Nokia launches anti-iPhone campaign amid controversy

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Bloggers and hackers aren't the only ones sticking it to iPhone maker Apple Inc. for its closed minded approach to user-customization of the touch-screen handsets -- Nokia has taken advantage of the situation by launching a print and web campaign dubbed "Open to anything."

"We believe the best devices have no limits. That's why we've left the Nokia Nseries open," the Finland-based handset maker wrote on its new "Open to anything" website. "Open to applications. Open to widgets. Open to anything. So go ahead and load it up. What it does is up to you."

The campaign, which was accompanied by the posting of similarly-worded bills in New York City this past weekend, is an obvious response to the latest iPhone update on Thursday. As Apple had warned, the software patch disabled versions of the Apple handset that had been "unlocked" to operate on wireless carries other than AT&T, while adding a couple of new features like the Wi-Fi iTunes Music Store.

In addition, however, the update wreaked havoc on a number unmodified iPhones and those iPhones which had been only modified to run third-party software applications but had otherwise remained locked to the Apple-approved carrier. Users who reached out to Apple for help in reactivating those phones were turned away (video) in the same manner as those users who had unlocked the devices against Apple's stated policy.

The Cupertino-based firm's harsh stance was met with considerable outrage because, unlike unlocking, users who had installed third-party applications simply to increase the usefulness of their pricey handsets -- in addition to those who had done nothing at all -- were suddenly being informed that they had voided their warranty on the handset as a whole and were on their own in attempting to somehow reactivate those phones.

The matter is complicated by a number of factors, primarily what is now being perceived by some as a poor job on Apple's part to convey its stance on third-party applications to iPhone users earlier in the handset's lifecycle. Recent comments from an Apple executive even made it appear as if the company was taking an indifferent stance to the development and installation such third-party apps. Additionally, Apple's public warning seemed only to target unlockers rather than those installing applications.

What's more, third-party iPhone apps and simple point-and-click applications to easily install them had become as commonplace on the Internet in recent weeks as shareware applications. Therefore, some iPhone owners may have used such applications without a full understanding of the consequences.

As a result of these and other gripes with Apple's iPhone policies, users are now banding together in an attempt to drum up support for a class-action lawsuit against the company under three theoretical classes.

The first class would contain iPhone owners who have used third-party software to access the flash storage on an iPhone, without having altered firmware or installed a program on the device. A second would include owners who had installed third-party apps in the past, but who have since restored their phones to factory defaults but are still suffering from hardware problems such as bad touchscreens.

A third and final class would challenge the whole unlocking issues, which is reportedly legal under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act but discouraged by Apple, which states on the iPhone's packaging and marketing material that an AT&T contract is required for usage.

Nokia bills posted in New York City and shown in the MacRumors forum.

In the meantime, the whole iPhone mess is garnering national recognition from the the mainstream media and slowly snowballing into a public relations nightmare for Apple. The New York Times recently ran a piece that quotes Apple spokesperson Jennifer Bowcock as saying those iPhone owners who are experiencing problems following the recent iPhone update should "purchase a new iPhone." And overseas, the Guardian syndicated Gizmodo's updated recommendation to its readers, which is "Don't Buy" an iPhone:

"Screw the unlock for a second. Let's talk about the those third-party apps," wrote Brian Lam, an editor at the widely read and Apple "approved" gadget blog. "While my 4GB iPhone is a brick, and the 8GB phone, which I kept on a totally legit AT&T contract, is now stripped down. Programs like the faux-GPS, IM clients, Flickr Upload, and NES emulator -- what did they ever do but make the iPhone far better than the stock original? They made it far more competitive with open-platform superphones like the Nokia N95, to which I will now be switching."

While Apple likely mulls a response, Nokia and other would-be rivals are sure to be having a field day with this one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 141
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    In paragraph 4, wrecked should be wreaked.

Still an excellent article and time will tell if this perceived backlash will cause Apple to blink.

The scariest thing about the update from what I've read is it seems many people with vanilla phones ended up with bricks after the v1.1.1 update and Apple seems to be convicting them of hacking without any kind of proof whatsoever.
  • Reply 2 of 141
    Love this. Let's hope that SOMETHING makes Apple open up the iPhone like they should. I will NEVER buy an iPhone until I can run Pocket Quicken & FileMaker Mobile on it, just like I can on my Treo. Apple is shooting itself in the foot if they don't open up the iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 141
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

The scariest thing about the update from what I've read is it seems many people with vanilla phones ended up with bricks after the v1.1.1 update and Apple seems to be convicting them of hacking without any kind of proof whatsoever.

I never planned to buy an iPhone. After reading that they denied service to users with bricked phones that didn't install 3rd party apps or unlock their phones I'm all the more glad I steered clear. HTC, Samsung, and Nokia are the brands I shop for and will remain loyal to them.
  • Reply 4 of 141
    I have absolutely no problem with Apple making life hard for people who have unlocked their iPhones to run on a non-AT&T network. AT&T has made concessions to Apple to make the iPhone what it is (ie, developing visual voicemail, beefing up the EDGE network, developing the innovative iTunes activation process...not to mention sharing subscriber revenues with Apple) and it's fair that Apple protect AT&T's investment in the iPhone for the 2 or 5 year exclusivity period (whatever it really is). That's honest and fair business.

But I *can't stand* Apple's attempt to discourage third-party development. There are TONS of gaps in the Iphone experience that Apple is being glacially slow in addressing. I have no To Do application for my phone. I can't play games on it. I can't record voice notes. Etc. etc. etc. It's been more than 3 months since the iPhone launched, and all Apple has provided is the WiFi iTunes store, which I personally don't need, and which really serves Apple as much as its customers because it lets Apple sell more music.

There's a saying that goes "Lead, follow or get out of the way." When it comes to app development for the iPhone, Apple is clearly not leading. If it won't lead, then it needs to make room for others...
  • Reply 5 of 141
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Perhaps more important is the equally large "class" of potential users who will NEVER buy an iPhone or an iPod touch until Apple opens these devices up and stops playing games with greedy business models.

The best way to wake Apple up is to stop buying into their closed-minded business model and boycott purchasing these devices. Not buy and sue afterward.
  • Reply 6 of 141
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I suspect this tempest in a teapot won't do much to dent Apple's sales (for those few who know and care about the issues, I suspect Apple will pick themselves up and get a better message out.)

However, as one who DOES care, I'm glad to have attention placed on 3rd-party app development. I would guess that Apple didn't break those 3rd-party apps intentionally, but rather they broke as a side-effect of other changes. Now, denying warranty service in such a case contradicts Apple's earlier statements, and if that's been happening to some people and not others then Apple needs to clarify things with their service personnel. Denying service on a phone that has been reversed to its factory state, or that has modifications Apple expressed some support for before, makes no sense at all.

Meanwhile, keep the attention on the need for 3rd-party apps! That's something I very much want when I get an iPhone.

Apple can't officially support 3rd-party apps this soon, even if they wanted to. (It's nothing to do with a "closed attitude.") The OS is young and changing and apps are going to break unless Apple refuses to evolve their platform. But some time--maybe in 3 months? 6?--the platform will be stabilized and Apple can start to offer official developer tools. Let's hope they do so.
  • Reply 7 of 141
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    retraction
  • Reply 8 of 141
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    This is awesome, if these people can beat down apple to the point of allowing thrid party apps, I'll get an iphone when it's release here.

In the meantime, anyone not bricked downgrade your iphone!
  • Reply 9 of 141
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    Am I the only one who automatically fills in "viruses", "contagious", "slut", etc etc when reading "open to anything"?
  • Reply 10 of 141
    I sure hope this whole mess results in a real SDK for the iPhone. That's Apple's only way to save face.

Even if tomorrow Steve announced an SDK would come, but wouldn't be available for three months, people would (to some extent) calm down.

I'm still on the old version (1.0.2 or whatever), for the sole reason that I enjoy the ringtones I've added (my own composition, so no legal worries). I'll wait this one out as long as I can.
  • Reply 11 of 141
    gizmo-xlgizmo-xl Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

There's a saying that goes "Lead, follow or get out of the way." When it comes to app development for the iPhone, Apple is clearly not leading. If it won't lead, then it needs to make room for others...

You are so right about this!!!!

If they really want to control them they could always release a SDK to the Dev world but only allow new applications to be added with Itunes. that have been Apple approved. This would also create another way for Apple to make more money and also put more hands in the cookie jar.....

WiFi - Apps
  • Reply 12 of 141
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    What a tempest in a teapot.
  • Reply 13 of 141
    sandrosandro Posts: 21member
    That the iPhone was sold as an AT&T phone was not a surprise to anyone. If you wanted it you had to switch to AT&T. Maybe the people who are pissed at Apple should have read their license. These people are a bunch of whiners. Hacking your phone to get it to work on T-Mobile is prohibited by the terms of the license and your contract. People who hacked their phones have no complaint against Apple when an update bricks their iPhone. Hacking the iPhone breaks the warranty. What happens to the phone after you hack it is your problem not Apple's.

The highest level of idiocy is exhibited by the guy who after unlocking or hacking his iPhone, proceeds to apply an update from Apple, and is pissed when that update removes the hacks or bricks the phone. At the point that you hack your phone, you have no reasonable expectation of support from Apple.

The only people who are going to see any money from these class actions are the lawyers. The settlements, if they ever come, are not going to be worth the wait. This is just a bunch of sheisters looking for a big payoff.
  • Reply 14 of 141
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Should it not be "What it does is up to you"
  • Reply 15 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

I have absolutely no problem with Apple making life hard for people who have unlocked their iPhones to run on a non-AT&T network. AT&T has made concessions to Apple to make the iPhone what it is (ie, developing visual voicemail, beefing up the EDGE network, developing the innovative iTunes activation process...not to mention sharing subscriber revenues with Apple) and it's fair that Apple protect AT&T's investment in the iPhone for the 2 or 5 year exclusivity period (whatever it really is). That's honest and fair business.

Not really as stated in the article unlocking is legal under Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Apple only offering the iphone through themselves and AT&T is more than enough, as more than 90% of purchasers won't learn how to unlock or install 3rd party apps anyways.

Think of it like game console modding or homebrew or things like that, out of all the consumers out there how many do you honestly think go through all that effort? A very small percentage.

You can take any LG, Nokia, SE, Samsung etc phone and unlock it. It's tough sometimes but it can be done. All those companies signed exclusivity contracts as well. But as always number of people actually doing it are very small.

Apple's stance is wrong because this is happening to people who haven't even modded their phones. They are also wrong because everyone pretty much knows nothing that was recently added to the iphone should brick the phone, it's got to be something extra apple put in just to deal with the unlocking or apps situation, unfortunately for them it's also having adverse effects on people who did nothing wrong. This malicious code is mean spirited and wrong.

And lets face it: Apple knew and wanted people to unlock and mod the iphone from day one, I mean who else on the planet can buy just a phone and "choose your plan and activate on the internet?" It was always painfully obvious that the only reason you can walk in and buy the phone without any kind of contract or plan was to encourage people to crack it. Only flack from AT&T has made Apple do this which is why their public stance on the matter has been so bizarre and varied.
  • Reply 16 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post

Am I the only one who automatically fills in "viruses", "contagious", "slut", etc etc when reading "open to anything"?

Yeah! I immediately thought "what a slutty phone," when I read that!
  • Reply 17 of 141
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    As an iPhone user, I have to say that the iPhone is still the best phone experience out there, bar none.

Third party apps are cool and they'll come again once the hackers stop bitching and start working on getting their apps back on the iPhone.

Hasn't stopped any of my friends from going out and getting more iPhones. This is the only negative thing that has SOME merit, that's why this is making the news lately. Like all things, this will pass.

And it doesn't take away from the phone that you bought.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 18 of 141
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    iPhone doesn't do everything that other phones do but there is no other phone that does everything that iPhone does either. If iPhone doesn't do something you need, don't buy it, or go complain to Nokia that their phone doesn't run iTunes, etc.
  • Reply 19 of 141
    age234age234 Posts: 27member
    I usually stand by Apple on things like this, but they're really going too far lately.

They disabled video output on iPods because it drains the battery. They are moving heaven and earth to stop app development on the iPhone because of virus fears.

Doesn't there come a point where it's MY choice, as the consumer, whether I want to risk my battery life or viruses?

Yes, the iPhone is the best phone out there for what it does, but that doesn't excuse Apple from at least giving developers some kind of SDK, even if it's a completely airtight one and only certain companies can get licensed to use it, or something.

Web 2.0 can't do everything. As someone else said, lead, follow, or get out of the way.

[edit] And people, the "love it or leave it" attitude doesn't help Apple make better products.
  • Reply 20 of 141
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by age234 View Post

They disabled video output on iPods because it drains the battery. They are moving heaven and earth to stop app development on the iPhone because of virus fears.

Both false as far as I can see.

iPods and iPhones all have video output (well, not the Shuffle ) and in fact Apple has changed the video-out system, adding component out for higher quality. They sell video cables made for the new system, and we may expect 3rd-party cables soon too.

And I see no evidence that Apple wants to stop 3rd party apps. I've seen plenty of evidence that they are not going to any effort to make sure those apps survive each update.