Buy Macbook/Wait for Leopard?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In a week, I'm off to Uni. I need a laptop, and I was thinking I'd get a Macbook. The term starts on the 15th, so I need it by the 14th. And ideally, I'd get it far sooner than that. But the problem is, Leopard is going to be released very, very soon. Apple haven't talked dates yet, but it is supposed to be released in October, there was a 'feature complete' release ages ago, and the current one has only two known issues, neither of which would actually affect the vast majority of people. I think they'll be printing copies within the next week.

So, I'm tempted to just buy it, and then hope Apple would give me the new OS free when it comes out. Does anyone here have experience of how Apple handle such situations? And what length of time between buying the Mac and the release of the OS do you get? And why on earth have they not just come out and said people will get the new OS for free, seeing as this is a cruicial period in computer sales; people going back to work/school/college? Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IJaK View Post

In a week, I'm off to Uni. I need a laptop, and I was thinking I'd get a Macbook. The term starts on the 15th, so I need it by the 14th. And ideally, I'd get it far sooner than that. But the problem is, Leopard is going to be released very, very soon. Apple haven't talked dates yet, but it is supposed to be released in October, there was a 'feature complete' release ages ago, and the current one has only two known issues, neither of which would actually affect the vast majority of people. I think they'll be printing copies within the next week.

So, I'm tempted to just buy it, and then hope Apple would give me the new OS free when it comes out. Does anyone here have experience of how Apple handle such situations? And what length of time between buying the Mac and the release of the OS do you get? And why on earth have they not just come out and said people will get the new OS for free, seeing as this is a cruicial period in computer sales; people going back to work/school/college? Thanks for your time.

I believe you'll only get a Leopard update from the day Leopard is released so if you buy a Mac on that day or after and Tiger is in the box you'll pay only a small fee to upgrade.

I'm having a similar dilema however many experienced users are buying now so they get a tried and tested OS (10.4.10) on their computers. Several people have independantly said to me they won't update until 10.5.2 including an Apple Store employee. I'm going to go to Leopard as soon as possible but since I will be upgrading at least two Macs I'm going to buy the £140 5-user license I'm not worried about that.

If you really do need the MacBook before the start of term buy it now (with your Educational discount of course) and then buy Leopard later on at the Education rate.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Buy MacBook now, update to Leopard in 2008.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I'm pondering the same, basically. I'm buying a Mini the day Apple announces a discount on Leopard for anyone who buys a new Mac. That's probably a week or two away...

...?

I'm guessing, obviously, based on what happened when I bought my current Mac. It came with 10.1 installed (gasp!) after Jaguar was announced. I think I got to pay $19 for Jaguar instead of $129. In that case, I installed it immediately! For Leopard, I'll wait a few weeks to let the dust settle.

Please... Apple... announce Leopard! I want a Mini, but I can wait a few more weeks to save $100.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Went with your advice. I got one yesterday. It's great, and I can't say I'm missing the leopardy features. If they do deliver on time, the guy at the Apple store said I should get Leopard free... if they do the same thing they did last time around. Then I could hang on to the install disk until Leopard's nice and stable.

One question... how do you click an drag with the trackpad? I've got the feature switched on, but that doesn't seem to make much difference.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IJaK View Post

I got one yesterday. It's great, and I can't say I'm missing the leopardy features. If they do deliver on time, the guy at the Apple store said I should get Leopard free...

Uhm... what?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Buy MacBook now, update to Leopard in 2008.

That's what I would do.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    nevenneven Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Several people have independantly said to me they won't update until 10.5.2 including an Apple Store employee.

This has been said about 6 million times on these forums: the typical Apple Store employee is less informed about the inner workings of Apple and their products than a typical visitor of this forum. I'm not mocking the Apple Store employees, but they're STORE employees, not developers, hackers, or analysts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by idoaudio View Post

Uhm... what?

Apple has in the past given free upgrades to the latest version of OS X to people who bought a new Mac within 30 days of the release. They may or may not do it again in October.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ijakijak Posts: 12member
    Ended up getting Leopard for a fiver. Best of both worlds. Seems pretty stable now... ask me again in a month. Maybe I should've posted my 'issues' in here. Sorry.