New Apple Cinema Displays.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
When? Been trolling about this for years... I need these!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmhtkmhtkmht View Post

When? Been trolling about this for years... I need these!

Between now and mid-January of 2008!
  • Reply 2 of 56
    I expect to see new monitors with the new Mac Pros but aside from a new form factor, realistically what, if anything, can we expect to see in new cinema displays? Are new displays warranted if there are literally no changes in technology or features?
  • Reply 3 of 56
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by baygbm View Post

Are new displays warranted if there are literally no changes in technology or features?

I'd expect to see higher resolution (more PPI), included video cameras and HDCP. More USB ports, and more inputs would be nice too. But I gave up waiting and bought a HP display this summer. Apple should have redesigned their Cinema Displays a year ago, IMO.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Until most applications have adapted to Resolution Independence, we won't see Cinema Displays with the 163dpi of the iPhone. However, with Resolution Independence about to ship, it's time to start offering 125dpi Cinema Displays. That would correspond to a 24" monitor with the 2560x1600 resolution of the current 30" monitor.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Until most applications have adapted to Resolution Independence, we won't see Cinema Displays with the 163dpi of the iPhone. However, with Resolution Independence about to ship, it's time to start offering 125dpi Cinema Displays. That would correspond to a 24" monitor with the resolution of the current 30" monitor.

I agree. I think Apple is awaiting the release of Leopard with its resolution independence before releasing any new ACD's.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    If Apple were to ship a new line of Cinema Displays with 125dpi, they might be:

30.4" WQSXGA 3200x2048

24" WQXGA 2560x1600

18" WUXGA 1920x1200 (Apple already offers this resolution at 133dpi on the 17" MBP)
  • Reply 7 of 56
    Quote:

18" WUXGA 1920x1200 (Apple already offers this resolution at 133dpi on the 17" MBP)

Why 18"? Seems a step down, doesn't it?
  • Reply 8 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Why 18"? Seems a step down, doesn't it?

A step down from what? I just took some standard display resolutions and provided the sizes at 125dpi. Realistically, if Apple were to offer a higher resolution Cinema Display at 1920x1200, I think it would make more sense to use the same 133dpi display now optional for the 17" MBP.

Of course, it's possible that Apple might ship Cinema Displays with non-standard resolutions.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I look forward to new designs, slimmer and built-in iSight. But what I really would like to see is a larger than 30" ACD.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    Quote:

A step down from what?.

Step down from the smallest, 20". Just a psychological thing, but I'd want a bigger display for my new purchase rather than the choice of a smaller one. 19" displays seem to be the norm, 17" on the way out, 24" the next big ones (definitely Apple needs to go from 23" to 24") and 30's at the top for the moment.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by baygbm View Post

I expect to see new monitors with the new Mac Pros but aside from a new form factor, realistically what, if anything, can we expect to see in new cinema displays? Are new displays warranted if there are literally no changes in technology or features?

New price for one. Right now, the ACD are way out of line with the competition. And while I don't expect Apple to compete on price, I do expect them to be within a $100 - $200 or so.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:

If Apple were to ship a new line of Cinema Displays with 125dpi, they might be:

30.4" WQSXGA 3200x2048

24" WQXGA 2560x1600

I doubt those specs.

Better response rates would be nice as well.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Apple offer a glass screen option on at least one of the upcoming displays. Many people that I have spoken with admit to being surprised by how much they have come to enjoy the stunningly clean screen of the new iMac. I'm a fan myself ...
  • Reply 14 of 56
    The new ACDs will probably have LED backlights.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

I look forward to new designs, slimmer and built-in iSight. But what I really would like to see is a larger than 30" ACD.

Thats what I'm waiting for... if Dell can have a LCD line, why can't Apple?

47inch 1080p LCD HDTV? Maybe even an 52inch 1080p...
  • Reply 16 of 56
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheKid2020 View Post

47inch 1080p LCD HDTV? Maybe even an 52inch 1080p...

No man, I am talking about a computer monitor. Hi-resolution, way beyond 1920x1080. I do not think Apple will make a television. Sure you could use this large ACD as TV if you want, but the ACD will be primary a computer monitor.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:

A step down from what? I just took some standard display resolutions and provided the sizes at 125dpi. Realistically, if Apple were to offer a higher resolution Cinema Display at 1920x1200, I think it would make more sense to use the same 133dpi display now optional for the 17" MBP.

Of course, it's possible that Apple might ship Cinema Displays with non-standard resolutions.

125 DPI + resolution independence = smaller screen space (OS X will use more pixels to render text and UI widgets).

For resolution independence model to work on desktop Macs, Apple will need to offer higher resolution over same sized display. For instance, 1920x1200 on 20", 2560x1600 on 24", etc. That way, you gain both crispier text and widget as well as additional screen space for graphics.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

125 DPI + resolution independence = smaller screen space (OS X will use more pixels to render text and UI widgets).

For resolution independence model to work on desktop Macs, Apple will need to offer higher resolution over same sized display. For instance, 1920x1200 on 20", 2560x1600 on 24", etc. That way, you gain both crispier text and widget as well as additional screen space for graphics.

Thanks -- I knew I couldn't state it that clearly. Same size or bigger, higher resolution.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Yep, the people who buy and use the higher end Cinema Displays want big and sharp, not just sharp.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    They need to provide some more inputs such as component, VGA, and HDMI.