Apple unleashes new "Seed Update" for Leopard testers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Inc. on Monday provided its developer community with yet another small update to its upcoming Leopard operating system, this time adding a couple of bug fixes and proceeding with tests on the system's software update mechanism.

The 1.5MB update, labeled "Mac OS X Leopard 9A557 and 9A559 Seed Update 1.0," was recommended for all users testing Mac OS X Leopard build 9A557 or 9A559, but did not represent a new build in itself, according to people familiar with the matter.

Instead, Apple reportedly initiated the release to test "new features" of Leopard's embedded Software Update mechanism. It also repaired issues with wireless networking and RAW image viewing under the next-gen OS, expected to be released sometime later this month.

Apple issued two similar automatic software updates for Leopard testers about 10 days ago, with which it also claimed to be evaluating the system's software updater. The company then quickly followed up with a full-blown Leopard build release in which it instructed testers with HP printers to deselect any and all HP printer drivers from the Leopard installer. Apple said those drivers could be obtained via Leopard's Software Update mechanism once the new build had been installed.

It was later disclosed to MacNN that HP and Apple are working together to allow users of the finalized version of Mac OS X Leopard to instantly receive the the latest versions of HP's printer drivers over a new version of Software Update that will ship with the operating system later this month.

"HP has a large market share with Apple customers and is very pleased that Apple has chosen HP drivers and software to test with the latest Leopard developer seed and software update process," a representative for HP said.

Apple has said it plans to release Leopard in October and recent pre-release builds of the software are believed to be approaching release candidate status, if they are not already considered as such.

AppleInsider also recently cited sources who note that Apple in recent weeks determined that it would need to increased the requirements for Leopard to exclude 800MHz PowerPC G4-based system. Instead, it's now believed the software will now require Macs with "an Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 (867 MHz or faster) or G5 processor." Other system requirements will include a DVD drive, built-in FireWire, at least 512MB of RAM (additional recommended), and at least 9GB of hard disk space.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    It'll go GM tomorrow or the next day or the next or the next day or...
  • Reply 2 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I have had nothing but problems with the Software Updater--only Leopard issue I have--since the last update to it just prior to the 9A559 release. It will download some data and then stalls. It will sit there indefinitely doing that. I have to Quit (not Force Quit) Software Updater and restart it. The silver lining is that it keeps a record of the data from the previous download so it can start where it left off. This 1.5MB download took three attempts to get the whole thing. I hope this one fixes it.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    F**k, I thought it was a bomb to blow up Aqua, darn.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    This can't be the GM just yet. One of the known issues with 9A559 was a risk of data corruption when upgrading a PowerPC machine. You can't fix corrupt data with Software Update.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Does the Automatic Updates window still say there are new updates after you've installed all the available updates? I can see why it does, but it's always bothered me just a bit...
  • Reply 6 of 32
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Me sits quietly awaiting leopard and not to concerned about the update bug from Tiger to Leopard on PPC macs as I will do a clean install to be sure of any current problems get tossed out first.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au View Post

Me sits quietly awaiting leopard and not to concerned about the update bug from Tiger to Leopard on PPC macs as I will do a clean install to be sure of any current problems get tossed out first.

Personally, I wouldn't do that. Updating a Unix based system is much more straightforward than it is in Windows. Plus you get all your setting and data coming with you as well. I've never had an issue with an OS X version update.

But if you really want to do this you should signup for a free 60-day .Mac trial which will flawlessly sync all your settings and some data.

These include:

? Bookmarks

? Calenders

? Contacts

? Dashboard Widgets

? Dock Items

? Keychains

? Mail Accounts

? Mail Rules, Signatures, and Smart Mailboxes

? Notes

? Preferences
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have had nothing but problems with the Software Updater--only Leopard issue I have--since the last update to it just prior to the 9A559 release. It will download some data and then stalls. It will sit there indefinitely doing that. I have to Quit (not Force Quit) Software Updater and restart it. The silver lining is that it keeps a record of the data from the previous download so it can start where it left off. This 1.5MB download took three attempts to get the whole thing. I hope this one fixes it.

Same problem here Worked fine on an old PPC Mac Mini, but on Intel - the same behavior as yours.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    First and the foremost, Leopard's Address Book and iCal are apparently incompatible with Tiger's, at least on .Mac level: they won't sync between the two.

Another issue is Finder crashes, when you copy files using Apple Remote Desktop v3.1.

And one more issue is Back To My Mac is not working properly.

And there's still no resolution independence.

Front Row freezes up when you try to view certain VIDEO_TS folders from ripped DVDs, after which it stays in memory, consuming 100% of CPU

Time Machine backs up files, owned by other users (root in my example), but can't restore them - it lets you choose them, lets you click RESTORE button, but does nothing. The only way to restore such files is to go directly to the snapshot and copy the files from there manually.

And one more thing: while Steve Jobs promised a consistent look across the system, there still are two kinds of scroll bars (Aqua and the new plastic look), and a bunch of different kinds of buttons, even within a single application. For example, Apple Mail 3.0 has its own buttons in the tool bar, but has standard Aqua buttons in all dialog windows, and uses Aqua scroll bars. The same goes for Finder. iTunes, on the other hand, has plastic scroll bars and its window doesn't become lighter in color, when in background, while Finder and Mail do.

And can anybody please explain to me why in the world anybody would care about the new 3D dock? Especially when shadows behind the dock totally mismatch the dock's appearance and depth.

In short, the current release seems to be a long shot from being a release candidate.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by farlander View Post

Same problem here Worked fine on an old PPC Mac Mini, but on Intel - the same behavior as yours.

After that it wouldn't install It just sat there in limbo.

I then logged into my Admin account, deleted the download from /Library/Packages and then I downloaded it again and it installed fine.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    These are the issues that I rather do a clean install. But first and for most backup my personal data which is rather easy enough and replace it and applications after the install.

I have seen to many issues after doing archive and installs. This is pretty much the samething when I would be going from Tiger to leopard.

There is no guarantee that all apps are going to work straight away in leopard.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:

Neither is mine. It asks me for the SCHelper password which I don't know. I've posted the question on Apple's developer site but have yet to get an answer.

Also, my Address Book has not synced with .Mac for a couple months. Still can't figure that one out but I'm sure it's Leopard related.

BTW, welcome to AI and good post for being a newbie here. Quality posts from new posters doesn't happen often.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

First and the foremost, Leopard's Address Book and iCal are apparently incompatible with Tiger's, at least on .Mac level: they won't sync between the two.

Another issue is Finder crashes, when you copy files using Apple Remote Desktop v3.1.

Front Row freezes up when you try to view certain VIDEO_TS folders from ripped DVDs, after which it stays in memory, consuming 100% of CPU

Time Machine backs up files, owned by other users (root in my example), but can't restore them - it lets you choose them, lets you click RESTORE button, but does nothing. The only way to restore such files is to go directly to the snapshot and copy the files from there manually.

And one more thing: while Steve Jobs promised a consistent look across the system, there still are two kinds of scroll bars (Aqua and the new plastic look), and a bunch of different kinds of buttons, even within a single application. For example, Apple Mail 3.0 has its own buttons in the tool bar, but has standard Aqua buttons in all dialog windows, and uses Aqua scroll bars. The same goes for Finder. iTunes, on the other hand, has plastic scroll bars and its window doesn't become lighter in color, when in background, while Finder and Mail do.

And can anybody please explain to me why in the world anybody would care about the new 3D dock? Especially when shadows behind the dock totally mismatch the dock's appearance and depth.

In short, the current release seems to be a long shot from being a release candidate.

Regarding RI, when you release some RI Displays [basically LCDs that are several hundred pixels per inch] then presto chango! RI is on.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    I should be a developer so I can be the first to use stuff like Leopard. Dang I want to see what you guys are seeing. I literally can't wait for Leopard!
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustBrady View Post

I should be a developer so I can be the first to use stuff like Leopard. Dang I want to see what you guys are seeing. I literally can't wait for Leopard!

Well, LITERALLY you will wait.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

Things like this really start to worry me. Can all these issues be taken care of this month? Even then, I mean, it's not necessarily by the end this month.

It still has to go Gold Master then be put on discs and shipped to the Apple store... I just don't see it coming out this month... but at the same time I don't think they want to disappoint shareholders, but why wait this long to tell everyone about a delay?

I don't know what Apple is doing with Leopard right now, but hopefully we will find out soon.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NarutoSasuke View Post

Things like this really start to worry me. Can all these issues be taken care of this month? Even then, I mean, it's not necessarily by the end this month.

It still has to go Gold Master then be put on discs and shipped to the Apple store... I just don't see it coming out this month... but at the same time I don't think they want to disappoint shareholders, but why wait this long to tell everyone about a delay?

I don't know what Apple is doing with Leopard right now, but hopefully we will find out soon.

I don't think it will be delayed again. I think it will go Gold soon for a Tuesday, October 30th release. I know some of the issues farlander mentions* are real (haven't checked everything) but I think that the overall stability & speed for items that most people will be using are 'good enough' for x.0 release, especially when compared to Vista's release. Plus, in the weeks that Apple needs it printed Apple will still be working on the x.1, which we may see in Software Update the day if the release or very soon after.

* Here are his issues with the latest build:

• Two are related to .Mac syncing & Contacts/iCal & Back to Mac. I'm having this too but .Mac really needs some improvement. I put the blame there.

• Issues with Remote Desktop 3.1 on Leopard. This can be solved with a Remote Desktop update via Software Update. Leopard has it's own remote desktop built into Finder which may be causing some issues with use of frameworks. I find it much simpler to use, though it has less features. It doesn't work when connecting to Tiger.

• Front Row freezing on some Video_TS files. Again, I don't think this is a deal breaker for going Gold. An update to Front Row down the line should do the trick.

• Time Machine** won't let you restore files that aren't owned by the user. This is also a seemingly simple fix that can be pushed out with an update to Time Machine. Time Machine shouldn't even be listing these files owned by Root as it's not even enabled by default.

• No Resolution Independence as far as i can tell looks like a no but I can't be sure, but I really don't need it on my notebook displays so I haven't given it much thought. Apple won't hold off going Gold to wait for RI to be ready.

• There are some cosmetics that need to be worked out. Save for iTunes, Aqua scroll bars are still in most apos. Again, this won't keep Apple from going Gold. I think it says that Apple has focused on stability and speed of Leopard instead of the little things that can be fixed later screams to me that an October release is going to happen.

** We've all seen the latest default background and startup background of build 9A559. To me it's directly relating to Time Machine. I wonder if Apple will also be selling an Apple-branded external HDD enclosure and drive when Leopard is released. The requirements for Leopard I read this week state it requires FireWire. Why? That makes no sense to me unless Apple--for marketing reason-- is really trying to showcase Time Machine. If so, then I'd also expect to see FW800 on the next iteration of Macbook.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't think it will be delayed again. I think it will go Gold soon for a Tuesday, October 30th release. I know some of the issues farlander mentions* are real (haven't checked everything) but I think that the overall stability & speed for items that most people will be using are 'good enough' for x.0 release, especially when compared to Vista's release. Plus, in the weeks that Apple needs it printed Apple will still be working on the x.1, which we may see in Software Update the day if the release or very soon after.

I see what you are saying and I'm just wanting it to be stable. I'm super excited about performance gains though, this will technically be my first Mac OS Upgrade. I bought my iMac G5 (20") in Oct '05 and Tiger had been released a couple of months before... I jumped on the bandwagon late.

Having a Core2Duo MacBook Pro, I think 64-bit and better use of dual-core processors will really benefit and I'm just looking forward to any type of performance gains. I'm sure the 3rd party software will follow suit very soon after Leopard is released.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Yikes.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swilcox View Post

Well, LITERALLY you will wait.

Insightful first post! Welcome to AI!