Password Capitalization bug in v 1.1.1 iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
This bug came in with version 1.1.1 of iPhone today:

When logging into any website forum, such as this one, now the capitalization key on the iPhone acts weird when putting in your password.

When tapping the capitalization button (and not a double-tap) it now remains on and makes not just the first letter you type after that a capital letter, but all of them -- until you manually turn off the capitalization. It is now acting as if you double-clicked it, but does not turn blue (assuming you have enabled this in your settings).

This messed me up many times today before I saw/realized that the capitalization button was not turning off automatically after a letter was pressed after turning the button on, as it used to do (and probably is supposed to do).

I don't think this is a new "feature" but a new bug, and I point it out to all reading this who are wondering why they are all of a sudden having trouble logging into this forum (and all similar forums: it is happening on my Disney Echo forum as well).

I've reported this bug to Apple tonight, but this is a heads-up to all until they put out another revision, fixing this bug.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Well, if Apple soon releases versions 1.1.2 of the iPhone software, I think we'll know why!

• Reply 2 of 9
    I just read in a reply to my post ( here ) that the password capitalization bug not only affects logging into website forums like this one, but even affects logging in to corporate email.

I'd hazard a guess that it affects logging in to anything that requires a password.

I don't know how the capitalization bug happens just on password fields and not when generally typing things in anywhere else, including writing an email message, in notes, or even in the log-in field when logging in anywhere.

Perhaps Apple didn't catch this bug in 1.1.1 because they used all lowercase letters in passwords when they testing logging in? I wonder how this got past them.

• Reply 3 of 9
    Did you report this to Apple? http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Yes, as I wrote in the last paragraph of my first message in this topic, I did submit it to Apple.

Perhaps all reading this should report it, too. I never got a reply from Apple, not even a form letter email reply. The website did go to a Thank You screen (I don't remember the exact wording of the screen, but that was the gist of it) after I submitted the bug, but I did not get an email message..
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Disney, Apple never replies to bug reports or enhancement requests. They get too many. Only Appleseed testers get replies (they use a different form).
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Thanks for filling me in about that. I thought when they had me give my email address they'd follow up in email.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DisneyEcho View Post

Yes, as I wrote in the last paragraph of my first message in this topic, I did submit it to Apple.

Perhaps all reading this should report it, too. I never got a reply from Apple, not even a form letter email reply. The website did go to a Thank You screen (I don't remember the exact wording of the screen, but that was the gist of it) after I submitted the bug, but I did not get an email message..

Yeah usually apple replies promptly through mail with a complimentary iPod, weird that they didn't take the time to show their appreciation.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DisneyEcho View Post

This bug came in with version 1.1.1 of iPhone today:

When logging into any website forum, such as this one, now the capitalization key on the iPhone acts weird when putting in your password.

When tapping the capitalization button (and not a double-tap) it now remains on and makes not just the first letter you type after that a capital letter, but all of them -- until you manually turn off the capitalization. It is now acting as if you double-clicked it, but does not turn blue (assuming you have enabled this in your settings).

This messed me up many times today before I saw/realized that the capitalization button was not turning off automatically after a letter was pressed after turning the button on, as it used to do (and probably is supposed to do).

I don't think this is a new "feature" but a new bug, and I point it out to all reading this who are wondering why they are all of a sudden having trouble logging into this forum (and all similar forums: it is happening on my Disney Echo forum as well).

I've reported this bug to Apple tonight, but this is a heads-up to all until they put out another revision, fixing this bug.

This bug has now been fixed in iPhone version 1.1.2

It was my pleasure to help!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

Disney, Apple never replies to bug reports or enhancement requests. They get too many. Only Appleseed testers get replies (they use a different form).

To be perfectly accurate... they rarely reply.

I did receive a reply on one occasion. They requested further clarification and I eventually received an automated email saying that the bug had been addressed. Granted, this was around 4 years ago.