next generation portable computer/Newton successor in 2008, we'll have our answer.
  • Reply 107 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think the current functionality exhibits the correct behavior. Cover flow only responds to touch. That is, if I understand your meaning... for example, if I were browsing the albums when the song happened to change, you are suggesting that the display should abruptly jump to some other album art instead of staying on the one I was studying. If that is what you meant, I think that would be annoying to have to re-find the one I was interested in reading.

m

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't considered that viewpoint. I guess it only goes to show one's person's bug is another's feature.
  • Reply 108 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

First off if i was "a frigging' phone" as you say it would cost $29 and barely have enough features to justify that price. Simply put the iPHone is a smart cell phone with some pretty significant multimedia capabilities. Notice the SMART in front of cell phone? Smart cell phones are a growing and dynamic market with surprisingly more than a couple of players. These players have seen the wisdom of user installable apps and features.

What I was referencing earlier doesn't even involve user installable apps. Rather the concern is the ability to manage data on the iPhone through either a built in file manager or via a disk mode feature. I don't think this is asking a lot especially considering that the iPhone will soon have 16 gigs of disk space to manage. This is especially the case when there are two options available and mentioned and like more that haven't been considered.

As to being a great phone, iPhone started out that way, or at least had good potential. However it didn't take long for Apple to drag the iPhone through the mud and get people to focus on the negatives. In any event it looks like Apple is about to treat their customer base as if they where children and micro manage their every move. Some like being lead around while others of us prefer to blaze our own paths. In effect with todays release of an upgrade toeh iPhone Apple has clearly shown that they can take a product with great potential and totally ruin the consumer response to the device.

Dave

As proven by its sales track record.
  • Reply 109 of 166
    Quote:

I've also noticed:

3) The double tap on Home key while iPhone is locked always brings up the iPod controls

8) Calculator icon changed to same as that used on iPod touch

12) Brightness control now works (before update auto-brightness didn't work... turning it on/off now shows clear brightness selection change)

My brightness adjustment always responded... I don't see a difference.

Wondering why such a rapid change in Calculator icons for Apple products? Was this an error corrected?

I like the Home button's double tap to bring up favorites... But iPod controls do not appear when performing the function when locked on my iPhone....

How about letting us read the actual email in landscape mode Apple!

glennQ
  • Reply 110 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post

I like the Home button's double tap to bring up favorites... But iPod controls do not appear when performing the function when locked on my iPhone....

glennQ

Clarification: On my iPhone, after clicking the Wake/Sleep button, but before moving slider to enter PIN, if I double tap the Home button, it brings up the iPod controls.
  • Reply 111 of 166
    I don't have any sympathy for people that hacked their phone or installed apps. from another developer. Yeah, it would be great if Apple allowed third party apps, but they didn't. It is their product to police. And it's their way of keeping the software stable. It's a great product without any additional features, and should be reviewed and appreciated that way.
  • Reply 112 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Please don't make stupidly arrogant comments that reflect your personal experience, and insinuate that people running into problems are somehow worthy of your inane 'wonder'ment.

Thanks!

Hey dipstick, I can "wonder" all I wish -- it's a free country. You are the one who sounds arrogant, as my post was quite civil. And for your information, the reason I said it made me wonder how so many people could have so many problems is because some have Windows PC, some have Macs, some have hacked iPhones -- and then some are probably just whiners like you who enjoy posting angry foolishness.
  • Reply 113 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post

How about letting us read the actual email in landscape mode Apple!

glennQ

I hear you on that request, Glenn. A lot of us are waiting for landscape mode in mail. I'm sure we'll get that one of these days. That'll be sweet.
  • Reply 114 of 166
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't considered that viewpoint. I guess it only goes to show one's person's bug is another's feature.

I guess it doesn't work exactly like the computer version of Cover Flow which waits about 15 seconds of idle time before going to the current album art in the case that you are interacting with the interface. Maybe they decided to not allow it to reset on the iPhone for the reason that the portrait view does this already and the iPhone version of Cover Flow is also used to view the album contents unlike the computer version.
  • Reply 115 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullrat View Post

Hey dipstick, I can "wonder" all I wish -- it's a free country. You are the one who sounds arrogant, as my post was quite civil. And for your information, the reason I said it made me wonder how so many people could have so many problems is because some have Windows PC, some have Macs, some have hacked iPhones -- and then some are probably just whiners like you who enjoy posting angry foolishness.

Hey bull***t (that's three asterisks): if you have a "reason" in your own mind for why you think you said something, why don't you tell us what it is when you actually say it, instead of expecting us to infer it?

Why don't you cut-and-paste where in your post you stated your "reason" for why you "wonder"ed?
  • Reply 116 of 166
    Quote:

The volume of my ringtones doesn't seem to have changed either, although the volume of playing songs does seem louder (even a bit distorted at full volume).

I've also noticed:

1) At end of videos, we no longer get the query to delete the video to save space

2) Holding down selected keys (e.g., o, e) on keyboard will pop up a new sub-menu of special foreign character modifications

3) The double tap on Home key while iPhone is locked always brings up the iPod controls

4) The double tap on Home key while iPhone is unlocked uses the choice made in Settings

5) WiFi access to iTunes stores works perfectly, and quickly, but ONLY for music

6) Changing the order of Weather widgets/Stock widgets works by clicking on Info buttons and dragging items into desired display order

7) Debug menu in Settings/Safari/Developer will identify web page errors when using Safari

8) Calculator icon changed to same as that used on iPod touch

9) There appears to be a small improvement in responsiveness. When I wake up locked iPhone, then enter my PIN, the click sounds start immediately as I enter the PIN. Previously, the click sounds only sounded when I was nearly done entering my PIN.

10) Lap counter on stopwatch still restarts after clicking Lap button, vice normal stopwatch behavior of displaying total time since last Reset.

11) Settings/Sounds Text Message option to select different notification sound, but no separate volume control as some have said was added

12) Brightness control now works (before update auto-brightness didn't work... turning it on/off now shows clear brightness selection change)

13) Settings/General/Network now gives option to turn off Data Roaming (i.e., turn off EDGE when not on AT&T network to avoid paying roaming fees to third party carrier for checking Mail in background)

14) Settings/General/Keyboard now offers option to double tap on spacebar on keyboard to generate a period with a space following it when entering text.

15) Settings/iPod/TV Out offers options to switch between NTSC (US)/PAL (Europe) and Widescreen when using new composite/component video cables through dock connector.

16) Cover Flow still doesn't change albums properly when playing music changes to another album (you have to change to portrait mode then back to Cover Flow to see the correct album)

I just thought it would be useful to compose a simple list of the things I noticed that changed/didn't change (but should have) to add to the general discussion about the update, quite aside from the negative effects of the update on some iPhones.

This is fantastically helpful. Thank you!!
  • Reply 117 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is fantastically helpful. Thank you!!

No problem. I just got tired of reading through pages of emotionalism, when all I wanted to know was what people were experiencing with the update, and how the changes were working. Summarizing it seemed the best thing to do for others with this interest. \
  • Reply 118 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewMacMan View Post

I don't have any sympathy for people that hacked their phone or installed apps. from another developer. Yeah, it would be great if Apple allowed third party apps, but they didn't. It is their product to police. And it's their way of keeping the software stable. It's a great product without any additional features, and should be reviewed and appreciated that way.

Well I think this is where 99% of the people here disagree. After they made the sale the device is yours. Apple shouldn't have the freedom to modify stuff that you own in a way that breaks and renders useless the product.

This in a nut shell is the problem, APPLE is damaging hardware that people own. The hackers aren't doing it and honestly the owners aren't either. It is apples installation of the update that is breaking things.. Unfortunately the update doesn't appear to have a very good track record, on this forum at least, of trouble free updates on unmodified iPhones.

If Apple had released an update that simply undid what ever was done to unlock it, that would be one thing. But going to this whole, anti consumer, screw the user, break his iPhone level, is a wholly different issue. It is one thing to release an update that adds functionality and fixes issues it it totally different to release an update that destroys what the user originally paid for.

Dave
  • Reply 119 of 166
    Quote:

...APPLE is damaging hardware that people own.

If this is true, then I would agree that Apple would be behaving improperly. However, I haven't read anything that leads me to believe that Apple is intentionally attempting to brick user's devices. In fact, I think they've gone out of their way to warn users modifying their iPhones that it would be risky to run their updates, since their programmers assume a certain software configuration when updating code to fix bugs and add new features. If that assumption is invalid, Apple is warning users that unexpected results may occur.
  • Reply 120 of 166
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Well I think this is where 99% of the people here disagree. After they made the sale the device is yours. Apple shouldn't have the freedom to modify stuff that you own in a way that breaks and renders useless the product.

This in a nut shell is the problem, APPLE is damaging hardware that people own. The hackers aren't doing it and honestly the owners aren't either. It is apples installation of the update that is breaking things.. Unfortunately the update doesn't appear to have a very good track record, on this forum at least, of trouble free updates on unmodified iPhones.

If Apple had released an update that simply undid what ever was done to unlock it, that would be one thing. But going to this whole, anti consumer, screw the user, break his iPhone level, is a wholly different issue. It is one thing to release an update that adds functionality and fixes issues it it totally different to release an update that destroys what the user originally paid for.

Dave

Not at all.

If you modify a piece of equipment, or the controlling software in a way not supported by the manufacturer, they have no responsibility to fix something that your unauthorized software mods has bricked when a legit upgrade from the manufacturer is applied.

Once you've modded it this way, you no longer have the product that "the user originally paid for", but a bastardized version.

You should know this when you buy the product, esp when the company says they are not going to support this stuff, and when the warrantee states this specificlly.

Sure, you can do whatever you want with the product. But they don't have to fix it it either.

If you're not happy about this then you shouldn't buy it.