Apple iPhone update 1.1.1 offers louder volume, adds iTunes

Comments

• Reply 121 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewMacMan View Post

Clap! Clap! Clap! And don't forget to sign off of this forum for good. If you don't like the product, return it or sell it. Don't tell us about it.

If you feed a troll, he'll stay around forever...

It's best just to ignore some posts.
  • Reply 122 of 166
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post

If this is true, then I would agree that Apple would be behaving improperly. However, I haven't read anything that leads me to believe that Apple is intentionally attempting to brick user's devices. In fact, I think they've gone out of their way to warn users modifying their iPhones that it would be risky to run their updates, since their programmers assume a certain software configuration when updating code to fix bugs and add new features. If that assumption is invalid, Apple is warning users that unexpected results may occur.

That is exactly what is happening but the anti-Apple wags will surely be singing a different tune.
  • Reply 123 of 166
    Hi All,

I updated my iPhone's firmware to 1.1.1 yesterday and seem to have lost almost half of my contact information from the address program on my Mac.

This is has affected all programs that use the Address Book, such as FAXstf Pro etc etc.

The contacts are still on my iPhone however.

What was deleted from the iPhone are all the songs on the iPod portion.

Seems like pretty strange behavior to me, like the update somehow corrupted my desktop Mac????

Anyone else have any similar issues?

Anyone have a good way to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!
  • Reply 124 of 166
    I applied the update late the other night and had no issues whatsoever. Everything loaded and worked perfectly.

However, I did make sure that all my software, including the recent iLife 08 update, had been applied to my machine beforehand. (I just purchased the new 2.0GB 20" iMac--maybe that has something to do with it, too.)

For me, the update was worth it simply for the increase in handset volume. Previously, I found it almost impossible to hear someone on the phone if i was in a reasonably noisy environment, even if I was pushing the phone against my ear with the volume turned all the way up. That's no longer the case anymore, as the volume across the board is much, much louder, whether I'm holding the phone to my ear (my biggest concern) or using the speakerphone.

So, mark me as one of those in the "pleased" column.

GTSC
  • Reply 125 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

it's a friggin' phone not a pda; can't be everything to everybody. It's a great phone by the way.

This device can be a lot more than just a phone/ipod if apple quits being like microsoft and gets their head out of their butt and quit being so greedy.

I paid for my music why do I have to pay an additional .99 to edit out a clip per song.

I wish I could have been in the audience when Steve demo the itunes app.. and boo'ed him off the stage.
  • Reply 126 of 166
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KG4MXV View Post

This device can be a lot more than just a phone/ipod if apple quits being like microsoft and gets their head out of their butt and quit being so greedy.

I paid for my music why do I have to pay an additional .99 to edit out a clip per song.

I wish I could have been in the audience when Steve demo the itunes app.. and boo'ed him off the stage.

If you don't understand it by now, forget it!
  • Reply 127 of 166
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If you don't understand it by now, forget it!

Well then you explain it to us.

The fact remains that APPLE has gone way overboard in their hostility to the consumer. If you can't see that then I guess you must be under the influence of the RDF. Like it or not the iPhone is a computer, yes a small one but plenty powerful none the less. I just don't see any body on this thread nor any other coming up with justification that I can buy into for APPLE's behavior.

Dave
  • Reply 128 of 166
    Still can't use Safari and listen to music at the same time.
  • Reply 129 of 166
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The fact remains that APPLE has gone way overboard in their hostility to the consumer. If you can't see that then I guess you must be under the influence of the RDF. Like it or not the iPhone is a computer, yes a small one but plenty powerful none the less. I just don't see any body on this thread nor any other coming up with justification that I can buy into for APPLE's behavior.

Dave

The point was that it's been discussed to death.

Apple really can't do anything about the specific instance that KG4MXV mentioned, they "signed a deal with the devil" and now they are left having to deal with it.
  • Reply 130 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Perhaps.

But just as happens with most issues of this nature, it is good to reestablish and rediscover what the issues were/are (whether those that "were" still "are."). Oldtimers might sigh and shrug, but newcomers (recall that every one of us was one of those once) need to often reinvent their own wheels.

The fact that something has been discussed to death does not necessarily mean it was resolved, and if it wasn't, it does not mean that it is non-resolvable by a new group of posters re-igniting the discussion.
  • Reply 131 of 166
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Perhaps.

But just as happens with most issues of this nature, it is good to reestablish and rediscover what the issues were/are (whether those that "were" still "are."). Oldtimers might sigh and shrug, but newcomers (recall that every one of us was one of those once) need to often reinvent their own wheels.

The fact that something has been discussed to death does not necessarily mean it was resolved, and if it wasn't, it does not mean that it is non-resolvable by a new group of posters re-igniting the discussion.

In this case, discussing it is not necessarily going to change things, and the recent discussions are still relatively new. Some of the complaints with respect to iPhone will be addressed, maybe some already planned and just not ready, some may be in response to complaints but there are just some things that aren't likely to change any time soon.
  • Reply 132 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Apple really can't do anything about the specific instance that KG4MXV mentioned, they "signed a deal with the devil" and now they are left having to deal with it.

Guess what JeffDM after I return the toy and get my money back from both apple and at&t I will have $1100.00 back in my pocket and have sent a message to apple that crud is not going to fly with me. And if any one else feels the way I do PLEASE return your phone if enough people do it will be noticed.
  • Reply 133 of 166
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    First I think everybody ought to realize that my beef, with Apple, is in running third party apps. Some here seem to be confusing that with unlocking the phone for a different carrier. These are two different things altogether.

Second people should look at this article: http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...iphone-to-bits

over on Ars. Here you have a representative of Apple the corporation saying that Apple doesn't have an issue with third party applications. This only a couple of weeks ago. So either he didn't have a clue about the update, in which case he is utterly useless or we have been subjected to a corporate lie.

There are not to many ways to look at this. Either he knew what was coming and purposefully mislead the public or he is useless as a Apple representative.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Not at all.

If you modify a piece of equipment, or the controlling software in a way not supported by the manufacturer, they have no responsibility to fix something that your unauthorized software mods has bricked when a legit upgrade from the manufacturer is applied.

You can argue all you want but clearly from public statements made by Apple representatives the use of third party apps though unsupported wasn't something they where against.

Further you seem to have a big problem here in understanding what is going on. It is Apples software that is bricking the iPhones NOT THE MODS. Further it is Apples software that is preventing third party apps from loading now.

Quote:

Once you've modded it this way, you no longer have the product that "the user originally paid for", but a bastardized version.

That is rather a deep pile of BS. That is like saying that ones warranty on a PC should be suspended if a piece of software that is not manufacture supported is loaded on to. The point is the iPhone is a computer running Mac OS X that can support third party apps just as well as any other Apple computer. I really can't fathom how you can equate loading an application onto a computer as bastardizing it.

Quote:

You should know this when you buy the product, esp when the company says they are not going to support this stuff, and when the warrantee states this specificlly.

I do hope you read the supplied link. Not much more than a couple of weeks ago they where practically embracing third party apps.

Quote:

Sure, you can do whatever you want with the product. But they don't have to fix it it either.

If they screw it up they most certainly have an obligation to fix it. This is the point I'm getting at and everyone keeps glossing over Apple is the one responsible for the bricks. They are responsible for the fixes in the same way that MS is responsible for the patches and updates they offer.

Quote:

If you're not happy about this then you shouldn't buy it.

No fooling. I just hope that the consumer rights people start to pick up on this a bit.

As I've mentioned in other forums this is the equivalent to taking you care into the garage for service and having the tech apply an update that leaves you with a few features missing in exchange for more limited access to the automobile. It can be likened to adding a fancy new dashboard clock and at the same time deleting half of the accessible radio stations on the car radio and locking out its CD transport.

I wonder what people would do if the calendar app of some other program was deleted or made inoperative.

Dave
  • Reply 134 of 166
    Quote:

Dave

Apple has done precisely what they have said. They said that they would update the device, and add features. They are doing that.

They have a warrantee which warns of not doing unauthorized changes, as that might damage the machine.

They say that if you have unlocked the machine, it MIGHT not work.

Their responsibility to the vast majority of people who decided to abide by their contracts that they agreed to when they bought the phone, trumps any responsibility to those who have tampered with it.

You are under the influence of the thought that you can do anything you like, and that Apple must make sure that no matter what you've done, they must fix it. You're in your own RDF field.

It doesn't much matter what you think this device is. Jobs said several times that it's a phone, and not a computer.

Also note that if you've just added programs, your phone should still upgrade just fine. Many people have reported this.

It's mostly the unlocking that causes a final problem.

Just remember that Apple, and other companies, always say that unauthorized modifications to their products isn't supported. If you do that, none will service them. It's not just Apple.

You just thought that Apple would let things slide, and so you'd take the chance. Now that they haven't, you're mad.

You have no right to be.

I've modded products. But I've never expected the manufacturer to service them afterwards. What people usually do is to wait until the warrantee runs out, and then they do it.

If you're not willing to wait, then you must be willing to take the risk, and expect the worst.
  • Reply 135 of 166
    Quote:

Guess what JeffDM after I return the toy and get my money back from both apple and at&t I will have $1100.00 back in my pocket and have sent a message to apple that crud is not going to fly with me. And if any one else feels the way I do PLEASE return your phone if enough people do it will be noticed.

Wow! You're tough! Apple and ATT will shiver if you and a few others try to send back their phones. I hope youve done this before the 14 days run out.

Apple's sales only seem to be up 70% since the price drop. You'll get 'em for sure.

Exactly what do you intend to tell them? That you decided not to abide by the contract you signed by buying, and activating the device?

That you didn't read any of the news reports the past year?
  • Reply 136 of 166
    Quote:

First I think everybody ought to realize that my beef, with Apple, is in running third party apps. Some here seem to be confusing that with unlocking the phone for a different carrier. These are two different things altogether.

You are under a misapprehension. Adding third party apps isn't something that Apple necessarily wants to prevent. But, it happens.

How many times do you have to update a program because Apple has updated the OS? When Apple has an upgrade, such as we will have shortly in 10.5 (hopefully), many programs stop working, and we have to wait for them to get fixed. how many times has Apple said to unplug external hardware before up grading? How many problems have we had from Firewire? I lost two drives because of that.

Yet, we don't say that Apple is deliberately doing this. Or do you?

Quote:

Second people should look at this article: http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...iphone-to-bits

over on Ars. Here you have a representative of Apple the corporation saying that Apple doesn't have an issue with third party applications. This only a couple of weeks ago. So either he didn't have a clue about the update, in which case he is utterly useless or we have been subjected to a corporate lie.

This is old news already. I think that he was giving Apple's policy. But then others read what he had said, and told that it couldn't be guaranteed.

Quote:

There are not to many ways to look at this. Either he knew what was coming and purposefully mislead the public or he is useless as a Apple representative.

This wasn't the first time an executive of a company says something off the cuff, only to find out that there are ramifications that he didn't think about.

That's why it's so unusual for an Apple executive to do that. It's something that people here complain about.

This is why. He should have had his remarks vetted first. But, that can't be done in a live interview.

There doesn't have to be anything sinister about it as you imply. It's simply ridiculous to think that he would try to mislead the public on that. What would have been the point? You can't explain it.

You don't think that he would have known that he would have had his statement modified?

Quote:

You can argue all you want but clearly from public statements made by Apple representatives the use of third party apps though unsupported wasn't something they where against.

Further you seem to have a big problem here in understanding what is going on. It is Apples software that is bricking the iPhones NOT THE MODS. Further it is Apples software that is preventing third party apps from loading now.

No. It's pretty obvious that you are the one who dosn't know what is going on. You're so pissed that you don't have what you want that you're trying to find excuses for your mistake, to make yourself feel better.

Quote:

That is rather a deep pile of BS. That is like saying that ones warranty on a PC should be suspended if a piece of software that is not manufacture supported is loaded on to. The point is the iPhone is a computer running Mac OS X that can support third party apps just as well as any other Apple computer. I really can't fathom how you can equate loading an application onto a computer as bastardizing it.

PC's are made to load other software. Apple never said that they would allow unauthorized third parties to do so. Just the opposite. From the very beginning Jobs said that third party software was likely, but that it would have to go through Apple.

Quote:

I do hope you read the supplied link. Not much more than a couple of weeks ago they where practically embracing third party apps.

We all know what they said. You harp on one thing so much, you aren't thinking it through.

They never welcomed these unauthorized apps and installers. It was more like toleration.

The question from the very beginning was whether Apple would react unfavorability. They said they didn't care, but they have no responsibility to worry about whether they work or not.

Quote:

If they screw it up they most certainly have an obligation to fix it. This is the point I'm getting at and everyone keeps glossing over Apple is the one responsible for the bricks. They are responsible for the fixes in the same way that MS is responsible for the patches and updates they offer.

This is one of your big problems. You don't want to admit that it could be the third party work that's screwed up.

Don't you know that even with its computers, Apple warns developers not to use certain memory locations, "reserved" areas, or certain undocumented "features" of the OS, or hardware, because Apple may use them in the future, and the programs that utilize them may stop working?

Well, you may not have noticed, but so far, Apple has not released an SDK for this. These "developers" have no idea where they shouldn't be stepping. Apple hasn't told them where not to go. Is it really so surprising that things will either stop working, or get wiped out? Is it so surprising that Apple may be changing those specs as the phone's software evolves?

It shouldn't be.

Quote:

No fooling. I just hope that the consumer rights people start to pick up on this a bit.

That's absurd. Some twit will try to sue, but will lose.

Quote:

As I've mentioned in other forums this is the equivalent to taking you care into the garage for service and having the tech apply an update that leaves you with a few features missing in exchange for more limited access to the automobile. It can be likened to adding a fancy new dashboard clock and at the same time deleting half of the accessible radio stations on the car radio and locking out its CD transport.

You can say it all you want, but it isn't any more true because you are saying it.

It's more like you modding the engine, which then no longer works when you take it in for service, and they either require you to pay for the entire job of putting it right, or you lose your warrantee, and they won't fix it at all.

Quote:

I wonder what people would do if the calendar app of some other program was deleted or made inoperative.

What are you talking about? That makes no sense.
  • Reply 137 of 166
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    It's easy to shoot down people, but nothing changes that Apple's made a shitty decision that makes their product less interesting and less compelling. It's a sad state of affairs for a company who used to implore people to think different. Apple apologists will find ten ways to explain how it is actually great that the iPhone has less potential today, but we all know that if MSFT did exactly this, folks would team them mercilessly. Without a doubt it is Jobs least popular move in years, and in time will be seen as the beginning of the end of Apple's dominance of cutting-edge cool. It's a sad day.
  • Reply 138 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrmister View Post

It's easy to shoot down people, but nothing changes that Apple's made a shitty decision that makes their product less interesting and less compelling. It's a sad state of affairs for a company who used to implore people to think different. Apple apologists will find ten ways to explain how it is actually great that the iPhone has less potential today, but we all know that if MSFT did exactly this, folks would team them mercilessly. Without a doubt it is Jobs least popular move in years, and in time will be seen as the beginning of the end of Apple's dominance of cutting-edge cool. It's a sad day.

You're doing a nice, but ineffectual, job of insulting those who think you're wrong.

Just don't think that because you want something, that you have to get it.
  • Reply 139 of 166
    friend of mine succed to downgrade to 1.0.2 after the update. don't know if this is already known

edit: yes it is, its even on engadget
  • Reply 140 of 166
    Quote:

...after I return the toy and get my money back ... have sent a message to apple that crud is not going to fly with me... PLEASE return your phone if enough people do it will be noticed.

Good luck!