Aqua buttons, Aqua radio-buttons, Aqua check boxes, Aqua sliders, Aqua scroll-bars???

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So we are probably nearing Leopard release candidate by now. So what in the blazes is up with all this Aqua? It's like a dirty band-aid on a healed wound. This has to be some kind of joke. If Leopard ships without Apple stripping it of all these Jellybeans® I'm gonna be surprised and annoyed. Pass the peace pipe, or whatever they're smoking at Apple, cause I think it's high time Apple killed the Aqua beast. Translucent menu-bars etc. I can take, but those buttons and scroll-bars are more than outdated in my book, and I'd bet I'm so not alone in this view. Apple, WTF?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    I don't hate the aqua, but a change to something along the lines of the iTunes scroll bars and checkboxes that matched the new folder colors or something would be nice seeing how so much else has been revamped. I have a feeling that they'll be staying, though.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by details View Post

I don't hate the aqua, but a change to something along the lines of the iTunes scroll bars and checkboxes that matched the new folder colors or something would be nice seeing how so much else has been revamped. I have a feeling that they'll be staying, though.

Wherever this feeling is coming from, banish is now.

Please
  • Reply 3 of 41
    This is a very rough mock-up, but I think something along these lines would be nice...

• Reply 4 of 41
    Quote:

This is a very rough mock-up, but I think something along these lines would be nice...

Nice. A little darker probably and you got it spot on with the iTunes look.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Quote:

Yeah I see where you're going here. Here's some different screenshot I took, all in iTunes.

1st, iTunes non-Aqua scroll-bar,

2nd, iTunes account page button (which I have always loved by the way),

3rd, iTunes equalizer slider,

4th, iTunes equalizer slider (moused):

Where the slider is concerned when Apple doesn't have a dark background, they could add a subtle shadow behind the nearly-white slider to make it more pronounced.

The only real problem I see is the pre-selected button, in this case 'Screen Saver'. What color should that be, so you can hit 'Return' to select it. That's a tricky issue.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah I see where you're going here. Here's some different screenshot I took, all in iTunes.

1st, iTunes non-Aqua scroll-bar,

2nd, iTunes account page button (which I have always loved by the way),

3rd, iTunes equalizer slider,

4th, iTunes equalizer slider (moused):

Where the slider is concerned when Apple doesn't have a dark background, they could add a subtle shadow behind the nearly-white slider to make it more pronounced.

The only real problem I see is the pre-selected button, in this case 'Screen Saver'. What color should that be, so you can hit 'Return' to select it. That's a tricky issue.

I doubt the buttons will be so rounded, but they will look metallic.

Leopard seems to be sprorting a polished platinum look and I agree that aqua does not fit in.

I like aqua, but it is time for a change. Even if aqua were to evolve, that would be fine, but the current iteration does not look good with the rest of leopard.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Here's some more non-Aqua stuff from iTunes:

Die Aqua die!
  • Reply 8 of 41
    I was thinking that the default button would look square, like the buttons that appear in the new .mac galleries. But you'd think that Apple would have implemented them by now....
  • Reply 9 of 41
    I too long for the day Aqua dies. It looks horribly dated, and now completely out of place in the UI.

The iTunes/iPhone look is just about perfect. I don't see why Apple is letting the rotting corpse of the Bondi-blue iMac era remain on the desktop.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Then maybe all of us should send e-mails to Apple saying that Mac OS users would like aqua to disappear? Just a thought...
  • Reply 11 of 41
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I hope you're on the money with this one. Aqua has had its day, and I hope Apple are smart enough to realise this.

Would I be right in saying that if Apple did have alternative, non-aqua plans up its sleeve, it would be simple to swap-out these elements just before release.

I can't help but feel that Leopard's GUI is really dated every time I see an iPhone or iPod touch.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post

Then maybe all of us should send e-mails to Apple saying that Mac OS users would like aqua to disappear? Just a thought...

I have been sending this feedback for some time now.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah

Would I be right in saying that if Apple did have alternative, non-aqua plans up its sleeve, it would be simple to swap-out these elements just before release.

You would indeed, and I suspect Apple will do one more Beta release that does just this, or at least I hope they do. Personally I'd wait an extra month if it meant killing Aqua. I can live with those three Aqua Window buttons, for now at any rate.

Oh, and Apple? Kill those Aqua pop-up lists too. Just kill Aqua.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Kill Aqua..OK with me, but please for the love of all that is good:
    Bury brushed metal in a deep, deep hole. Put a stake through its heart. Set it ablaze. And cover the smoldering ashes with concrete.
    Aqua is candy-land, cute, sweet and getting old. But brushed metal is Larry King.

'Nough said.

• Reply 15 of 41
    Amen.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Bury brushed metal in a deep, deep hole. Put a stake through its heart. Set it ablaze. And cover the smoldering ashes with concrete.

Aqua is candy-land, cute, sweet and getting old. But brushed metal is Larry King.

Brushed Metal is Larry King!!!!!!!!! AAHAHAHAAHAA!!!! That's awesome!
  • Reply 17 of 41
    one of thing always attracted me is the aqua scroll bars, buttons, sliders and so on ...

hmmm
  • Reply 18 of 41
    So you all want a more grey looking interface then?

Something more like os 8-9

Or more windowsy.

Thank god you aint the apple design team.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    You guys think shiny translucent interface elements are dated but I've got news for you. Matte gray interface elements have been done to death since the early days of the GUI. Aqua is still shiny and new compared to this.

Besides the gradients and rounded corners, the direction the interface is moving in looks more like this:

Just playing devil's advocate here. I don't hate the look of Leopard but I don't hate Aqua either nor do I think it is dated. I actually like the subtly striped menus and candy buttons. The new menus without the stripes...that's just going back to the way it was in the past. NOW which is more dated?
  • Reply 20 of 41
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Dduck, I fail to see any similarities between what you posted and the examples that Ireland is showing from iTunes. That stuff is just flat.

I think Apple has learned alot from the GUI of the iPhone. I don't find that old at all and certainly not Aqua. I am ready for a nice surprise from Apple, just like always.