Report: Zune sequel to break cover as early as Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    As long as the new Zunes are priced about as low as iPods and have a pretty good web browser (maybe not touchscreen, but something almost as efficient) then that WiFi will be a VERY nice advantage over an iPod (not counting the Touch).

If not, then the WiFi is a non-feature. There aren't enough Zune users out there to communicate with--if communicating with strangers is your thing. (I can't imagine Zune-style WiFi "squirting" catching on big-time even if every iPod in the world had it.)
  • Reply 22 of 59
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    The headline for this article should have read:

Zune sequel to break wind as early as Tuesday
  • Reply 23 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alansky View Post

The headline for this article should have read:

Zune sequel to break wind as early as Tuesday

Are you saying that the Zune is brown and smells funny? Hmmmm.

It's nice to see Microsoft is trying to copy Apples previous, previous generation iPod. Maybe by 2010 they will be caught up to this years iPods. Just think what the 2010 iPods will be like.

Bottom line, any Zune player will fail without the support of the iTunes software. Analysts just don't understand that the power of the iPod lies in the iTunes music management system, not the hardware (which is totally amazing in its own right).

Apple stock was upgraded today by the big boys (Deuche Bank!), based on stong Mac, iPod and iPhone sales. In other words everything that Apple sells is out selling anything else out there right now. Which explains why AAPL stock just sailed through $150/share on it way to $200 at least.

My IRA thanks you Mr. Jobs.
  • Reply 24 of 59
    You know... as much as we talk about the iPod "Halo Effect", Apple could really be seeing an "MP3-player metaphorical effect" (this is a term destined to be forgotten, thank god!)

What I mean is that many people know Microsoft Windows. And they've heard of a Mac but they don't know much about it but assume Windows is better. As the Zune becomes more well known, people will see MS Zune vs Apple iPod... and notice the the iPod is better (for now anyway). When they then compare MS Windows vs Apple Mac, they may start to assume that the Mac is better.

ie: "Hey I'm SURE that the iPod is better than the Zune.

Therefore I guess the Mac is better than Windows."
  • Reply 25 of 59
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    i should probably buy an original brown zune and keep it in the box. Some day it might be a collectors item.

its not much good for anything else
  • Reply 26 of 59
    jpmukjpmuk Posts: 19member
    I think we can see why Apple made the new nano the 'fatty'. They must have known that MS would have copied the nano as close as possible so were forced to change it completely to differentiate it. MicroSoft really is that dull and predictable...

Come on, someone tell me one really useful innovation that the worlds richest company, who calls itself an innovator, has given the world.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    Just what I wanted for the Holidays. A new Social (disease).
  • Reply 28 of 59
    What's a Zune?
  • Reply 29 of 59
    A second generation Zune?! Well, squirt me brown.
  • Reply 30 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    MS should name this Zune 95. It has a nice familiar ring to it and gives them three years to design Zune 98.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    Oh, poor brown, we hardly knew ye!

Quote:

. . . and would therefore be smaller than the first- or second-generation iPod nano in almost every respect

Especially in sales!
  • Reply 32 of 59
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Honestly, the Zune is a perfectly acceptable mp3 player. It's only the software that really kills the experience. The hardware is just fine.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    and Steve & Inc. are forced to drop the price of the iPod Touch by a couple hunnerd bucks before Christmas.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Honestly, the Zune is a perfectly acceptable mp3 player. It's only the software that really kills the experience. The hardware is just fine.

Have they fixed it? Is the Zune store any better?
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Have they fixed it? Is the Zune store any better?

I dunno, I synced mine once and have been using iTunes otherwise. The software really is horrific. It's a shame, though, because the device itself, despite being pretty bulky, has a rather nice interface and feels really nice in the hand (the textured plastic they used feels great - very friendly).

Of course, now that I'm using an iPod Touch everything else seems old and busted by comparison.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Oh, poor brown, we hardly knew ye!

Especially in sales!

"What can brown do for you - today"

If they in fact are making it in brown - hell, they'll should have gone all the way, and made it yellow
  • Reply 37 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Poor kid indeed, so got up and left huh. Must have that terrible disease embarasstobeseeninpublicwithzuneitis.

Don't worry, with iPod pre-innoculation, you can't catch it!

• Reply 38 of 59
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

'Perfectly acceptable' just doesn't cut it against the iPod, though.

The Zune will be kissing the canvas while the ref counts it out... again. \

• Reply 39 of 59
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Um... so where's our Noo Zune?
  • Reply 40 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

'Perfectly acceptable' just doesn't cut it against the iPod, though.

The Zune will be kissing the canvas while the ref counts it out... again. \

Eh, it competes in a different cost-space at the moment. I got mine for $150. At the time $150 for a pretty solid 30gb player was nothing to sneeze at.